Coral Vue Hydros

Cycle Question in 2.5g Pico with LR and LS from established aquarium.

neowind712

So I have been doing reef aquariums for 10-15 years. This go around I want to try something new and I was hoping you guys could give me a little guidance on what to expect. 

Here is the scenario. 

2.5 Gallon Pico Aquarium All in One

Live Sand purchased from PetSmart in a bag

Scoop of sand out of LFS established aquarium

Fully Established Live Rock from LFS

Salt Water from LFS

So my question is based on the live sand and the established LR that I have purchased and had in the water in less than 30 minutes during transport, what type of cycle should I expect?  Will I see a full cycle of 4-6 weeks?  Will I see any cycle at all?  Will I see a quick cycle of 1-3 weeks? 

I know its impossible to say for sure, but just looking for opinions.

Thanks,

Neowind712

It should be a smooth sailing based on what you’ve said. Small spike? Likely, but nothing major given you didn’t take anything nasty with that sand or LR. 

If that LR and LS was pest/issue free, you don’t have much to worry about. 

It’s probably how I would start a tank so I am curious hiw that works out for you in a couple weeks time. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

It should be a smooth sailing based on what you’ve said. Small spike? Likely, but nothing major given you didn’t take anything nasty with that sand or LR. 

If that LR and LS was pest/issue free, you don’t have much to worry about. 

It’s probably how I would start a tank so I am curious hiw that works out for you in a couple weeks time. 

That's how I started my pico - just grabbed a piece of rock from an up and running system. No spike at all and had coral and CUC in there the same day I set it up. Makes it so much easier if you are using rock from a long-established mature system if you can spare it.

• Like 1

After a week I had corals, anemone and two fish in my frag tank that I setup in somewhat similar way. LR + MarinePure spheres with established bacteria from my other tank. The easiest way to setup new tank in my experience. YMMV. Sure I had few tinny spikes within first 2 or 3 weeks but nothing major. 

• Like 2

So I should probably clarify one point to make sure we are all on the same page.  The rock that I purchased was in a large tank with lights over it.  The rock was fully covered in coralline algae.  There were however no fish in this tank.  So would that still be considered established live rock?

1 hour ago, neowind712 said:

So I should probably clarify one point to make sure we are all on the same page.  The rock that I purchased was in a large tank with lights over it.  The rock was fully covered in coralline algae.  There were however no fish in this tank.  So would that still be considered established live rock?

Yes, I would say so.