Top Shelf Aquatics

MrObscura's Nuvo 10... still reefing.

MrObscura

Just dipped and trimmed some of the corals. The tenuis was completely  gone and I couldn't save any of it. The milli was trimmed to a little nub, so we'll see. And the two birdsnest needed to be trimmed quite a bit, but theres a good amount of flesh and polyps left so they could recover. 

And there's still something about my tank that encrusting montis don't like. They look better than they have  but they've always looked chalky and lack PE. Yet, the digi looks great. 

Not looking too bad all things considered. No3 is high(30 or 40) but corals are happy, and algea actually isn't bad, so I'm not going to worry about it. Especially since po4 is just finally detectable. 

Though, I was wondering... is there anyway to reduce no3 without reducing po4? 

20190302_222323.jpg

• Like 2

Water change day, Just a little update... Dinos have stayed away and most corals look great. The only ones that don't are the ones that were struggling from the beginning. 

No3/po4 are staying steady, and though I'm not worrying about them they are higher than need be at 40ppm no3 and somewhere between 0.01-.25 po4(colors are impossible to distinguish). 

As mentioned they are remaining level and not rising so I'd like to stick with my current routine since the tanks happy. I think they just got high due to 3 weeks of no waterchanges and I just want  to bring the down a little without changing things up too much. I debated running chemi blue again for bit but that won't reduce no3 and might strip po4 too much again, so I decided to dose some microbacter7 figuring a natural biological approach is preferable. Hopefully, the extra bacteria will get no3/po4 down to were I want them and then weekly waterchanges will keep them there. Well see... 

Well, decided to stop being lazy and just do a series of smallish daily waterchanges to get nutrients down a bit. 

Might as well, I got the rodi unit for a reason. and a 2g wc is quick and easy. 

Christopher Marks

I just caught up on the outcome of the low nutrient cyano situation, I'm so glad to see it reverse course with raising nitrates and phosphates for new algae to outcompete the cyano.

It's really looking awesome now @MrObscura! Do you think you'll ever add a sand bed back to your nano reef?

• Like 1

Unfortunately, in the end it was dinos I had to battle, but thanks. 

I still need to find a balance to keep nutrients up but not crazy high. 

As for the sand, naw,  I don't miss it. I'm just going to place corals where the glass is bottom is visible. 

• Like 1

Just got back from a swap. Same one I went to a few months ago, it's small and doesn't have the most stuff, but I came away with a few deals. Though no one wanted to haggle today and even 5 bucks off often was too much to ask. 

Anyway got a fox flame, some twizzlers, white zombies, and Latin lovers. 

Waiting for some water to heat up so I can dip them and get them in the tank. I'll take some pics later. 

Just a quick update. The all for reef experiment was a failure, I just couldn't get it dialed in. So, I ordered another x1 and some b ionic which I just set up. 

The instability of the all for reef caused some big dips and spikes which may take a toll on a couple acros... We'll see. 

Otherwise things are looking pretty good. And there's a frag swap coming up!

20190419_222227.jpg

• Like 4

New corals! Best haul yet. Walt Disney, Bubble Bath Unicorn, Pink Cadillac, WWC AOI, Cherry Corals Cherry Limeade, and an awesome multi colored Ric Florida. All for just a little more than the price of one of the high ends retail. 

Its a tease, but no pics yet. Literally just got back and waiting for dip water to heat up. Plus my lights don't come on for another 4 hours anyway. Pics later. 

• Wow 1

It's taking a lot less bionic to keep up with consumption than I thought. Diluted 50:50 with rodi to boot. Granted Im only losing about 0.2dkh a day now after dinos took a number of corals out and most are still small. Based on the recommended use dosing 1.2ml of both parts should do. But that actually raised my target 8.5 to 8.9, so I'm going to let it fall over the next couple of days and try just a single small 0.6ml dose at lights out and go from there.

On 4/27/2019 at 1:00 PM, MrObscura said:

New corals! Best haul yet. Walt Disney, Bubble Bath Unicorn, Pink Cadillac, WWC AOI, Cherry Corals Cherry Limeade, and an awesome multi colored Ric Florida. All for just a little more than the price of one of the high ends retail. 

Its a tease, but no pics yet. Literally just got back and waiting for dip water to heat up. Plus my lights don't come on for another 4 hours anyway. Pics later. 

Pics!!!! Lol

• Like 1

Somewhat crappy pics. And Ignore the recovering montis behind the new frags, they where trimmed after the dinos and I'm letting them regrow. 

20190428_145129.jpg

20190428_145032.jpg

20190428_144343.jpg

20190428_144210.jpg

20190428_014313.jpg

20190428_014000.jpg

20190428_013640.jpg

• Like 4

Just a little update. After a month of letting the new frags settle in on the rack I finally mounted them. I lost the cherry limeade for some reason, but everything else looks good and is coloring up. It was kind of dull when I got it and I figured it was just a little browned out, maybe it just wasn't in the best of health to begin with?

A weird thing happened earlier this week when my Alk weirdly stopped dropping  but then suddenly started again. But params all tested where I like them and corals look good. 

Just to be sure I tested all params today before my waterchange and they were shockingly good. Everything pretty much hit my target. 

Alk 8.5

Cal 435

Mag 1300

No3 24

Po4 0.06

Ph 8.2

The tank is nearing the 1 year mark so just maybe it, and I, our getting into a Grove. 

The tanks staring to take shape now in regards to how I envisioned it with sections dedicated to certain corals. I just wish I had a little more room for a bigger acan garden, and more space for acros up top. But I can still fit a number of them... and I have a list. 

Crappy phone pic for ya... 

20190525_031052.jpg

• Like 2

Red sea no3 pro

I went with the "algea management" kit witch comes with 100 tests of both no3 and po4 for like 45 bucks. I wanted something better for both and and this was by far the best value. And reagent refills are like 10 bucks. 

Only thing is you need to mix just 1ml of tank water with 15ml of rodi for the no3 test otherwise it's low range. And they take a while, 15 minutes for po4 and 9 for no3. 

But overall I like them. They're still color based but its easy to tell if no3 and po4 are above 0 and below my high end target. 

• Like 1
  • MrObscura changed the title to MrObscura's Nuvo 10... still reefing.