Coral Vue Hydros

My Fluval 13.5 Modded pics!

nsousa

1 hour ago, Sarah Ann said:

Looks great!

Can you post a pic of how you have your InTank skimmer adjuster attached? Yours looks like it is different than mine, and working much better 😕

I'm running a Fluval Spec III and am really happy with the Fluval tank. I hope you're liking yours!

Hi there,  basically its backwards. Have you seen the youtube video intank made for the mediabasket?  Its shows how to install the skimmer plate.  

I can post a pic tomorrow if you'd like.

What issues are you having??

1 minute ago, nsousa said:

Hi there,  basically its backwards. Have you seen the youtube video intank made on for the mediabasket?  Its shows how to install the skimmer plate.  

I can post a pic tomorrow if you'd like.

What issure are you having??

Well, my issue now is that I broke it while trying to install it backwards, because that's what I gathered from the pics. lol.

Basically, I'm not getting any variance in water level from the main display to the rear sump, no matter how I adjust the skimmer attachment, making it useless. I'd really like to have the cascading affect like yours. I may try a stronger return pump, but I'm already pushing 70ish gpm in a 3 gallon tank.

8 hours ago, nsousa said:

Just thought i would post some update pics. 

Latest parameters are

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 5ppm

And phosphates 0.1

Threw in some chemipure elite to help with phosphates.  

Not that they are high but just to control and nip it.

Also upgraded my wave pump to the Aqamai kps.

Diatoms are completely gone now i just have some green light algae that has replaced the diatoms that is completely normal.   I dialed down the light schedule to help deal with the light algae.  Also lots of nice purple, pink spots all over the rock. Coralline!!!!

Here are some pics.

20180609_165337.jpg

20180609_165358.jpg

20180609_165416.jpg

20180609_165348.jpg

20180609_165350.jpg

20180609_165334.jpg

Tank's looking very nice, that gsp is cool looking but I might recommend separating it from the main rock work so it doesn't try to take over. :wink:

9 hours ago, Sarah Ann said:

Well, my issue now is that I broke it while trying to install it backwards, because that's what I gathered from the pics. lol.

Basically, I'm not getting any variance in water level from the main display to the rear sump, no matter how I adjust the skimmer attachment, making it useless. I'd really like to have the cascading affect like yours. I may try a stronger return pump, but I'm already pushing 70ish gpm in a 3 gallon tank.

Hi Sarah,

here is a pic of the skimmer plate installed on my media basket.   

Where did yours break?  If you have the pieces glue them with gorilla glue. You can buy it at most hardware stores (Home depot has it for sure)  you have a pic of your tank?

20180610_074904.jpg

Here is a pic of the diatoms after math.  It's not slimy and can't scrape it off so it's a good sign also lots of the coraline algae seems like it's spotted everywhere throughout

20180610_102354.jpg

20180610_102345.jpg

20180610_102339.jpg

20180610_102009.jpg

Thanks! Mine broke at the perforation. Not all is lost. I think my water variance is less/none because mine only has one chamber and I modded the top of the baffle so my Kessil A80 fits on. I'm not getting any surface goo though. I'll take pics of my rear chambers when my light is a bit brighter in a few hours. Here's the link to my tank thread 🙂

Here are some photos. You can see how the rear chamber water level is almost the same as the display. Also, even if I raise the skimmer attachment higher than the water, water seems to be getting sucked into the rear chamber around it instead of over it. 

6FC45304-37B2-4119-8174-A73CDCA2BADC.jpeg

AC85A1DD-DEFC-42DA-8F08-A9BBB3432AA2.jpeg

FA39661F-78B6-48CD-8E94-C4E10C493AFB.jpeg

A7239AE8-BE33-4F59-B44A-156E7A59E62C.jpeg

A6E66F61-55DD-4FE1-A099-5B797075EFCA.jpeg

I can see in the pic the side are open which doesnt for all water up to the skimmer plate. 

Which media are you running in your basket?  My past experience i over did it with media which slowed the flow down alot.    Also if your running the stock pump try upgrading.   Id love to recommend one but im not familiar with up grades on this tank.   But maybe more flow will speed up the water circulation forcing it to the top.

3 hours ago, nsousa said:

I can see in the pic the side are open which doesnt for all water up to the skimmer plate. 

Which media are you running in your basket?  My past experience i over did it with media which slowed the flow down alot.    Also if your running the stock pump try upgrading.   Id love to recommend one but im not familiar with up grades on this tank.   But maybe more flow will speed up the water circulation forcing it to the top.

My InTank basket has a lot of room. I may try bulking it up. I just have carbon and biomedia in there right now, with filter floss cut to fit on the top shelf. The pump is "upgraded" to the one from my old IM Nuvo 10, which pushes about 90gph, so the pump size is good, though I will be upgrading it anyways to the Tunze centrifugal pump, that is adjustable to a 225 max return output, so I'll play with that when I do.

I will probably have to find some thin plastic and fiddle with a custom mod to make this work well on my tank. 

6 hours ago, Sarah Ann said:

My InTank basket has a lot of room. I may try bulking it up. I just have carbon and biomedia in there right now, with filter floss cut to fit on the top shelf. The pump is "upgraded" to the one from my old IM Nuvo 10, which pushes about 90gph, so the pump size is good, though I will be upgrading it anyways to the Tunze centrifugal pump, that is adjustable to a 225 max return output, so I'll play with that when I do.

I will probably have to find some thin plastic and fiddle with a custom mod to make this work well on my tank. 

LooKS like some moding is in order for you😀

This sucks came home earlier to find my Sicce 1.0 pump wasn't working and raised temp almost 2 degrees not a big deal since I can maintain a pretty consistent 78 so it was almost 80.  

The pump was warm but not circulating water.  Really odd I've only had this pump for 3 months.   Frag box was closed where I get my supplies so I went to big als since they had the Eheim CompactON 1000.   Pretty impressed so far(only been using for 3 hours) seems much quieter than the sicce.

Specs are pretty similar but the Ehiem a bit smaller which is make a bit easier to install.   Hopefully lasts longer than 3 months

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought i would post some updated pics of my tank!

Been trying to lower nitrates for awhile with weekly water changes and cant get it lower than 10ppm.  Its 10ppm before water change and it 10ppm when i test 2 days later.   

Either way everything seems like its doing well.   I just the par on the light(highly suggest i was way off)

Changed my media to try and combat this nitrate.   We'll in a few weeks 

1st chamber running  floss, chemi pure nano 2 packs, red sea carbon and some phosguard.

2nd chamber housing 6 pieces of marine pure balls.

20180629_155046.jpg

20180629_155002.jpg

20180629_154932.jpg

20180629_154841.jpg