Cultivated Reef

My Fluval 13.5 Modded pics!

nsousa

Water can cloud for several reasons the most likely is a bacterial bloom which sorts itself out in time. Another option would be likely just after the large water change if it stirred up the substrate but sediment usually settles out in a day or so. For some causes, carbon can be used to polish the water. Are you running any carbon?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, MrJoel said:

Water can cloud for several reasons the most likely is a bacterial bloom which sorts itself out in time. Another option would be likely just after the large water change if it stirred up the substrate but sediment usually settles out in a day or so. For some causes, carbon can be used to polish the water. Are you running any carbon?

Im running in chamber 1

Floss, purigen and 2 small bags of carbon pellets(aqua forest brand)

Chamber 2 

Matrix bio filtration

And floss.

Im running both intank media baskets.

All media was installed right after cycle finished 

20180430_134737.jpg

20180430_135646.jpg

Its mosty likely some sort of bacterial thing.

Way back when i had my 150, my daughter decided the fish were thirsty and dosed a full can of coca cola. (yea yikes). Tank went cloudy for a week, but then cleared up. (several very large water changes and almost a pound of carbon).

Silly question, did you rinse your carbon & purigen really well before adding?

As long as your clown is doing clownfish things (eating like a pig, typical bobbing, hovering, and fin wagging) I wouldnt worry all that much. Your tank is newly cycled, and while ready for inhabitants, may not have had it's algae bloom(s)

• Like 1

Yeah sort of what i figured. Ive been pretty successful spot feeding him pellets he usually eats 2-3 only once per day.   No waste since im dropping only 1 at time.    

He seems likes he happy.

Wiggles his tail and fins.   Parameters all check in so i shouldnt really be fussed about this.   Things happen i just really wanna make sure i do all i can within my control.   

I really wanna upgrade down the road to something bigger i love the Red Sea Reefer series tanks i can picture my self owning 1 within a year or so.    Just gotta prove to myself and others here at home(wife) i can to do this before upgrading.

Will feel really rewarding to see this tank grow and mature!!

Thanks to the members help and guidance for those with less knowledge.

Just picked up a small clean up crew consisting 

Of 3 small nassarius snails, 1 blue leg hermit crab, 1 astrea snail and 1 cerith snail.   Thats all i want for now.   

Also my water has really cleared up in the last 2-3 days.

20180505_120718.jpg

20180505_120658.jpg

20180505_120710.jpg

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, JBM said:

Mmmmm diatoms. Nom nom nom

Hahahahahaha🤣🤣🤣😂😂

My nassarius snail already tried to escape the tank.

Just added my 1st corals!!

Heres what i got so far

1) 2 small occelaris clowns

2) 1cerith snail

3) 3 small nassarius

4) 1 margarita black snail

5) 1 astera snail

6)small cleaner shrimp

7) 1 gsp frag

😎 1 candy cane frag

9) 1 hammer coral frag

Water parameter all check in nitrates steady at 5ppm 

Ph 8.2

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Water is the clearest its been since starting this adventure

Still dealing with diatoms but it seems to be getting better!

Wanted some trochus snails but no luck at near by fish stores.

20180515_181600.jpg

20180515_181510.jpg

20180515_181455.jpg

• Like 1

Just thought I would post an update post of the tank.   It's been going great diatoms are still around but I think the worst has passed, snails did an amazing job!!!

20180521_144326_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20180521_144306_Richtone(HDR).jpg

• Like 2

I decided to add extra shelf to my intank media basket. Orginal design has 2.  i decided to add an extra removable shelf.   

20180525_140101.jpg

20180525_140115.jpg

20180525_140115.jpg

20180525_140034.jpg

• Like 1

I purchased extra shelf from steve which he now sells.   I got some extra shelf brackets (clear pieces the shelf  rests on)   i purchased some #4 acrylic glue.   Great videos on youtube showing how to glue acrylic 

I think those interested in basket with optional shelf should reach out to steve at intank and show him that your interested.   It makes the basket so much more versatile.  If i had choice 3 shelf design is a huge improvement.

We should make a poll on this🤔

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Great to see your new nano reef moving along swimmingly @nsousa! I love your outlook on diatoms too, it's just a part of the process to a mature tank, it too will pass.

How are the two clownfish getting along together? Have they shown any interest in the hammer coral?

Seems the diatoms have passed.   Now getting some light green spots with purple dots through out the rock which i think is coraline algae (super stoked about that)   the clowns seem to have there days lol!   Id say for the most part they get along just once in a while the bigger one get a little aggressive.   If it continues likely i will remove one and swap for something else.

Cheers!

17 hours ago, MrJoel said:

I would like an extra shale fon mine. I have not tried bonding acrylic before. What did you use?

Here is what i used.   Got it from a local store that sells acrylics.   Where are you located? Ive got so much i can ship you out some.   

20180527_072722.jpg

20180527_072737.jpg

So, im located in toronto and that last 3-4 days have been hot 32 plus humidity about 36-38 thats celcius.   

I have the ac set at a nice temp and didnt want to raise more just because of the tank.    My tank has been pretty consitent at 78-79.    But it was climbing to 80 and didnt want it getting much higher so i purchased this usb double fan for 20 bucks on amazon and with in 3 hours it went for 80 to 77.5 this thing is so cool i can turn on one at time and the adjustability is endless.   its battery powered but will run on cable aswell.  

Looks pretty cool if i say so😎😎

20180531_205611.jpg

20180531_205553.jpg

20180531_211633.jpg

1 hour ago, nsousa said:

So, im located in toronto and that last 3-4 days have been hot 32 plus humidity about 36-38 thats celcius.   

I have the ac set at a nice temp and didnt want to raise more just because of the tank.    My tank has been pretty consitent at 78-79.    But it was climbing to 80 and didnt want it getting much higher so i purchased this usb double fan for 20 bucks on amazon and with in 3 hours it went for 80 to 77.5 this thing is so cool i can turn on one at time and the adjustability is endless.   its battery powered but will run on cable aswell.  

Looks pretty cool if i say so😎😎

Can you share the link for that fan? I've been looking for something like that as I have been dealing with the same temperature issues.

52 minutes ago, falcooo said:

Can you share the link for that fan? I've been looking for something like that as I have been dealing with the same temperature issues.

Here you go!! Ive only used it for a few hours currently letting it charge fully to see how long it last.   Either way it works full power when plugged in.  

Mini Clip Fan, Yacig USB Rechargeable Clip on Fan with Two Flexible Arms and Soft Padded Clamp Personal Cooling Fan for Beach, Pool, Camping,Baby Pushchair and Cribs-Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B073P41JZB?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just thought i would post some update pics. 

Latest parameters are

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 5ppm

And phosphates 0.1

Threw in some chemipure elite to help with phosphates.  

Not that they are high but just to control and nip it.

Also upgraded my wave pump to the Aqamai kps.

Diatoms are completely gone now i just have some green light algae that has replaced the diatoms that is completely normal.   I dialed down the light schedule to help deal with the light algae.  Also lots of nice purple, pink spots all over the rock. Coralline!!!!

Here are some pics.

20180609_165337.jpg

20180609_165358.jpg

20180609_165416.jpg

20180609_165348.jpg

20180609_165350.jpg

20180609_165334.jpg

Looks great!

Can you post a pic of how you have your InTank skimmer adjuster attached? Yours looks like it is different than mine, and working much better 😕

I'm running a Fluval Spec III and am really happy with the Fluval tank. I hope you're liking yours!