SaltCritters.com

A Journey in a jar.

kspain12

Luckily I didn’t glue it:)  I took the extra rock off and realized how nice of a platform I had going there. Thanks for the second opinion! I hear about the magnified look a lot. So hopefully less is more in this scenario. Just the set-up alone has been a really great experience. My wife looked at me like I was crazy when I first brought thr jar home. Now she sees my vision! Well kinda:D

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, kspain12 said:

Luckily I didn’t glue it:)  I took the extra rock off and realized how nice of a platform I had going there. Thanks for the second opinion! I hear about the magnified look a lot. So hopefully less is more in this scenario. Just the set-up alone has been a really great experience. My wife looked at me like I was crazy when I first brought thr jar home. Now she sees my vision! Well kinda:D

Good call! I agree with Dawn, the first scape is really nice. Kind of zen like. The second one looked like it wanted another rock at the very top to make a pyramid.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, teenyreef said:

Good call! I agree with Dawn, the first scape is really nice. Kind of zen like. The second one looked like it wanted another rock at the very top to make a pyramid.

I’m worried there’s not enough rocks which leads to insufficient surface area for biofiltration. Now if you’re not feeding the tank it may be fine but I would tread carefully.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dandelion said:

I’m worried there’s not enough rocks which leads to insufficient surface area for biofiltration. Now if you’re not feeding the tank it may be fine but I would tread carefully.

That's a great point! In my opinion, it doesn't matter as much in a jar because nutrients are exported via frequent 100 percent water changes. 

I agree that a good live rock bacteria factory is critical especially in controlling algae, but I just think it's not as critical in a jar.

9 hours ago, dandelion said:

I plan to only keep coral in this jar. I may add an invert down the line, but that’s it. I also plan on feeding. Heavily. Then changing the water 100% a couple of hours after feeding. 

8 hours ago, teenyreef said:

That's a great point! In my opinion, it doesn't matter as much in a jar because nutrients are exported via frequent 100 percent water changes. 

I agree that a good live rock bacteria factory is critical especially in controlling algae, but I just think it's not as critical in a jar.

I agree! 100% waterchanges are the key it seems! 

• Like 2

And we have a cycling jar! (Lights on for picture only)Today is day 2! Dr. Tims/dry rock cycle. Ammonia 0ppm,

nitrites 0ppm, PH around 8.3, Alk/DKH at  11. Water is a bit cloudy for my liking! I will leave it alone until my cycle is complete. I added more ammonium chloride last night, will test parameters again at 7pm tonight. SG-1.25 Temp-79 F. I found a local reefer that has some incredible frags. With his permission I will post the frags going in this jar! Stay tuned!!!

B05115F0-4D9D-4072-B795-53D27A0D9A64.jpeg

• Like 4
1 minute ago, gena said:

Looks great!  I like the scape!  I see lots of platforms :wub:.

Thank you kindly Gena! I hope that I can fill this thing out :D

1 minute ago, kspain12 said:

Thank you kindly Gena! I hope that I can fill this thing out :D

Oh you will :).  I stopped directly feeding my coral a couple of months ago and they are still growing pretty rapidly.  I can't imagine what the growth would have been if I had continued with the mysis feedings.  I'm not sure that would be an ideal thing in such a small space LOL.

From my experience....after about 3 months is when the jar will hit it's groove (mature) and then it's smooth sailing :).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree, the scape looks good. I'll be interested to see how it goes with dry rock and Dr. Tim's. I had trouble with algae in my jar and I wonder how much it was because of what came in with my old rocks.

• Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, gena said:

Oh you will :).  I stopped directly feeding my coral a couple of months ago and they are still growing pretty rapidly.  I can't imagine what the growth would have been if I had continued with the mysis feedings.  I'm not sure that would be an ideal thing in such a small space LOL.

From my experience....after about 3 months is when the jar will hit it's groove (mature) and then it's smooth sailing :).

I am hoping that this jar finds its groove sooner than later:lol: The small space is definitely going to be a challenge. I have a spot open on my sandbed for either Rics or a nice Scoly. decisions decisions lol.

21 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I agree, the scape looks good. I'll be interested to see how it goes with dry rock and Dr. Tim's. I had trouble with algae in my jar and I wonder how much it was because of what came in with my old rocks.

Thanks! You helped me decide on the scape! After 24 hours I had 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrite, put more ammonium chloride after my tests. I will update the new test results tonight!

• Like 1

Those are going to be great in your jar.  My jar got cloudy when I added seachem stability to it.  I also had used dry dead rock and it cycled fast doing it that way.

Nice jar!  These have been quite popular lately as pico reefs.   Like the sneak peek of corals you'll be adding!

What heater is that?  Is it on a thermostat? 

:welcome: to Nano-Reef!  Looks like you're off to a great start. :) That little heater is great, I've got it in two tanks so far (one for over a year) and I love it.  It's the best pico heater I've found and I've been keeping picos for almost 9 years.  Those are some very nice corals you'll be getting.  As far as rics vs scoly, I think rics are better for small jars like ours as they don't grow as big, and when they multiply you can sell the babies.   Plus I love rics so I am partial lol.

11 hours ago, vlangel said:

Those are going to be great in your jar.  My jar got cloudy when I added seachem stability to it.  I also had used dry dead rock and it cycled fast doing it that way.

Thank you! I am just using Dr. Tims. As of last night my Jar was crystal clear! I am hoping for a week cycle or sooner!

11 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Those will be great frags to start out with!

Thank you! I think so too!

10 hours ago, Lorekeeper said:

Looking good so far! Love the variety of colors!

Thank you! I do too! I am trying to balance them as much as possible!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ajmckay said:

Nice jar!  These have been quite popular lately as pico reefs.   Like the sneak peek of corals you'll be adding!

What heater is that?  Is it on a thermostat? 

Thank you! The heater is a Archaea Nano heater, it has a built in controller. It is very nice! It was recommended by @Lula_Mae in her build thread! I am super pleased with the performance thus far! Jar sits at 79 degrees always!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

:welcome: to Nano-Reef!  Looks like you're off to a great start. :) That little heater is great, I've got it in two tanks so far (one for over a year) and I love it.  It's the best pico heater I've found and I've been keeping picos for almost 9 years.  Those are some very nice corals you'll be getting.  As far as rics vs scoly, I think rics are better for small jars like ours as they don't grow as big, and when they multiply you can sell the babies.   Plus I love rics so I am partial lol.

Hi:lol:. Thank you! I have had tons of help from all of the contest threads! I love the coral selection also! I would like to keep rics in my jar, the only way I could see getting them is buying online. (I am very weary about it):wacko:. I don't have the greatest selection where I live, and no big conventions to snag frags at lol. It sucks:(

• Like 2

Sooo patiently waiting on my cycle. Day #7. This heater is incredible! 79 solid! With 5-7 degree heat fluctuations in my home daily. This little thing puts in work! Testing practically zero in ammonia and nitrites. Just dozed ammonium chloride again to 2ppm, letting it sit 24 hrs. Then if I’m cycled. Water change, then frags. Patience :haha:

• Like 1
21 hours ago, teenyreef said:

How's the cycle going?

Its going I guess lol. The salifert Ammonia test kit is a little hard for me to read. I am on day 10 of cycling technically. I have been dosing 2ppm of ammonium chloride to the jar, waiting 24 hours and then testing. My results for ammonia are always cloudy, sometimes with a little yellow tint, it dosnt look like it ever gets above .5ppm, but I cant be 100% sure because of the cloudy results. My Nitrite tests are about the same, Ranging from 0-0.5. Last night I ran both tests, both with the same result. I didn't like that after 24 hours ammonia was still present, so I left it alone and will test again tonight. I hate cloudy test kits! They make me super nervous.