ReefCleaners.org

A Journey in a jar.

kspain12

I am just about ready to get this little guy started:D Here are some photos of my build thus far! 2 gallon cookie jar, ABI 12w Tuna Blue w/ architect lamp from Amazon. Air pump w/ gang valve, Archaea 25w heater. Waiting on my Dr. Tims products to come in the mail. Starting with live sand/Dry Rock combo. Got 4 pounds of BRS reef saver to hack up later this evening for a scape. (Not using anywhere near 4 pounds lol, just wanted variety). My original plan was to start yesterday 3/31, but shipping says otherwise. Plan to run 100% WC weekly, stock SPS, LPS, Zoas, Rics. Possibly an invert down the line. Feed with Benepets Benereef once weekly before WC. So ready to get this thing cycled so I can go coral shopping :haha:

DE470923-EFD2-448E-9DC3-77E57DDA0A07.jpeg

00ED2C00-81B5-4A5C-8FD8-4B4A49B1AC76.jpeg

8628D102-1636-4052-ACF8-1AABAF703D54.jpeg

B3ADCB61-CBC8-472D-9533-C206DC1E2CC2.jpeg

F4DBAF05-BA03-41B1-9B04-ED3E1A358DD9.jpeg

0A4650F6-48CD-4463-AF54-31E3D406C34C.jpeg

4C41CEC7-D756-42F5-8B7F-AB12829429A8.jpeg

• Like 8

Looks good! I like how clean and neat everything is. This build is very similar to my jar, 2g jar, air pump ABI bulb. What kind of corals are planning to keep? 

The one thing I wish I had done six months later is to have built smaller rocks in the jar so there was room to move them around or even take them out. What looks small outside the jar is huge once it goes in. 

I tried to build mine so they interlocked and could be removed, but once the corals started growing I couldn't do anything without breaking corals. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, k4ndyk1ng said:

Looking good so far, following along.

Thank you! I hope to keep everyone entertained lol. :D

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

You have everything in check already before adding water. Very good preparation, will followB)

Thank you! I have been planning this for a little while now. I definitely want it to be a home run!

24 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Looks good! I like how clean and neat everything is. This build is very similar to my jar, 2g jar, air pump ABI bulb. What kind of corals are planning to keep? 

The one thing I wish I had done six months later is to have built smaller rocks in the jar so there was room to move them around or even take them out. What looks small outside the jar is huge once it goes in. 

I tried to build mine so they interlocked and could be removed, but once the corals started growing I couldn't do anything without breaking corals. 

Thank you! I work in the IT field, so cleanliness and cable/cord management is a must for me;). As far as corals go,  I want SPS, LPS, ZOA, and Rics. And yes! The rocks are becoming my biggest hurdle so far, I am going to try to get a nice scape in later today. I will post it here when I do! :)

• Like 1
Just now, teenyreef said:

Ha ha, thanks! Hopefully you will benefit from my mistakes :)

No problem! Beautiful reef! The main debate for me right now. I have the sand on hand, but.....Bare bottom or not.

:huh:

In a jar I would only do sand if there were going to be critters that have to have it. To hard to clean otherwise. Unless you just like the look, of course. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

In a jar I would only do sand if there were going to be critters that have to have it. To hard to clean otherwise. Unless you just like the look, of course. 

I am partial to the look. But I GUUEESSS I could sacrifice it for the sake of functionality/simplicity lol. That would create another issue. This rock is slippery in the jar! Ice slick! I’ve also found that my jar slopes to either direction towards the walls of the jar. Creating up hump. Not a level area for my rock work. Open to all suggestions! 

• Like 1

So I received some stuff in the mail earlier than expected! A thermometer for the temp inside my home, all of the remaining pieces needed for my mix station, Seachem coral dip, benepets, and Dr.Tims. Also received the sand I am debating on putting in or not, along with extra suction cups for my scape, just Incase I decide to go BB. Also a little peak into how my power station is rigged up inside of the stand! Getting really really close guys! Recommendations for great online coral shopping will be needed soon :D I am still waiting on my Ammonia from Dr. Tims for the cycle. After that we should be all systems go! 

45F3D3AC-F949-4D15-8037-EC10532016C3.jpeg

7EC70133-5F31-4C9D-97D3-104D491A3FD0.jpeg

292A347E-2E48-4041-B519-DECF9E7AB69F.jpeg

AC11049F-3AB5-40EE-8C24-09A14E55A3D2.jpeg

2B6CA957-AD90-4FA2-8BF2-F1BB87F360B5.jpeg

FB4DCE57-2827-457F-B0F8-17E760553FAE.jpeg

03A6368D-2DDF-4F53-A49E-2581068642A4.jpeg

D44FAFAD-6497-4F9C-B9C3-7E6A7535983E.jpeg

A little update! My Dr. Tims ammonia wont be in until Wednesday:angry:...The last thing that I need to get this party started! Kinda stinks, but patience is key. In the meantime, I would love some recommendations for online coral shopping. I have a reef store about 2 hours away from me, and the frag selection isn't always the best! Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

I like AquaSD (weekly Ebay and live sales) and Cultivated Reef, both sponsors here on N-R. But all the N-R sponsors have great reputations.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I like AquaSD (weekly Ebay and live sales) and Cultivated Reef, both sponsors here on N-R. But all the N-R sponsors have great reputations.

Thank you! I appreciate that! Do you think about an inch of sand would prove to be more troublesome than not?

• Like 1

I like the scape, it's pretty! And you can always add more later. 

I think a sand bed would be fine, but probably more like 1/2" or 3/4" is plenty. You need to stir it up regularly so you don't want it too deep. 

• Thanks 1

1/2 inch it is. I’m so tempted to add another piece somewhere to the scape. But my wife really likes it. I may experiment with some magnets and rocks lol. We shall see! :D

• Like 1

To my eye, it's small enough to still take out even after you get corals growing all over it.

When I did mine, I carefully built the rock so it could be taken out. Then as soon as the acros started growing, I couldn't even get my hand in the tank without breaking something. Taking the rocks out is impossible now.

Eventually the corals will get so big that you can't get the rocks out even as small as they are now. But that's what we call a "good problem" :)

• Thanks 1

I love your scape as is.  It has a nice balanced appearance and nice places for coral. Put the most breakable coral away from where your hand will be and I think that could be cleanable and great.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, teenyreef said:

To my eye, it's small enough to still take out even after you get corals growing all over it.

When I did mine, I carefully built the rock so it could be taken out. Then as soon as the acros started growing, I couldn't even get my hand in the tank without breaking something. Taking the rocks out is impossible now.

Eventually the corals will get so big that you can't get the rocks out even as small as they are now. But that's what we call a "good problem" :)

Its build now for easy removal. hopefully I run into this "good problem" :D!

55 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I love your scape as is.  It has a nice balanced appearance and nice places for coral. Put the most breakable coral away from where your hand will be and I think that could be cleanable and great.

Thank you! That little scape took me a couple hours to come up with! I think I may leave it as is for now!

• Like 1

So I think this is my final scape. Threw one more rock up top! What does everyone think? Still patiently waiting for my Dr. Tims ammonia from Amazon. Amazons shipping said it would be in today, hasn’t even shipped yet! :furious: Long story short I called. My item will be here tomorrow. Along with a 50% refund on the item, plus a free month of prime. Not bad, still annoying!

23418B4F-B2E4-482F-8C49-8D3DA711AEEB.jpeg

486237C2-A6BE-43D1-9695-E204460A19BC.jpeg

• Like 2