Top Shelf Aquatics

Cats and Our Tanks

da1001

10 hours ago, Zeal0201 said:

Well.. Came home, took the bio balls out of the back of the tank like you told me too in another thread, move the heater away from the place where pump is.

Then my kitten decided she wanted to take a swim and the front of her body fell in the tank, was able to catch her and only her legs and bottom got a bit wet. 

I should of mentioned my cat likes water and stands in the corner while I shower. 

Kinda worried about the tank now. Got dirty for a bit but its cleaning up now. Not touching this damn thing for like a week lol.

I just want everything to be perfect!

As they age the curiosity normally dies down.

My one cat loved sitting in the shower while you showered,  as a kitten. She has not done this since she was a yr old.

She now pateintly waits on the other side.

Your tank will be fine. You need to relax. If you are stressing now and there's nothing wrong, how will you handle it when you have issues to combat? 

Nothing is perfect. Perfect doesn't exist and no tank will ever be perfect.

So trying to get the IM25 wet, got the first 5g mostly in... and this happened. She thinks I am setting up a 'kitty-pool' :lol: Talk about salt creep everywhere... :closedeyes:

11 minutes ago, VictoryBell said:

My kitty “Buttons” staring at the tank.

0EFC4D64-3E23-423A-8975-DF61171F8F67.jpeg

I chuckled at the litter box right next to probably the most expensive thing in your house. Life with cats ?

VictoryBell
6 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Love the vampire hunter D picture :)

Thanks! I’m gonna have to move it somewhere else since the tank now blocks it. 

6 hours ago, NanoTrav said:

I chuckled at the litter box right next to probably the most expensive thing in your house. Life with cats ?

Lol I know! I’m going to find a new place for it soon because I want to put a small table there so the kitties can sit and watch the tank, I just need to make some room in this small apartment.  (One way I sold having a fish tank to the fiancé was that it would be an entertainment source for the cats. :)

20 hours ago, Tamberav said:

So trying to get the IM25 wet, got the first 5g mostly in... and this happened. She thinks I am setting up a 'kitty-pool' :lol: Talk about salt creep everywhere... :closedeyes:

Lmao!

What's her name?

10 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

That's beautiful and suits her.?

Thanks, she is a really sweet fun kitty. When I went to the breeders house I sat down on the couch and she crawled into my lap... I knew she was coming home with me!

1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

Thanks, she is a really sweet fun kitty. When I went to the breeders house I sat down on the couch and she crawled into my lap... I knew she was coming home with me!

She is stunning.

I love cats like that. It's normally a good sign.

My Siamese is a big suck. He's with me all the time.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

She is stunning.

I love cats like that. It's normally a good sign.

My Siamese is a big suck. He's with me all the time.

I love Siamese! I recently found out Balinese are supposed to be hypoallergenic and have a lifespan of 18-22 years. I was thinking about getting one as I would like a 3rd cat close to Akira's age. I originally got Bengals because I am allergic to cats and they don't bother my allergies but I absolutely love their high energy and curiosity. What I don't like is the breed does have a fair amount of health concerns. I believe the Siamese type share some of the same traits of intelligence and energy so they may get along well with Bengals. 

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I love Siamese! I recently found out Balinese are supposed to be hypoallergenic and have a lifespan of 18-22 years. I was thinking about getting one as I would like a 3rd cat close to Akira's age. I originally got Bengals because I am allergic to cats and they don't bother my allergies but I absolutely love their high energy and curiosity. What I don't like is the breed does have a fair amount of health concerns. I believe the Siamese type share some of the same traits of intelligence and energy so they may get along well with Bengals. 

Siamese are very intelligent, love attention, some very talkative, act like dogs in neediness and love being with their owners.

Very responsive cats. 

Very curious and can be playful but definitely a lap cat too. 

The males tend to be warmer than the females. 

Mine doesn't shed a lot- thank goodness. I'm not sure if they are hypoallergenic or not.

Mine has asthma and that can be tricky to treat. So he has attacks from time to time.

I find breed cats character very different to domestic. My Siamese is the opposite in personality to the other 2 cats I have.

• Like 1
Just now, Clown79 said:

Siamese are very intelligent, love attention, some very talkative, act like dogs in neediness and love being with their owners.

Very responsive cats. 

Very curious and can be playful but definitely a lap cat too. 

The males tend to be warmer than the females. 

Mine doesn't shed a lot- thank goodness. I'm not sure if they are hypoallergenic or not.

Mine has asthma and that can be tricky to treat. So he has attacks from time to time.

I find breed cats character very different to domestic. My Siamese is the opposite in personality to the other 2 cats I have.

Sorry about the asthma, my male bengal actually has asthma too :( Bengals are pretty much the same as you described except generally not lap cats and have a few quirks like enjoying water.

3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Sorry about the asthma, my male bengal actually has asthma too :( 

I feel so bad for them. It's horrible to watch.

He was being treated but only responded to full dose prednisone and it's dangerous keeping them on that long term.

I'm sorry she has asthma. Seems a common issue with certain breeds

Is she on meds?

6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I feel so bad for them. It's horrible to watch.

He was being treated but only responded to full dose prednisone and it's dangerous keeping them on that long term.

I'm sorry she has asthma. Seems a common issue with certain breeds

Is she on meds?

Its my male Onyx who has it, not Akira. We tried the steroid shot, lasts about a month. As you said, its not good long term though. He basically sort of lost his energy for life and didn't want to play as much and was not very active, he just seemed depressed or tired. That is no way to live so we stopped treatment. Quality of life over quantity. He has been with me 8 years now untreated except the few months we tried the steroid.

I just try to vacuum often, we don't use any sprays in the house and I don't use a lot of fabric softener on items like bedding. It helps but he still has attacks fairly often but they don't last very long. He doesn't seem to get attacks from activity, just dust and strong smells. 

5 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Cat thread :wacko:

:angry::P

• 4 weeks later...

My one cat must be odd because about once a day he has to taste the tank water either by drinking or licking it off of his PAW. 

• Haha 3
14 hours ago, Bribear said:

My one cat must be odd because about once a day he has to taste the tank water either by drinking or licking it off of his PAW. 

Same with mine she likes the taste of saltwater.. She actually likes water in general and doesnt mind being wet.  

I gave in and bought a canopy. He keeps cracking the legs of my light fixture.

Within 10 minutes, he's on it. jerk. lol

FullSizeRender.jpeg

• Haha 4
On 4/10/2018 at 6:20 PM, Tamberav said:

Its my male Onyx who has it, not Akira. We tried the steroid shot, lasts about a month. As you said, its not good long term though. He basically sort of lost his energy for life and didn't want to play as much and was not very active, he just seemed depressed or tired. That is no way to live so we stopped treatment. Quality of life over quantity. He has been with me 8 years now untreated except the few months we tried the steroid.

I just try to vacuum often, we don't use any sprays in the house and I don't use a lot of fabric softener on items like bedding. It helps but he still has attacks fairly often but they don't last very long. He doesn't seem to get attacks from activity, just dust and strong smells. 

:angry::P

I'm so sorry. It's so sad they have to live either way- medicated eith side effects or the asthma.

I did the same thing. The shot, no sprays, no candles, etc etc.

Activity doesn't bother my cat either.

On 5/3/2018 at 3:02 PM, Draco said:

I gave in and bought a canopy. He keeps cracking the legs of my light fixture.

Within 10 minutes, he's on it. jerk. lol

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Good call on the canopy

6 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I file a motion to keep all cats outdoors, where they belong.

A lot of breed cats can't live outdoors for various reasons. 

Outdoor cats also have a shorter lifespan.

HarryPotter
8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

A lot of breed cats can't live outdoors for various reasons. 

Outdoor cats also have a shorter lifespan.

I didn’t say I minded if they have a shorter lifespan ?