Coral Vue Hydros

Cats and Our Tanks

da1001

righttirefire

I have a glass top on my 20 long. The kitten loves to claw at the mangrove. So far we've been lucky all 3# of fireball has not gone through the glass top. She sits next to the tank, in front of the tank. And we shoo her off the tank. But she seems to like watching it

20180304_110644.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
8 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Yup! 

I with water bottles worked but that is just a fun game for them. 

I love Bengals! I want one?

I hear they love water which makes sense, wild kitty. Wild cats don't hate water.

• Like 1

My cats know they aren't allowed on my tank. But one of them thinks he's being clever when I am not home.

They have zero interest in the contents of the tank (Though my black and white one likes to watch my Betta in the bedroom).

He just likes the heat of the lights.

I now have double sided sticky tape on my fixture (and few times I find the tape balled up with black cat fur on it.. tsktsk). He's cracked the legs of the fixture and last thing I want is to see it in the tank.

monettank.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Wow 2
20 hours ago, Draco said:

My cats know they aren't allowed on my tank. But one of them thinks he's being clever when I am not home.

They have zero interest in the contents of the tank (Though my black and white one likes to watch my Betta in the bedroom).

He just likes the heat of the lights.

I now have double sided sticky tape on my fixture (and few times I find the tape balled up with black cat fur on it.. tsktsk). He's cracked the legs of the fixture and last thing I want is to see it in the tank.

monettank.jpg

It's not funny but it's funny how as soon as you walk out the door- they are breaking the rules!

14 hours ago, Clown79 said:

It's not funny but it's funny how as soon as you walk out the door- they are breaking the rules!

"If the humans don't see me, then I am not doing anything wrong". silly cats. lol

• Haha 1
On 3/17/2018 at 7:53 PM, vash028 said:

Here's one of my Sur Jackson who passed this year. This is from a few years ago.

IMG_0847.JPG

Very cute pic! Sorry for your loss.

• Like 2

My experience. Couple of background facts first. I am not a cat person, I love dogs and my 2 old ladies don’t awknowledge my tanks at all. My girlfriend moved in 2 years ago and brought her two cats with her. One is good, the other is a little awnry SOB that unfortunately is very attached to me!!

So, the good one comes and annoys me when I’m gazing at my Biocube and not focusing on her. Annoying, but no big deal.

I have a display fuge on my 40 gallon setup that runs the lights at night so I like to look at that in the evening when my cube and 40 are asleep. The awnry cat HAS to be all up in my business and present anytime I open the doors for a peek! Sometimes I sneak downstairs to avoid her but she apparently can hear the stand doors open because she’ll run downstairs and hop in my lap for the viewing. Annoying for sure, but it’s our quality time together I guess. 

So long story short, my 2 cats don’t care about my tanks unless me or my girl are focusing on them. Then they are ALL about the tanks! Pictures included for evidence!

644F46FF-BAA3-4D5E-BA61-93946A1563AC.jpeg

EF853DA0-288C-42D6-A241-8EEA4BD1DFC5.jpeg

• Like 4
Christopher Marks
On 3/22/2018 at 7:46 PM, Dos Ocho said:

So long story short, my 2 cats don’t care about my tanks unless me or my girl are focusing on them. Then they are ALL about the tanks! Pictures included for evidence!

Anything to be the center of attention, can't let those tanks get in the way :lol: 

25 minutes ago, TheCrockers200 said:

Our cat loves the tank, never touches it just sits next to it and watches it ?

Watches it, or or studies it? :D 

• Like 1
TheCrockers200
On 3/24/2018 at 12:52 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Anything to be the center of attention, can't let those tanks get in the way :lol: 

Watches it, or or studies it? :D 

Hahahhaha from the look on his face I would say studying is definitely the better term ?

SaltyBuddha

I waa pretty worried about it. I built a stand for my IM10 so there was no space for the cat to sit by the tank and no adjorning spaces where they could jump up to it. He drinks out of my freshman though 

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a Nuvo 40g and I have a 6month old kitten and im absolutely terrified of her getting near my tank. I've tried everything and I cant seem to get her away from it. She jumps onto the table and then onto of the mesh. I'm worried that she's going to contaminate the tank. IM new to the hobby so I don't know if this is something I should be worried about...

Edit: Im brand new to this hobby and I started my tank cycle on 4/4/2018. Should I be worried of her ruining the tank cycle?

11 minutes ago, Zeal0201 said:

I just got a Nuvo 40g and I have a 6month old kitten and im absolutely terrified of her getting near my tank. I've tried everything and I cant seem to get her away from it. She jumps onto the table and then onto of the mesh. I'm worried that she's going to contaminate the tank. IM new to the hobby so I don't know if this is something I should be worried about...

Edit: Im brand new to this hobby and I started my tank cycle on 4/4/2018. Should I be worried of her ruining the tank cycle?

She won't contaminate it in any dangerous way. Mine constantly sticks her paws in it and the SPS aren't effected. All the cat and dog fur lands in the tank anyways.

• Like 1
On 22/03/2018 at 10:46 PM, Dos Ocho said:

My experience. Couple of background facts first. I am not a cat person, I love dogs and my 2 old ladies don’t awknowledge my tanks at all. My girlfriend moved in 2 years ago and brought her two cats with her. One is good, the other is a little awnry SOB that unfortunately is very attached to me!!

So, the good one comes and annoys me when I’m gazing at my Biocube and not focusing on her. Annoying, but no big deal.

I have a display fuge on my 40 gallon setup that runs the lights at night so I like to look at that in the evening when my cube and 40 are asleep. The awnry cat HAS to be all up in my business and present anytime I open the doors for a peek! Sometimes I sneak downstairs to avoid her but she apparently can hear the stand doors open because she’ll run downstairs and hop in my lap for the viewing. Annoying for sure, but it’s our quality time together I guess. 

644F46FF-BAA3-4D5E-BA61-93946A1563AC.jpeg

EF853DA0-288C-42D6-A241-8EEA4BD1DFC5.jpeg

Lol

Cats remember things. They are on to you...good luck getting away.

My cats are the same though. Could care a less about the tanks but as soon as I'm near them, they need to be there too.

I think they don't like the attention taken away from them?

30 minutes ago, Zeal0201 said:

If she gets in it, she'll never do it again unless she's one of those odd cats that likes getting wet.

A good way to teach kittens to stay away from anything, get a plant water bottle, fill it. As soon as it does a no no, squirt it. 

They normally learn fast.

I just pick up any bottle of water now and shake it and they scatter. Mine are between 6-14yrs old- they have not forgotten. Lol.

9 minutes ago, Zeal0201 said:

Even tho its cycling right now? Feel like right now the tank is super delicate

The stuff in the salt and crap corals release would be more harmful to a cat or dog then they are to it...excluding dropping lights in the tank or chewing wires.

21 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

If she gets in it, she'll never do it again unless she's one of those odd cats that likes getting wet.

A good way to teach kittens to stay away from anything, get a plant water bottle, fill it. As soon as it does a no no, squirt it. 

They normally learn fast.

I just pick up any bottle of water now and shake it and they scatter. Mine are between 6-14yrs old- they have not forgotten. Lol.

She knows what the word NO means, and she sometimes obeys it. Maybe when I get home from work tonight ill let her explore the top of the tank a bit. Shes been itching too

8 minutes ago, Zeal0201 said:

She knows what the word NO means, and she sometimes obeys it. Maybe when I get home from work tonight ill let her explore the top of the tank a bit. Shes been itching too

Mine no the word no too but when you turn your back, it's easily forgotten. Lol

You need to deter her now at a young age.

I let my cats see my tank too, then squirted thrm with water. They will associate the tank with getting wet- not cool to most cats.

I wouldn't say tanks are delicate while cycling. People dump ammonia in them :o

I personally don't agree with squirting cats with water. There are people on both sides of that though, my parents used to do it but gave up because the cats did whatever they wanted anyways lol. IN FACT... I used to do it too for many years. I have a cam to watch the cats and aquariums when I am gone though and they ain't stupid. She's not home, PARTY!

I'll take up the other side *flexes arms*

Jackson Galaxy uses the air canisters that have electric eyes and go off (with out needing you) so it works when your not home too and the cat doesn't associate the can with you since your not holding it. Might be a way to keep the cat from laying on the light when someone isn't home in the previous post. 

I do think you can have different out-comes depending on each animal. My male Bengal would never come near me again if I used squirt bottle or anything scary on him. He is very sensitive and timid and it took a long time (YEARS) to gain his trust (he was a rescue). My female likes water so she would just play. Most cats probably just run away and not have a melt down. 

Anyways, no bad vibes Clown. I just think people should see both sides and decide whats best for their animal they know well.

8 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I wouldn't say tanks are delicate while cycling. People dump ammonia in them :o

I personally don't agree with squirting cats with water. There are people on both sides of that though, my parents used to do it but gave up because the cats did whatever they wanted anyways lol. IN FACT... I used to do it too for many years. I have a cam to watch the cats and aquariums when I am gone though and they ain't stupid. She's not home, PARTY!

I'll take up the other side *flexes arms*

Jackson Galaxy uses the air canisters that have electric eyes and go off (with out needing you) so it works when your not home too and the cat doesn't associate the can with you since your not holding it. Might be a way to keep the cat from laying on the light when someone isn't home in the previous post. 

I do think you can have different out-comes depending on each animal. My male Bengal would never come near me again if I used squirt bottle or anything scary on him. He is very sensitive and timid and it took a long time (YEARS) to gain his trust (he was a rescue). My female likes water so she would just play. Most cats probably just run away and not have a melt down. 

Anyways, no bad vibes Clown. I just think people should see both sides and decide whats best for their animal they know well.

No offense taken at all. You have to decide what's good for you and your pet and what works as long as it's not abusive. 

I can not tolerate hearing ppl hit or kick animals. I'm a huge animal lover. If I could I'd have a house full of them! 

You can't take me to a pet store or a shelter?

It's just a common method of training, same with clapping hands. 

I don't think it's cruel to squirt once, certainly don't soak the cat or scare them. 

I don't need to do it anymore. My one cat was a very disobedient kitten. He's got a mind of his own, quite the cattitude. We had no choice with him but to try the squirt bottle because he was chewing wires like crazy and I didn't want him frying himself.

It was that bad.

He'd pull wire from under the baseboards!

My cats now respond to their name, and I snap my fingers and point and they stop.

My Siamese is the biggest suck, really more like a dog. He is very responsive to no.

He's my sucky baby. 

He likes sleeping next to my 25g. 

Cats are such funny animals. Each one is so different and what works for one won't work for another.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Mine no the word no too but when you turn your back, it's easily forgotten. Lol

You need to deter her now at a young age.

I let my cats see my tank too, then squirted thrm with water. They will associate the tank with getting wet- not cool to most cats.

Well.. Came home, took the bio balls out of the back of the tank like you told me too in another thread, move the heater away from the place where pump is.

Then my kitten decided she wanted to take a swim and the front of her body fell in the tank, was able to catch her and only her legs and bottom got a bit wet. 

I should of mentioned my cat likes water and stands in the corner while I shower. 

Kinda worried about the tank now. Got dirty for a bit but its cleaning up now. Not touching this damn thing for like a week lol.

I just want everything to be perfect!

2 hours ago, Zeal0201 said:

Well.. Came home, took the bio balls out of the back of the tank like you told me too in another thread, move the heater away from the place where pump is.

Then my kitten decided she wanted to take a swim and the front of her body fell in the tank, was able to catch her and only her legs and bottom got a bit wet. 

I should of mentioned my cat likes water and stands in the corner while I shower. 

Kinda worried about the tank now. Got dirty for a bit but its cleaning up now. Not touching this damn thing for like a week lol.

I just want everything to be perfect!

Funny kitty! Seriously it will be okay.. The cycle is fine! Fish are going to crap in your tank all day.. Lol

Got any photos of her to share? 

She is young and curious.. She may calm down a bit as she ages. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Funny kitty! Seriously it will be okay.. The cycle is fine! Fish are going to crap in your tank all day.. Lol

Got any photos of her to share? 

She is young and curious.. She may calm down a bit as she ages. 

Wow up to this at 7am. Appears that she likes the heat generated from the tank. I'm worried she's gonna fall through the mesh.

I might have to find a way to get clear glass top...

And she's drinking the water wtfff

20180407_070925.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1