Cultivated Reef

IM desktop reactor on amazon prime for $35

Big E reef

While we're on this topic, anyone found a good way to run carbon in these?

I have tried a few different ways, but it seems no matter what I try, after a few days it starts to tumble and break apart.

Any suggestions?

2 minutes ago, Big E reef said:

While we're on this topic, anyone found a good way to run carbon in these?

I have tried a few different ways, but it seems no matter what I try, after a few days it starts to tumble and break apart.

Any suggestions?

What happens exactly? Does the sponge move after a few days?

Sponges move, I've tried running as many as 3 sponges on top, tired turning the pump all the way down.

Seems to be a common problem with these, read a few different posts on it, but no answer yet.

Do you think I would have a problem running it completely full of carbon on my 14g?

4 minutes ago, Big E reef said:

Sponges move, I've tried running as many as 3 sponges on top, tired turning the pump all the way down.

Seems to be a common problem with these, read a few different posts on it, but no answer yet.

Do you think I would have a problem running it completely full of carbon on my 14g?

I would not fill it with carbon. Can you not just push it to the top/bottom so its squished up against where the flow would push it naturally?

Otherwise maybe a different type of sponge? My eheim reactor comes with beefy sponges that I could just cut down in size and make snug. 

https://www.amazon.com/Coarse-Filter-Classic-External-Pieces/dp/B003C5UDZC/ref=pd_sim_199_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003C5UDZC&pd_rd_r=H7PE7W7E56EV2YXH1ZQW&pd_rd_w=I56yB&pd_rd_wg=RncWr&psc=1&refRID=H7PE7W7E56EV2YXH1ZQW

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, what makes these nice for changing media, makes it impossible to push up from the bottom. I will go grab some sponges this weekend and cut to fit, see what happens

Thanks for the advice

3 minutes ago, Big E reef said:

Unfortunately, what makes these nice for changing media, makes it impossible to push up from the bottom. I will go grab some sponges this weekend and cut to fit, see what happens

Thanks for the advice

No problem.. I ordered one of these but honestly have no use for it right now but thought it might be nice to have on hand. I will check the sponges out too when it gets here... they look wimpy in the pictures... my BRS one had wimpy ones too but you could push it up. 

I would cut them slightly bigger then the hole size and try and see if they will stay wedged in. The Eheim pads my canister came with were a lot more stiff than the BRS sponges. 

Goodluck! Let me know if you find something that works.

7 hours ago, Sancho said:

Stop hating on this awesome reactor I just bought a case lower than cost <_< Once i figure out how to ship to Mericas hat ima be up $400 :P :lol: 

Strong words from Canada's pants... :P

• Haha 1

Got mine today even after an alert from amazon that it was backordered and some nonsense about the price when i checked out <_< WTF is IM doing I tracked this  $35 to out of stock, later that night $89 only 4 left order soon.  The next day it varied from $69-$99 limited quantities to back ordered :blink: than to $45 only 8 left order soon back to back ordered. Yesterday it was $79 and right now back to $69 but backordered due in stock on 2/25. I only tracked what was sold by IM. Its funny that the midsize reactor is $4 cheaper right now. Shady ass business practice on IM part. I feel bad for someone like Stevie that is an authorized dealer, has 100% positive reviews on amazon as opposed to IM's 86%. He has put out cash for inventory and the manufacture just puts it in his ass unlubricated selling off inventory lower than cost to boost their ratings. LAME..........tempted to give IM 1 star just for this price nonsense.  

Anyway rant over..........what the hell do I run in this thing? :lol: Just carbon? Just GFO? A mixture of the two?  Or a special top secret mixture of carbon, GFO, phosguard and di resin?

• Thanks 1

The 86 percent makes sense because they sent me a reactor but no pump or bracket in the box! Now i am going to have to bug them for the parts or exchange or ultimately return it. 

• Haha 1

Figured I give a reveiw  of this thing.

Been almost a week running a mix of GFO and carbon. I know it’s not ideal cost wise but this thing is small enough that changing the media every few weeks won’t break the bank. Defiantly will be a bit cheaper than my chemipure regiment. I like the results, the sand no longer has fuzzy green stuff, back wall is seeing a reduction of slimy bubbly stuff. It’s definantly worth $35-$70. I sure as hell wouldn’t pay $100 + for it. It’s nicely made but the supplied pump Seems questionable.....I guess time will tell. My one real gripe is that the chingas that holds it doesn’t fit my glass <_< 

F598D534-98A1-4E45-9C1E-58347CE30973.jpeg

Gonna have to fix this. 

C356FCEF-96CC-444F-A726-F759898C221F.jpeg

5 hours ago, Sancho said:

Figured I give a reveiw  of this thing.

Been almost a week running a mix of GFO and carbon. I know it’s not ideal cost wise but this thing is small enough that changing the media every few weeks won’t break the bank. Defiantly will be a bit cheaper than my chemipure regiment. I like the results, the sand no longer has fuzzy green stuff, back wall is seeing a reduction of slimy bubbly stuff. It’s definantly worth $35-$70. I sure as hell wouldn’t pay $100 + for it. It’s nicely made but the supplied pump Seems questionable.....I guess time will tell. My one real gripe is that the chingas that holds it doesn’t fit my glass <_< 

F598D534-98A1-4E45-9C1E-58347CE30973.jpeg

Gonna have to fix this. 

C356FCEF-96CC-444F-A726-F759898C221F.jpeg

Sancho, shoot me your glass thickness and the diameter of the reactor. I can have a printed bracket sent out this weekend :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1