Top Shelf Aquatics

Fluval Evo 13.5 Owners Thread

Smitten4Witten

4 hours ago, EvilFish said:

What is the best light for this tank?

Thanks

Well it comes with strip LEDs stock, but lots of folks upgrade to AI Prime HDs, Nano Box Duo or Minis, or Kessile A160. I use two AI Prime HDs over mine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hmm so here I am working on my computer and I glance over at the tank and one of my clowns is sitting in the back chamber.  

I assume somehow it jumped through the gap near chamber 1 (near the top of the photo), into the middle chamber and swam through to the 3rd chamber since I had the main stock cover on.  The back cover was on but not flush as it sits on top of the heater's cable.

I've had the tank for 8-9 months now and its the second time I've found a fish hanging out in the back chambers.  anyone else run into this?

do other folks block off this gap?

IMG_1578.jpg

On 2/13/2018 at 2:45 PM, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

What is your opinion on the light?  I have been looking to upgrade the stock light but didn't want to drop a lot of money.  My fear is with this you can't really do a ramp up and down.

i don't have advice on this light, but i upgraded my stock light to the AI Prime HD and love everything about it. I also looked into the nanobox tide M when i was looking for lights.

2 hours ago, Element03 said:

How is the evap on these tanks? I just got one and was waiting to set it up till I saw some more opinions on them

i ran mine without a lid and only had to fill my 5g ATO jug once every 2 weeks or so. it was pretty minimal.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
ThisPlaceIsAPrison

Still rocking and rolling.  A mushroom that has been fairly dormant over the months has decided to compete for dominance against my large hammer coral and is winning.  I'm at the 9 month mark. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
On 8/10/2018 at 12:39 PM, old_turkey said:

hmm so here I am working on my computer and I glance over at the tank and one of my clowns is sitting in the back chamber.  

I assume somehow it jumped through the gap near chamber 1 (near the top of the photo), into the middle chamber and swam through to the 3rd chamber since I had the main stock cover on.  The back cover was on but not flush as it sits on top of the heater's cable.

I've had the tank for 8-9 months now and its the second time I've found a fish hanging out in the back chambers.  anyone else run into this?

do other folks block off this gap?

IMG_1578.jpg

huh... little clown did it again overnight.  This time I looked where the filter floss and there he was flopping around in chamber 1 on his side.  Seems ok now that I've plunked him back into the tank but this is getting silly.

I also have a dead cerith snail at the bottom of chamber 2 (found it while I was trying to fish out the firefish that led the charge).  I'm not helping my cause since the back area is slightly askew since I put the heater in chamber 2.  I have a screen top on the way so hopefully I can reduce the mishaps soon!  

I need to figure out if I'm going to extend the screen over the back or just cut a small acrylic cover for the back.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Nanogoof said:

Yes I am with floss, blue chem, and purigen. Then chamber 2 Marine pure cylinders.

IMG_20180914_214716.jpg

IMG_20180914_213825.jpg

Where did you get the lid?

For those who are running pump only for flow. Have you found any dead spots?

40 minutes ago, Newbie-reefer said:

😞 everyone's tank looks better than mine lol.... gonna have to have a move round of the rocks I think lol 

20180907_155746.jpg

I like your rock work. And your fish will love it too.

3 hours ago, sm32589g said:

Where did you get the lid?

For those who are running pump only for flow. Have you found any dead spots?

I made the frame with home Depot window screen kit. The screen itself and clips I got at Marine depot

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using a mp10 on my tank as well as the stock pump and I seem to be getting some dead spots. Is anyone else running a mp10 and could suggest placement ideas?

1538848658253793195469517049876.jpg