inTank Media Baskets

NEW PJ reefs Magnetic Container and Food **NOW AVAILABLE**

pj86

Tom@HaslettMI

Quick question on the cysts... are they somehow sterilized prior to being magnetized?  If not, is there any concern with hydriods or other nasties hitchhiking on the eggs?

Thanks,

Tom

IME, none whatsoever... the cysts are sold as a dried powder and has been so for weeks if not months.  IME, anything else that survives that environment has earned the right to set up shop in my tank.  ;-)

• Like 1
Tom@HaslettMI
48 minutes ago, BulkRate said:

IME, none whatsoever... the cysts are sold as a dried powder and has been so for weeks if not months.  IME, anything else that survives that environment has earned the right to set up shop in my tank.  ;-)

If you ever have hydroids get into your reef you will not feel that way anymore!

A main concern with dwarf seahorses is hydroids, which sting and kill the seahorses. My understanding is that hydroids can be introduced to a tank via brine shrimp shells. It is one of the main reasons to decapsulate the eggs. Is that theory no longer valid?

Tom

• Like 1
On 2/4/2018 at 11:21 AM, Duane Clark said:

I was asked to confirm my mailing address a week or two ago so should not be much longer!!!!

Yes, only a few more days. I'm packaging them right now. Almost done :)

DSC09042_400x.JPG?v=1517553155 DSC09043_800x.JPG?v=1517553166

DSC09050_800x.JPG?v=1517553187

On 2/4/2018 at 11:34 AM, Tom@HaslettMI said:

If you ever have hydroids get into your reef you will not feel that way anymore!

A main concern with dwarf seahorses is hydroids, which sting and kill the seahorses. My understanding is that hydroids can be introduced to a tank via brine shrimp shells. It is one of the main reasons to decapsulate the eggs. Is that theory no longer valid?

Tom

This is still a concern and partially true. The hydroid life cycle does require saltwater to survive, so the cyst is not necessarily on the eggshell but rather inside. Decapsulating it does lower the possibility of hydroids. 

The way we are going to address this is to provide live sand that has been treated with the appropriate dosage of Pancur. So when people set up their tanks and use the live sand they will be doing a preventive dosage. Also, it has been shown that Pancur does attach to substrates so it has long-acting effects. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, pj86 said:

Yes, only a few more days. I'm packaging them right now. Almost done :)

DSC09042_400x.JPG?v=1517553155 DSC09043_800x.JPG?v=1517553166

DSC09050_800x.JPG?v=1517553187

This is still a concern and partially true. The hydroid life cycle does require saltwater to survive, so the cyst is not necessarily on the eggshell but rather inside. Decapsulating it does lower the possibility of hydroids. 

The way we are going to address this is to provide live sand that has been treated with the appropriate dosage of Pancur. So when people set up their tanks and use the live sand they will be doing a preventive dosage. Also, it has been shown that Pancur does attach to substrates so it has long-acting effects. 

I have to ask now...what about those of us feeding just our reef nanos?  Do I need to worry about these hydroids with other fish and corals?  I am not getting your tank so I assume we don't get this pancur?  what is pancur?  ugh...did not know about all this. 

EDIT - looked into this...Panacur...I don't think I want that in my tank.  would kill other worms, etc.  so...now not even sure I should use this.  

3 minutes ago, Duane Clark said:

I have to ask now...what about those of us feeding just our reef nanos?  Do I need to worry about these hydroids with other fish and corals?  I am not getting your tank so I assume we don't get this pancur?  what is pancur?  ugh...did not know about all this. 

Hydroids are naturally present in the live rock. If you have seen little jellyfish-looking creatures, those are hydroids.

They typically are a problem with dwarf seahorses because dwarf seahorses require low flow and large amounts of artemia. The hydroids flourish in these conditions if they are not handled accordingly. For a nano-reef that has filtration and other organisms competing for the same resources typically outcompete the hydroids and keep their population in check.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Recommended Discussions