Pod Your Reef

Count me in! My little contest pico

Lisa166

Hi all! 

This is my way of saying: I AM GOING TO JOIN THIS CONTEST! 

Yes. I'm going crazy over that decision. 

So, i haven't yet been able to measure my bowls size. It's an old bowl I used to keep plants in during the last three years, it's been empty since just before summer. But it won't be for much longer! Maybe it's going to fail horribly. But yeah. 

I was trying to figure out what to do with the bowl. 

Candles? 

IMG_20171010_204109

As requested, some favorite condiments:

IMG_20171010_204316

And, first inhabitant? 

IMG_20171010_204720

I will update this post later with my stocking plans, the plans for flow and lightning and other needed stuff. I just needed to make this post so i would stop wondering if i should or shouldnt join! 

--------------------------------------------------------

My tank is exactly 1.6G, which means it's exactly 1/10 of my DT! 

That makes me crazy happy! 

As of tomorrow: 

25W hydro heater

Compact flowpump from Eheim (more info tomorrow)

Some pieces of dry Rock I had lying around, combined with a few mini pieces of live rock rubble from my main display. 

Bactostart and ghostfeeding to start the cycle (anyone have more info on how to do this in a pico? Should that take as long as an original startup?) 

Light: indirect light from DT (will be updated with a regular ledbulb next week, and later hopefully with a Par38 from Wish)

Stocking plan: 

-frag from my mushrooms in DT

-green button frag from DT

-xenia frag from DT

-candy cane from DT

-GSP carpet on my pump (fragged from DT) 

Any tips on fragging? I ordered tweezers and razorblades, but have no experience at all! 

In the future I really want some zoas in there as well

Inverts plan: 

1 pompom (if I can find it!)

1 turbo from DT

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Things are not going NEARLY as fast here as with the other contestants (but when my exams are done at the end of next week...) 

But, my heater just got in. 

IMG_20171020_175727

The flowpump will go on my IM nuvo16g, and the one currently on that (the 300 one which is the compact 1000-22) will go to the pico! 

I hope to purchase a lightbulb from ikea this weekend. They have PAR30 bulbs, which i hope will work. 

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

Things are not going NEARLY as fast here as with the other contestants (but when my exams are done at the end of next week...) 

IMG_20171020_175727

The flowpump will go on my IM nuvo16g, and the one currently on that (the 300 one which is the compact 1000-22) will go to the pico! 

I hope to purchase a lightbulb from ikea this weekend. They have PAR30 bulbs, which i hope will work. 

I feel you on how fast people are moving! I haven't even received my vase yet (first one they sent was wrong and the second was broken). Hoping I can get a condiment picture tonight and actually be in the contest!

Maybe get it wet tonight but I don't have any extra live rock so I will have to cycle it :wacko: hoping it goes by fast if I seed it with a rock or two from my IM10

Good luck with exams. Try not to think too much about reefing lol

• Like 1
On 20-10-2017 at 6:40 PM, gena said:

That's a cute bowl :wub:

Thank you so much!

On 20-10-2017 at 11:37 PM, SaltyBuddha said:

I feel you on how fast people are moving! I haven't even received my vase yet (first one they sent was wrong and the second was broken). Hoping I can get a condiment picture tonight and actually be in the contest!

Maybe get it wet tonight but I don't have any extra live rock so I will have to cycle it :wacko: hoping it goes by fast if I seed it with a rock or two from my IM10

Good luck with exams. Try not to think too much about reefing lol

Yeah. It's a pain in the ... 

I couldn't find a light either so still not able to fully start. 

However, I have SW, rocks (dead), and a few pieces of macro in there now. Tomorrow i will try to see if the pump i have is okay. Even the smallest flow will still get it above 20x turnover rate. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Have you had any luck finding a light @Lisa166, or are you waiting for one to be shipped? Hopefully you can get ahold of one soon!

Thanks for reacting! I am waiting for a check to come in and then I will have one shipped to me. I found some online, they will take quite a while though. (I expect them to be here end of november), so until that time I will try to use a normal light bulb. Everything I have around or everything Led suitable for tanks is not e27 or e14 fittings. So a normal LEDbulb will have to do for the first month or so. 

• Like 1

So I suggest that you test the dry rock by putting it in your tank, or a bucket with saltwater and a powerhead.  After a day or two, check it for ammonia.  If there is some, just keep topping off the evaporation with freshwater until the ammonia becomes undetectable.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, seabass said:

So I suggest that you test the dry rock by putting it in your tank, or a bucket with saltwater and a powerhead.  After a day or two, check it for ammonia.  If there is some, just keep topping off the evaporation with freshwater until the ammonia becomes undetectable.

IMG_20171022_192531

Powerhead will get in there tonight! :)

Topview:

IMG_20171022_192502

And a little reminder to myself, because I am so nervous for this whole contest!

2017-10-22_07-14-39

• Like 4

Powerhead and heater are on! 

NH3=0.25 

I definitely need some more rock. So I guess I will break up one of the rocks in the DT to establish that. 

Left side, this was the smallest heater i could find and it looks huge in the tank! 

IMG_20171023_201202

Right side: please note that this is not the final scape! 

IMG_20171023_201016

• Like 1

I kind of like how much rock you have in there.  But I guess it depends on your vision of it when it's done.  Corals and/or macro algae will take up some space too.  And you know how little it takes to fill up the space.

For a heater, I'm using one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Blue-Professional-ADB12881-Bettastik/dp/B005DGHG8U  plus a temperature controller and probe.  It's probably significantly smaller.  Here's one that has a thermostat: https://aquaforestaquarium.com/collections/heaters/products/copy-of-archaea-mini-aquarium-heater-25w-ultra-slim

• Like 1
On 10/20/2017 at 12:03 PM, Lisa166 said:

IMG_20171020_175727

Be careful with the Theo, the ones found in the U.S. can practically cook a pico.  You may want to invest in a temp controller, or look for a betta bowl heater (or both).  Hopefully it will be fine for you.  Things are coming together!  So exciting!

• Like 1
On 10/20/2017 at 12:03 PM, Lisa166 said:

IMG_20171020_175727

If you need help getting a bulb shipped to you, just message me. 

If you just put it in a post, I likely won't see it. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

If you need help getting a bulb shipped to you, just message me. 

If you just put it in a post, I likely won't see it. 

Thanks! I can get one shipped to me without a problem. So I won't need it. If anything ever comes up I will let you know in PM. 

--

NH3: 1

NO2: 2

NO3: 2

Sounds like some more waiting :/

• Like 3