Pod Your Reef

The blasto obsession

Minmay

Hello fellow Naners! Its that time again. Starting a new tank with my new obsession of Blastos. There's just something about Blastos that's sexy to me. Anywho, I already had another Fluval Evo 13.5g tank that has been sitting boxed up for about 5mo. Recently, I unboxed it and did a 48hr water leak test. I had some dry rock left over from my last order and used that. I did order Caribsea arag-live special grade substrate and Hydor Flo rotating deflector. I decided to get the Hydor Flo because I just wanted to try it and since Blastos dont need a strong flow I felt that maybe this will work. If need be I can always buy a separate pump. So, while waiting on these items to arrive, on with the aquascaping. I tried a few scapes and finally came up with this one that I really like. Looks much better in person than in pic. The little island is where I plan to put GSP Mat (problem indicator coral) but other than that the rest will be blastos. I wanted to get a blue spotted jawfish for this tank but doing more research and found out that the Jawfish requires a much colder water temp to thrive. I dont want to buy a chiller for a 13.5g tank. Soooo, with that in mind my dream of a blue spot jawfish will have to wait.  

IMG_2017-08-31_14-57-06.JPG

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I'm definitely following!  I can't wait to see what blastos you get!  I like the rocks :)

Thank you! I got it from BRS reef saver rock. The scape to me kinda reminds me of Star Trek (the next generation) lol...its hard to tell in pic but in person it has that shape lol. 

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Minmay said:

I liked Wesley amd his mama ....more so his mama ???

It makes me sad you liked Wesley. 

Picard was pretty well a diplomat and he couldn't stand Wesley. 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, 1891Bro said:

It makes me sad you liked Wesley. 

Picard was pretty well a diplomat and he couldn't stand Wesley. 

I mostly like Data, Worf and Geordi. 

1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

i love blastos too!

I love how they puff up. Puffy meat ???. Wait, that sounds dirty lol

• Haha 3
2 minutes ago, gena said:

Hey there!  Blastos will thank you for not putting a jawfish in there :).  Did the sand I sent you not work out?

Hi Gena!! Yes Im actually gonna mix the two. Plus I need to replenish my other tank since from vaccuming the sand Ive had some lost. I havent put the sand in the tank yet cuz I was waiting for the other sand to arrive. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Minmay said:

Hi Gena!! Yes Im actually gonna mix the two. Plus I need to replenish my other tank since from vaccuming the sand Ive had some lost. I havent put the sand in the tank yet cuz I was waiting for the other sand to arrive. 

Hahaha...yeah, I forgot you said you were mixing.  Hey, if you have any leftover sand when all is said and done.  I may want to buy some from you....possibly.  For a pico project :ninja:.

Oh wait...scratch that.  I thought I might have some more sand in my reef supply cabinet.  Sure enough, I just looked and found more LOL.  It's oolite grade though, but I think it will work :D.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, gena said:

Hahaha...yeah, I forgot you said you were mixing.  Hey, if you have any leftover sand when all is said and done.  I may want to buy some from you....possibly.  For a pico project :ninja:.

Oh wait...scratch that.  I thought I might have some more sand in my reef supply cabinet.  Sure enough, I just looked and found more LOL.  It's oolite grade though, but I think it will work :D.

Haha, i'll let u know if I have some left over. How funny you found more sand. Sand and maybe rock is probably the items that people have abundance of but it works because us reefers are always thinking of new projects.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Minmay said:

Haha, i'll let u know if I have some left over. How funny you found more sand. Sand and maybe rock is probably the items that people have abundance of but it works because us reefers are always thinking of new projects.

Yeah, for sure.  I think I have some leftover real reef rock somewhere around here too LOL.  I'll have to look.  If not, I'll pick up a piece at RAP :).

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gena said:

Yeah, for sure.  I think I have some leftover real reef rock somewhere around here too LOL.  I'll have to look.  If not, I'll pick up a piece at RAP :).

I cant wait! Im sooo excited for RAP. I hope I can get some really nice blastos. One of my LFS has some blastos that Im waiting for her to frag. Imma put in my first tank while I wait for the blasto tank to cycle

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Minmay said:

I cant wait! Im sooo excited for RAP. I hope I can get some really nice blastos. One of my LFS has some blastos that Im waiting for her to frag. Imma put in my first tank while I wait for the blasto tank to cycle

Hopefully they'll have a nice selection for you!!!!  They are one of my favorites too . This time I'm on the hunt for mushrooms and palys though.  But normally I'd be searching out blastos :).   What color does your LFS have?

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, gena said:

Hopefully they'll have a nice selection for you!!!!  They are one of my favorites too . This time I'm on the hunt for mushrooms and palys though.  But normally I'd be searching out blastos :).   What color does your LFS have?

1 of my LFS has like this orange reddish colony and the other is like a rainbow but that one she wont frag fpr several months cuz when she got it, it wasnt doing that well so shes gonna baby it for awhile. 

28 minutes ago, cju84 said:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We love blastos!

20170829_141543 (2).jpg

Oooo thats sooo pretty!!! I want one ???

• Like 1
8 hours ago, cju84 said:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We love blastos!

20170829_141543 (2).jpg

Those are gorgeous!  I agree with Gena, those look like the blueberry merlettis that Legendary Corals offers.  I want some too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Minmay said:

1 of my LFS has like this orange reddish colony and the other is like a rainbow but that one she wont frag fpr several months cuz when she got it, it wasnt doing that well so shes gonna baby it for awhile. 

Oooo thats sooo pretty!!! I want one ???

I'm lucky too that my LFS gets in some awesome blastos.  If you are ever up here in Burbank, check out UltraGem Fish and Coral.  It's right by the new IKEA too, so you could go to two really fun stores LOL.  They say they get rainbows in from time to time, but I haven't seen one yet.  I really want to see one in person. 

3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Those are gorgeous!  I agree with Gena, those look like the blueberry merlettis that Legendary Corals offers.  I want some too!

My next tank will  have them.  Or actually, my next, next tank will have them :D.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, gena said:

My next tank will  have them.  Or actually, my next, next tank will have them :D.

What is stopping you now??  And what is your "next" tank going to be??

1 hour ago, gena said:

I'm lucky too that my LFS gets in some awesome blastos.  If you are ever up here in Burbank, check out UltraGem Fish and Coral.  It's right by the new IKEA too, so you could go to two really fun stores LOL.  They say they get rainbows in from time to time, but I haven't seen one yet.  I really want to see one in person. 

Imma have to check that place out. My wife likes Ikea is there anything else to do there thats wife friendly lol.

7 minutes ago, Minmay said:

Imma have to check that place out. My wife likes Ikea is there anything else to do there thats wife friendly lol.

Considering most of the gorgeous tanks on this site are owned by women, I think your wife should check out the LFS with you :)

• Like 5
19 minutes ago, Minmay said:

Let's see.....shopping is always wife friendly.  Burbank doesn't really have anything extraordinary when it comes to shopping.  It's pretty much status quo here.  Ikea should keep her busy though :D.  And you can park at IKEA and walk over to the fish store.  It's that close!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, cju84 said:

Considering most of the gorgeous tanks on this site are owned by women, I think your wife should check out the LFS with you :)

She goes with me at least once. After that she doesnt like to go. She says it makes her sleepy cuz its so calming with the water and the blue lights ?

• Like 3