inTank Media Baskets

Show off your Freshwater!

JoeMan02

Thunder Goose
2 minutes ago, .Boris said:

Shrimp cocktail 
5984de127dd40_Akv007.thumb.JPG.9fc2bc299aabf33a2606171a8e984e98.JPG

Love the shrimp tank. I don't have a lot of luck with shrimp. Still trying to figure out why.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Thunder Goose said:

Love the shrimp tank. I don't have a lot of luck with shrimp. Still trying to figure out why.

Thanks!
I can't seem to kill them. Had the same soil for 2+ years. No idea what pH is. Never measure anything. Just do weekly water changes with tap water. Got tired of the ugly partitions so I have Crystal red, Crystal black, Taiwan Bee and Orange eye blue tigers all mixed together. Still keep breeding.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, tunagirll said:

40L bookshelf tank - now stocked with Cory hastatus, Pygmy cories, otos and dwarf emerald rasbora :)

IMG_0561.JPG

that is AWESOME!!! ...but I see no fish? 

also, what do you have growing on the substrate? what light are you using? 

and...can you tell me the make/model or at least the dimensions? 

7 hours ago, Draco said:

My 9 gal cube. It has a pair of pea puffers that's about 2 years old, and 2 otos. In a 2 gal tank I am raising pond snails for the puffers

IMG_0511.JPG

also awesome!

next time you feed the puffers, can you shoot a video of them gobbling down the snails? 

btw, what snail are you raising for feeders? this is something I want to do...can you tell me what you've done  for breeding in the 2 gal? 

1 hour ago, .Boris said:

These are my two FW.
Sorry about the crappy pics but that is the best I can do.

Mixed Malawi

5984ddc7cc4f0_Akv014.thumb.JPG.2e013c63433d0a52ccda31347f57805f.JPG

Shrimp cocktail 

very cool. I think having a shrimp tank would be neat. how come such a big...err, deep tank? do they go up or mostly live in the substrate? 

2 hours ago, .Boris said:

These are my two FW.
Sorry about the crappy pics but that is the best I can do.

Mixed Malawi

5984ddc7cc4f0_Akv014.thumb.JPG.2e013c63433d0a52ccda31347f57805f.JPG

Shrimp cocktail 

Yes! z rock hap!!

4 hours ago, TJ_Burton said:

My 265 as of right now. Still looks pretty empty hahaha.

Fotor_150186949636673.thumb.jpg.48c280c0b85627306c3bd9504e6d0314.jpg

Fotor_150186933584633.thumb.jpg.a67e44aca5e3eb2a0913520be14b024f.jpg

Wow! awesome 3D background and wood!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Friendly said:

also awesome!

next time you feed the puffers, can you shoot a video of them gobbling down the snails? 

btw, what snail are you raising for feeders? this is something I want to do...can you tell me what you've done  for breeding in the 2 gal? 

Thank you :) It's hard to catch the puffers killing the snails, but they go after frozen bloodworms. It's amazing how many worms they inhale in such a tiny body. I can take a video of that next time?

And I am using standard pest pond snails. They breed like crazy, grow big and the puffers love them. Sometimes I ask Petco or Petsmart for some free pest snails and they happily give them. I have some plants and a betta in the 2 gallon and let the snails do their thing- really no work at all, they do all the work for me.

• Like 1
SomethingIsFishy

Lots of great tanks here!

Here's mine... Brichardi cichlids, they're still small, but they've already surprised me with several batches of babies!

IMG_3076.JPG

• Like 3

thanks Draco. I really want a a 10 gal long (if such a thing exists) for 3 dwarf puffers. 

also, I get a kick out of this video...with their eyes darting around, solving the puzzle of how to eat the snail, add's a lot to the scene:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

@Friendly they do like to inspect and watch what they eat! I love my puffers, so full of personality. They learn to recognize their humans too. I come to the tank, they all come swimming up.. someone they've never seen before come up, they go hiding! they are like puppy dogs

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, Draco said:

@Friendly they do like to inspect and watch what they eat! I love my puffers, so full of personality. They learn to recognize their humans too. I come to the tank, they all come swimming up.. someone they've never seen before come up, they go hiding! they are like puppy dogs

have you found any good resources online on setting up a tank for them? only thing I've bumped into is a forum that's dead over in the UK.

I'd love to find something with details so I can look into something like a biotope. 

@Friendly I haven't looked in a long time on puffer info sites.. the few things I've learned are two puffers are maximum for 10 gals. They are tiny, but they make a huge mess. Dead snails adds to the ammonia, so you really don't want a lot of puffers. They eat mainly snails and bloodworms. I got lucky that mine liked frozen bloodworms- I hear some only eat them live which would be a pain. I actually got the puffers 2 years ago to clean out my horrid pond snail infestation. I honestly didn't think they'd live long after the snails are gone, but 2 years later they are kicking strong!

Pea Puffers are also highly aggressive. They've chased after bettas, tetras, rasboras.. Killed every single fish I've put in there minus my Otos. they've killed my shrimps (I had cherries that lived with them for a few months before the puffers decided they were tasty to eat). The only fish they'd tolerate are Otos per my research and so far they've left the Otos alone. I'd bet they'd do better with other fish in a larger, heavily planted tank.

Standard planted tank set up works for them, I didn't do anything different than any other normal planted tank. 

I don't want to derail this topic any further, but feel free to PM me with any questions. I am not an expert, but I can try to help :)

• Like 2

@Draco in the reading I've done, it's recommended that you have 1 then 3 or more and that a 10 gal would be sufficient, but, in aquariums, bigger is always better...for the fish at least. 

I want a long tank so I could setup plants and decorations in such a way that would allow them to claim a spot for themselves while allowing for them to explore and satisfy their curiosity without generating conflict between them. 

and yea, I've read the only fish you can keep with puffer's is Otto's.

I'd probably look at something like the Oceanbox 12g long, but get a bigger AIO to go along a back corner, or placed in the back centre, so I could have excellent filtration for their bioload. :ninja:

13 hours ago, Friendly said:

that is AWESOME!!! ...but I see no fish? 

also, what do you have growing on the substrate? what light are you using? 

and...can you tell me the make/model or at least the dimensions? 

No fish, this was prior to fish going in!

Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' carpet on the substrate

The tank is 5 foot long, about 25cm high and 20cm wide. 10mm thick glass to prevent warping over the length. It is a Fireaqua tank. :)

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Friendly said:

very cool. I think having a shrimp tank would be neat. how come such a big...err, deep tank? do they go up or mostly live in the substrate? 

They climb and graze on the plants and decorations and also swim around some, especially when there is a female in heat, but mostly they are on the substrate. You can have them in a low tray or a high vase. The shrimp are happy either way.

On 2017-08-04 at 1:35 PM, Alexraptor said:

My Aquaponics filtered Piranha Tank. :)

PirreSetupJune2017-2.thumb.jpg.577f5b9819db69e22857074ddef0829e.jpg

PirreSetupJune2017-1.thumb.jpg.0f3e7255868ffcdf9e3902ebf8f800b5.jpg

Edit: A more flattering close-up of my P when I'm not messing around with the tank lol.

Pirr17JuneBig.thumb.jpg.7e5e38088338d1385e24ce46c7e803a5.jpg

That is a nice fish!
Did you start with a group or just the one?

1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

Oooh I like it!

Thanks! I did too at first, now I find it a tad bit too monotonous- my new design (plants will be here next week) should be more dynamic and have more texture in terms of color and form. I think a red plant, I chose Rotala Indica and/or Telanthera Rosefolia, will accent the red/orange hues in the rock nicely. 

If if anyone is curious, the carpeting plant in this tank is the "mystery aquarium seeds" you can buy on the wish app for $1. Worked well for me, until I let them get too tall and then they shedded their lower leaves making a huge mess of the tank. Gotta rip it out now, but hindsight 20/20 it would probably have worked out had I pruned it.

• Like 1

8 gallon high tech aio planted tank.

Kessil lighting 

Co2 injected

Aquaclear 20

Hydor heater

1 Chinese algea eater

Pair of guppies

Guppy fry

Ramshorn snails

20170805_205653.jpg

20170805_210307.jpg