Cultivated Reef

Clown's Nuvo20

Clown79

Thank you to everyone!

16 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Wow - sounds like you handled a lot of stress very gracefully - and at the same time kept all your livestock far from any stress - great work, looks fantastic!

Lol. Ya, I may have gotten a few grey hairs from the few hiccups but I made it through. 

1 hour ago, Daniel91 said:

Nice! How do you like the new Pro line with upgraded pump and top?

I actually purchased the mighty jet before and was using it in my 10g. It's a great pump.

I love the new top, wish I could buy one for my lagoon which now comes with the same top. It's very sleek, doesn't move and no ugly clips.

• Like 2
classlesseagle3

Tank looks great, and sounds like a successful move. Curious how you like the RFG. I'v ebeen kicking around the idea for them on my IM 20 but haven't made an order to BRS yet to do so.

GL with the new build!

On 9/6/2019 at 2:00 PM, classlesseagle3 said:

Tank looks great, and sounds like a successful move. Curious how you like the RFG. I'v ebeen kicking around the idea for them on my IM 20 but haven't made an order to BRS yet to do so.

GL with the new build!

I love the rfg's, I run them on both tanks

• 2 weeks later...
Christopher Marks
On 9/4/2019 at 6:36 PM, Clown79 said:

So the upgrade happened, it was a long day. It went fairly smoothly but we did have a few hiccups that cost us time.

I tried doing things in stages, getting things ready a few days before really helped cut down the time and work done on the day of the transfer.

2 days before I washed anything new like RFG nozzles, media baskets, and cleaned all buckets and containers.

Day before I made salt water, washed the sand, and gathered everything I would need into one area.

The day of, I took everything out and my kitchen turned into a fish room. I tried organizing everything for easy access. Saltwater was heated and aerated, ready to go.

I siphoned water into a bucket and into 2 large containers.

1 bucket I placed my LR with the bta's on it. Couldn't catch the blenny so he was pulled out with the rock. He hides in a deep hole in there so it was impossible to catch him. 

1 container was my lobo, clown, and hermits.

the last container was RFA's.

Each container had air hoses to keep oxygen levels good, the bucket had a heater added.

It's a good thing I have collected extra equipment, it comes in handy for transfers, builds, and moves.

I thought removing the RFA's was going to be a PITA but it was fairly easy and quick.

By this point we were making great time until we placed the 20g in on the stand. The top of the stand we had made by a friend, wasn't even. There was a small leveling issue. So we had to run out and get some foam board. That killed a lot of time since the transfer was on hold.

Finally foam board is cut and in place, tank is now level, we continued on and started the aquascape.

We were using liverock from the 10g, liverock I had in a 5.5g, and caribsea liferock for aquascaping this system. We tried pre planning an aquascape by drawing out a few ideas and we pre cut the dry rock to have it ready.

We used small pieces of eggcrate under the rockwork since we were working with larger pieces and wanted the most stability.

Since we were doing aquascape with liverock that had anemones on it and a fish in it, we had to work swiftly. I sprayed the rock, the nems, and the blenny home with saltwater I had in a spray bottle. This kept things from drying and stress.

Luckily, the rock work went together nicely and needed only a bit of epoxy.  Added the new sand which I also added about a cup or so of old sand from the 10g. to seed the new sand.

We decided to go with one large island built with large and small rocks, to create depth we angled the rocks with the largest in the back, creating a bridge to a mid size rock in the front.

We added a rock of gsp on one side with additional liverock to form a small island. I really like the one rock, it has a huge cave in it, which the blenny can use.

We then proceeded to fill the tank so that the blenny wouldn't be at risk. He came swimming out within a half hour exploring his new home. I was so happy to see he was fine.

Once the tank was fairly clear, about an hour later, I tested Salinity, Alk, Everything was spot on.

RFA's were added to their own rock and my clown and everything else was added to the tank.

Everyone was pretty happy. Corals are doing great, RBTA's very happy. My 1 bta has decided to go on the move but I expected that. For some reason he likes moving around.

My RFA's have been off since around May and I can't figure out why. They eat, are alive but simply won't open up like they used to, they stay scrunched up.

I thought at one point maybe too much light because a lot of them were moving to darker areas in the 10g, so they are now in lower light and starting to open but still not the way they were. My prettiest on is hiding under a rock ledge in the dark.

There is a lot of shadowing right now in the tank because we are slowly acclimating the light to higher levels but I have other lights I can always add if need be.

So everything went well besides the one hiccup, it took longer than it would have but it's done and we really like the 20g.

now I need to plan what else we can add coral wise to the tank and not sure what corals to go with.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=a72cef6f73776f2b

20190904_203055.jpg

20190904_203021.jpg

20190901_163425.jpg

20190904_202731.jpg

20190904_202807.jpg

20190904_202751.jpg

It turned out beautiful @Clown79, great work! How's everyone settling into the new tank?

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

It turned out beautiful @Clown79, great work! How's everyone settling into the new tank?

Thank you.

Everything settled really well, no ammonia spike, no fish loss, the only corals I lost was due to me placing my acans in too direct of light and they fried. 

• Like 4

So we have had a few additions to this tank.

I made a good size pod condo for it and I want to add a chaeto fuge.

I added a new torch and 2 from my other tank that weren't happy. The 1 is recovering well, the other, not so much.

I have a frogspawn I took from my lagoon that the clowns were ticking off, it's coming back too.

I also added an elegance I got for a really good price. It's much happier in my tank than the lfs, it's already grown. 

I lost 1 rfa, not sure why. 1 is hiding under a rock- the prettiest one🤨

Today my sunburst bta looks to be splitting.

20190924_180638.jpg

20190924_183105.jpg

20190924_183434.jpg

20190924_183423.jpg

20190924_183411.jpg

20190924_184116.jpg

20190924_184051.jpg

20190924_184145.jpg

20190916_033837.jpg

20190916_033851.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
15 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I added a new torch and 2 from my other tank that weren't happy. The 1 is recovering well, the other, not so much.

I have a frogspawn I took from my lagoon that the clowns were ticking off, it's coming back too.

I also added an elegance I got for a really good price. It's much happier in my tank than the lfs, it's already grown. 

20190924_180638.jpg

20190924_183105.jpg

20190924_183434.jpg

20190924_183423.jpg

20190924_183411.jpg

20190924_184116.jpg

20190924_184051.jpg

20190924_184145.jpg

20190916_033837.jpg

20190916_033851.jpg

That anenome looks ridiculous!!.......in a good way of course! 😄

23 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

What RFG's are you using? I have one spin stream, but I have to clean it constantly cause it gets a little gunky and stops working.

I use the VCA rfg's.

I have a splitter on 1 return with 2 rfg's and a single on the other return.

I love them. No moving parts, quiet, works so much better- the flow is constantly random.

I can get the sizes and post after.

My spin stream and hydor flow generator are at a bottom of a drawer. 

14 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

That anenome looks ridiculous!!.......in a good way of course! 😄

Thank you, its actually 2 rbta's and a sunburst which went back to normal last night.

I thought it was splitting, now I'm not sure what it was doing. 🤔

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I use the VCA rfg's.

I can get the sizes and post after.

My spin stream and hydor flow generator are at a bottom of a drawer. 

That would be great!!

I'm pretty sure we're tank twins... I also have the 25 gallon lagoon and the Nuvo 20 upgraded from the 10, which I kept just in case!! 🤭

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

That would be great!!

I'm pretty sure we're tank twins... I also have the 25 gallon lagoon and the Nuvo 20 upgraded from the 10, which I kept just in case!! 🤭

Definitely are, I have both too. 😁 and I kept my 10g "just in case" 

My hubby suggested keeping it, in case I decide to set up another one. Lmao. He's knows me so well.

Love these tanks. 

• Like 2

I forgot you had both a 20 and a 25. I’ve been considering an upgrade (from an evo) and those are the two tanks I’m trying to decide between. Anything special I should keep in mind about either tank? I can’t see them in person before ordering because no one in my province sells them. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

I forgot you had both a 20 and a 25. I’ve been considering an upgrade (from an evo) and those are the two tanks I’m trying to decide between. Anything special I should keep in mind about either tank? I can’t see them in person before ordering because no one in my province sells them. 

Where are you located again?

When I got the lagoon, I had not seen it either, no one here had it. I got mine in Quebec. 

The 20 I saw because a mississauga store sells them now.

3 stores in Canada sell IM...super limited for such a large country. Lol.

Both tanks are great, very similar look but the lagoon is wider. Both run the same, same media baskets, and both fit the mighty jet.

I love them both, you'd be happy with either one just depends if you want a wider tank or more rectangular. I guess more options for aquascape with the lagoon but only if you are looking for a particular scape.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Where are you located again?

When I got the lagoon, I had not seen it either, no one here had it. I got mine in Quebec. 

The 20 I saw because a mississauga store sells them now.

3 stores in Canada sell IM...super limited for such a large country. Lol.

Both tanks are great, very similar look but the lagoon is wider. Both run the same, same media baskets, and both fit the mighty jet.

I love them both, you'd be happy with either one just depends if you want a wider tank or more rectangular. I guess more options for aquascape with the lagoon but only if you are looking for a particular scape.

I’m in PEI. I keep debating because I like the rectangular look, but at the same time the extra aquascape space is tempting. I did get a bit frustrated with the lack of front to back space with my current tank when I first set it up, but made it work. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

I’m in PEI. I keep debating because I like the rectangular look, but at the same time the extra aquascape space is tempting. I did get a bit frustrated with the lack of front to back space with my current tank when I first set it up, but made it work. 

I have both the 20 and 25 as well. Have you looked into stands? That might help you decide - I had a hard time finding a stand for the lagoon that wasn't the standard particle board. On the other hand, the 20 gallon fits very nicely on an Ikea Kallax shelf which can be bought in the US for only $40. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I have both the 20 and 25 as well. Have you looked into stands? That might help you decide - I had a hard time finding a stand for the lagoon that wasn't the standard particle board. On the other hand, the 20 gallon fits very nicely on an Ikea Kallax shelf which can be bought in the US for only $40. 

The whole reason my spouse has potentially agreed to an upgrade is because he wants me to have a stand designed for the tank, so we’d be buying the (admittedly overpriced) APS stand. With the current tank we have right now (my son and I haha) we tried to repurpose furniture and the stand almost collapsed a week ago. He’s now paranoid and wants something that’s made for this. I’m not going to fight him if it means an upgrade lol. 

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

When you look at the 25 and 20, they look the same, my tanks look like twins, it's from the side and top you see the difference.

Reefsupplies.ca is a great place, wonderful customer service and fast shipping.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

The whole reason my spouse has potentially agreed to an upgrade is because he wants me to have a stand designed for the tank, so we’d be buying the (admittedly overpriced) APS stand. With the current tank we have right now (my son and I haha) we tried to repurpose furniture and the stand almost collapsed a week ago. He’s now paranoid and wants something that’s made for this. I’m not going to fight him if it means an upgrade lol. 

The kallax ikea stand is pretty solid, a lot of ppl use it for aquariums.

I've seen very large aquariums on the largest kallax unit. 

I was going to go that route for my 20g but I have a cat that likes chewing on wires and the kallax is open cubes(replaced too many charging cables to count) so my friend built a stand.

The IM stands are good too.

Some furniture just can't hold up to the weight while others can.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

When you look at the 25 and 20, they look the same, my tanks look like twins, it's from the side and top you see the difference.

Reefsupplies.ca is a great place, wonderful customer service and fast shipping.

That’s one of the stores I was considering, glad to know the CS is good. 

3 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

The kallax ikea stand is pretty solid, a lot of ppl use it for aquariums.

I've seen very large aquariums on the largest kallax unit. 

I was going to go that route for my 20g but I have a cat that likes chewing on wires and the kallax is open cubes(replaced too many charging cables to count) so my friend built a stand.

The IM stands are good too.

Yeah I’m sure we could find or make something, but he’s totally shaken by all of it and too nervous. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I've had the 20 gallon on the Kallax for the past 4 months and the 10 gallon on it for 3 years prior. I've had the shelf now for about 10 years and it seems just as strong as it was on day 1.

28 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

So we’d be buying the (admittedly overpriced) APS stand.

Then really it's the price for space. The tanks/stands are going to be a bit pricier the bigger you go. However, the back chambers are the same size so any upgrades to pumps, baskets, skimmers, even heaters is going to be the same no matter which tank you get. 

• Like 2

Tanks been going well.

My torch and frogspawn are coming along well in this tank.

The only issue is the RFA's, they no longer lay fully open and I don't know why.

I thought it was too much light, so they are in lower light - changed nothing

Thought it was the high phos - so phos has been lowered a lot - no change

I really don't get the RFA's, especially since they can move where they want to be. So I am lost on this. I've searched everywhere and asked but can't find a reason for them not opening up, 2 of them are half the size of when I originally added them.

The BTA's are super happy and I swear have grown in a few weeks.

The elegance I saved has definitely grown, it has 4 mouths now instead of 3. I am concerned it's not getting enough light but not 100% sure.

I finally got another fish for this tank. I have been searching for this fish for a while and finally a store got them in. The most expensive fish I have purchased but not an easy fish to come by.

It's in QT for right now, can't wait to add it...Oct 27th.

It's a Starcki Damsel. It's so beautiful. 

20190927_211518.jpg

20190927_211615.jpg

20190929_170125.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 6:42 PM, Clown79 said:

20190924_180638.jpg

20190924_183105.jpg

20190924_183434.jpg

20190924_183423.jpg

20190924_183411.jpg

20190924_184116.jpg

20190924_184051.jpg

20190924_184145.jpg

20190916_033837.jpg

20190916_033851.jpg

Hey what is a pod condo? I would love more pods in my tank!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Hannahhhh said:

Hey what is a pod condo? I would love more pods in my tank!

It's an area for pods to reproduce safely while not being eaten by livestock.

You can make one with liverock rubble and place it in sump, back chambers, or refugium.

You can also buy one at most online fish stores

https://www.marinedepot.com/pod-hotel-copepod-haven-reef-easy-feeder

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1