Pod Your Reef

Clown's Nuvo20

Clown79

tank is doing well.

Except I simply can't get my RFA's to open up. They all stay scrunched and I have no idea why.  I lost 2 Rfa's and one is MIA. The rest are fine they just are smaller and not open completely.

Everything else is happy except a small lobo that I've had issues with in every tank I put it in and the torch I moved from my lagoon. The torch is open but continues to lost colour which started in my lagoon.

I just ordered an Ai Prime HD for this tank. The Micmol is a great light but the spread is limited, 2 would be needed on this tank so the light is more suited to a cube tank individually.

I added a bubble coral the other day. We've wanted one for a while and I couldn't pass on the one in the LFS since it was an awesome price.

The Starcki Damsel is doing great. My clown which is normally very docile and has been friendly to all additions was a bit aggressive, mostly doing a clowns normal bossy charging behaviour but no actual fighting. Simple territory issues that have gotton better as the days go bye. The Starcki is super lightning fast and so beautiful!

20191027_135752.jpg

20191027_135811.jpg

20191027_135742.jpg

20191027_175616.jpg

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

wow! Didn't know you upgraded! The tank looks great!

Grats on finding the starkii! I know you had been after one for awhile. I just love mine!!! Very expensive but at least they are not fragile expensive fish. 

Pretty sunburst! Are they cheaper there? I saw them sell for $1200 per nem on reef2reef before a year or so ago. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 4:25 AM, Tamberav said:

wow! Didn't know you upgraded! The tank looks great!

Grats on finding the starkii! I know you had been after one for awhile. I just love mine!!! Very expensive but at least they are not fragile expensive fish. 

Pretty sunburst! Are they cheaper there? I saw them sell for $1200 per nem on reef2reef before a year or so ago. 

Thank you!

I love the starkii. Thank you so much for suggesting it. Beautiful fish, very expensive but so very rare that I couldn't say no. 

Odd thing, my clown which was a sweetheart, absolutely no aggression, likes chasing the starkii. At times he's been relentless and at other times could care less.

The starkii is super fast and seems to not give a crap what the clown does, he just stays clear of him. 

So weird how a fishes personality can change so quickly.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Thank you!

I love the starkii. Thank you so much for suggesting it. Beautiful fish, very expensive but so very rare that I couldn't say no. 

Odd thing, my clown which was a sweetheart, absolutely no aggression, likes chasing the starkii. At times he's been relentless and at other times could care less.

The starkii is super fast and seems to not give a crap what the clown does, he just stays clear of him. 

So weird how a fishes personality can change so quickly.

Perhaps because they are both damsels. My clowns were peaceful for 3 years then turned into little monsters lol The only fish she doesn't give a chase are the pygmy filefish... probably because they look and move so different. 

5 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Perhaps because they are both damsels. My clowns were peaceful for 3 years then turned into little monsters lol The only fish she doesn't give a chase are the pygmy filefish... probably because they look and move so different. 

That's what I figured too. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2017 at 9:29 PM, Clown79 said:

It's actually been 2 yrs. I never did a journal and thought I should.

Absolutly love your tank!  Hope mine looks very similar in a few years! dDd you start with mostly small frags?

1 hour ago, karen nation said:

Absolutly love your tank!  Hope mine looks very similar in a few years! dDd you start with mostly small frags?

Thank you.

Ya, they were all frags.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Update time!

This tank has been doing great. I have had no issues besides my nems getting too big. 

The RBTA had numerous babies which I sold and then I sold the mother and kept 1 of the babies. The rainbow which was just gorgeous, was growing too large , it was huge!

we really wanted to not risk our other corals so we removed and sold it.

I just removed the last RBTA baby as we decided we wanted other corals and keeping the bta meant being limited.

Everything in this tank has just blossomed. The bubble coral has not only grown but it has another head.

The lobo which we was damaged upon purchase( we rescued it for a dirt cheap price) has not only repaired but grown. 

My hammers have multiple heads now, xenia needs regular pruning. Gsp has grown onto the back and side panel which we are keeping it that way. It looks so pretty and adds so much pop into the tank.

We most recently added a green monti with orange polyps, a new green torch with yellow tips, and frags of a red setosa and red digitata which were from the lagoon.

The only things that never did well in this tank were RFA's. I just didn't luck out with them in this tank. They all moved to where they couldn't get light and didn't make it( i haven't seen them), 2 were removed and placed in my pico when it was running but they died too. I never figured out why.

Never understood why the rfa's would move to where there was no light and not move somewhere that had some light.

I have 1 lone rfa survivor and he popped out of nowhere.

All in all the tank is great.

The clown doesn't like the stark damsel but there isn't any serious aggression, just a bit of chasing when the damsel goes into the clowns area.

the stark damsel is an amazing fish. Very docile, constant swimmer, eats anything. Absolutely love the damsel.

I most recently started using RedSea energy ab plus. I"m using less the recommended dosage and not dosing everyday because I don't want to cause any issues, so I am playing it safe.

I addded a Tunze nanostream into the tank to add a bit of flow. This powerhead is really cool. Love the shape, it can be used vertically or horizontally. It's very powerful so we dropped the return pump a bit since it no longer needed to run at full.

Wow what a great update. It must be very rewarding to have everything grow so much.

Not related to growth. It is time to order some salt. I have been using Dr. Foster and Smith and am thinking of changing just because it would be nice to be able to order from more than one place. Which salt mix are you using these days?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 10:31 PM, debbeach13 said:

Wow what a great update. It must be very rewarding to have everything grow so much.

Not related to growth. It is time to order some salt. I have been using Dr. Foster and Smith and am thinking of changing just because it would be nice to be able to order from more than one place. Which salt mix are you using these days?

I use red sea blue bucket. It's my favourite salt. Tried many but I like this one the best.

• Like 1

So a lot happened this weekend.

I had to remove my clowns from my lagoon due to aggression issues with the other fish and they were constantly covering corals in sand and causing a snowglobe in the tank.

So they are in a bucket tank right now until I can set up a smaller tank just for them.

I removed the Starkii damsel from the 20g and it's now in the lagoon. The clown in the 20g was constantly chasing the damsel. Didn't like the damsel at all from day one which I didn't expect because He was fine with the blenny, actually they were buddies for a long time.

Unfortunately, the blenny passed away, I suspect he wasn't able to get enough food or algae.

So now I gotta choose another fish or 2 for this tank since Flash is all by himself.

otherwise everything is going good in this tank.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately i had to make the decision to shut down both my lagoon and this tank.

I now only have a 10g with my original clowns. I went back to the basics.

It was a difficult decision but it was necessary. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I hope you and your family are well. It has been such a crazy year. I am sorry that you had to take both tanks down but at least you still have one to enjoy. It will be a lot less work and less stress. Take care and stay safe.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 7:43 AM, debbeach13 said:

I hope you and your family are well. It has been such a crazy year. I am sorry that you had to take both tanks down but at least you still have one to enjoy. It will be a lot less work and less stress. Take care and stay safe.

My dad is sick and i'm taking care of him. I have some issues as well. Thank you so much for the kind words.

My tank may be gone but i'll be staying here.

Agreed. My consultation to you, you’ve always been a huge help and supporter on here. Your Dad is in good hands with you that’s for sure! Wish you the best! Look out for another tag on the Dino updates! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 6 months later...
On 7/25/2017 at 9:24 AM, Clown79 said:

I lucked out to get a 10g IM with the Skyye light used for $50. It had been used for 6mnths for a freshwater tank. It was in excellent condition.

We made a pedestal stand for it out of 2x4's and special grade plywood used to make tractor trailers. This stand is solid and very heavy!

Equipment

10g Im

Stock pump

Spin Stream Nozzle

Skyye Light 10k 50/50

Caribsea black hawaiian live sand

80% dry rock/20% liverock

I cycled the tank with just the liverock, no dosing of anything. The tank took 6 weeks to cycle.

I had a favia brain in the tank because it had been in my 15g but was attacked by peppermint shrimp so I had to remove it. It was in bad shape.

After the first waterchange we added a few hermits and snails.

After a month we added a leather which was a carnation leather. Upon finding out the difficulty in success with this coral I brought it back to the store. I didn't want to take the chance and lose a coral in such a new tank.

My first fish was a purple firefish. it was added about 2 months after start up.  It was absolutely beautiful and such a great fish.

031.jpg

187.jpg

190.jpg

033.jpg

I realize that I’m replying to your post back in 2017 but I like to know how you are faring with carnation coral.  They are hard to keep in captivity from what I understand.   I acquired one about a month ago and I haven’t seen it’s polyps extending lately...

11 hours ago, TNSRFR said:

I realize that I’m replying to your post back in 2017 but I like to know how you are faring with carnation coral.  They are hard to keep in captivity from what I understand.   I acquired one about a month ago and I haven’t seen it’s polyps extending lately...

I traded in the coral within days. As much as its beautiful, i didn't want something that difficult.