ReefCleaners.org

Tiny Ocean 2.0 Fluval Evo 13.5

TinyOcean

low tech isn't bad, less to go wrong...just need to make sure it's safe and sufficient! :D

you could take a look at the InTank media baskets...they have two for the Evo 13. one for filtration and then one to offer refugium function. that's still low tech, but just a custom niche product that makes filter function even better!  B)

• Like 1
haleschristine

Norbert is adorabbbbbleee. :wub:

Question - I thought puffers would eat inverts/shrimps/snails/etc? If not, I definitely want to get one for my tank.

yes, my understanding is that they do eat snails/shrimp and such. in fact, it's necessary to provide them this so their beaks remain trim.

would be somewhat interesting to have an opae ula tank to provide a food source...  :ninja:

• Like 1
haleschristine
Just now, Friendly said:

yes, my understanding is that they do eat snails/shrimp and such. in fact, it's necessary to provide them this so their beaks remain trim.

would be somewhat interesting to have an opae ula tank to provide a food source...  :ninja:

That is what I thought.. My fw puffers go crazy over tiny snails but haven't messed with the ghost shrimp/bigger snails in their tank.

Curious if anyone has had success with cleaner shrimp and toby puffers...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, haleschristine said:

Norbert is adorabbbbbleee. :wub:

Question - I thought puffers would eat inverts/shrimps/snails/etc? If not, I definitely want to get one for my tank.

Thank you! Yes unfortunately cleaner shrimp, Small crabs and snails are not safe with him. I do have a large hermit crab and clam that are safe so far.

2 hours ago, haleschristine said:

That is what I thought.. My fw puffers go crazy over tiny snails but haven't messed with the ghost shrimp/bigger snails in their tank.

Curious if anyone has had success with cleaner shrimp and toby puffers...

Yes I'm actually curious about this too but I'm not going to subject a shrimp to the test lol. At least not a cleaner one anyways. I'll be throwing in frozen shrimp from the grocery store with shell on and I have an order in at my lfs for a bunch of baby snails which unfortunately will become lunch but I have to keep his teeth trimmed. I'm also going to feed live ghost shrimp for teeth trimming.

2 hours ago, Friendly said:

Haha I'm thinking if I turn my edge into a frag tank I'll Start a snail colony in there.

3 hours ago, Friendly said:

low tech isn't bad, less to go wrong...just need to make sure it's safe and sufficient! :D

you could take a look at the InTank media baskets...they have two for the Evo 13. one for filtration and then one to offer refugium function. that's still low tech, but just a custom niche product that makes filter function even better!  B)

Do you know who makes them?

4 minutes ago, TinyOcean said:

Haha I'm thinking if I turn my edge into a frag tank I'll Start a snail colony in there.

Do you know who makes them?

StevieT from the forums here, there's a website. Dunno about Canada shipping though.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, TinyOcean said:

Oh it does! I'm just weirdly nervous about using aiptasia x with Norbert in the tank lol. Is that weird? I've used it with Bogart in the tank and I know it's safe but now I'm like omg what if it does something! 

One quickly becomes 20.  Put crazy glue gel over it fast! or putty. In my experience they wiggle around the putty though and poke the head out again.  Very clever little pests.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

my LFS has a Norber for 24.99

Is it healthy and eating?  If so I tell you to Dooo it! But at least read up on them first lol and you might lose a few inverts.

11 minutes ago, MarieH said:

One quickly becomes 20.  Put crazy glue gel over it fast! or putty. In my experience they wiggle around the putty though and poke the head out again.  Very clever little pests.

Oh yes I know. An outbreak of them killed all my zoas. I don't know why I haven't nuked this one yet lol. 

hey Tiny, with what you've done so far, have you found any annoyances or things that don't make sense with the Evo? 

what are your thoughts on the lights? sufficient or something that will need changing? 

haleschristine

1 hour ago, TinyOcean said:

Yes I'm actually curious about this too but I'm not going to subject a shrimp to the test lol. At least not a cleaner one anyways. I'll be throwing in frozen shrimp from the grocery store with shell on and I have an order in at my lfs for a bunch of baby snails which unfortunately will become lunch but I have to keep his teeth trimmed. I'm also going to feed live ghost shrimp for teeth trimming.

I would love to have a puffer in my tank but my cleaner shrimp is my favorite, couldn't risk him getting hurt or eaten :tears:

Maybe an excuse to set up a new tank later down the road.... lol

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Friendly said:

hey Tiny, with what you've done so far, have you found any annoyances or things that don't make sense with the Evo? 

what are your thoughts on the lights? sufficient or something that will need changing? 

So far I am loving this thing! The light does seem quite sufficient to support shrooms,Zoas, macroalgae, GSP, Kenya and Colt corals but I'm not sure how it would do for more light demanding corals. Lugos12 has a frogspawn that's doing well and I plan on adding Acans so I guess we shall find out!

Just now, TinyOcean said:

So far I am loving this thing! The light does seem quite sufficient to support shrooms,Zoas, macroalgae, GSP, Kenya and Colt corals but I'm not sure how it would do for more light demanding corals. Lugos12 has a frogspawn that's doing well and I plan on adding Acans so I guess we shall find out!

I have two mushrooms, some GSP, and branching hammer all doing well

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, haleschristine said:

I would love to have a puffer in my tank but my cleaner shrimp is my favorite, couldn't risk him getting hurt or eaten :tears:

Maybe an excuse to set up a new tank later down the road.... lol

It would be a fantastic excuse!

Just now, Lugmos12 said:

I have two mushrooms, some GSP, and branching hammer all doing well

Sorry! I ment hammer not frogspawn lol they look so similar to me. 

Be careful to keep the fish food out of her reach.  When I was about 5-6 my sister and I and my cousin were at my aunt and uncle's and decided to play house...including feeding the fish.  There was soooooo much food in there haha.  We got in big trouble for that one!

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Be careful to keep the fish food out of her reach.  When I was about 5-6 my sister and I and my cousin were at my aunt and uncle's and decided to play house...including feeding the fish.  There was soooooo much food in there haha.  We got in big trouble for that one!

Bahaha! Oh no! I'm not terribly worried since I only feed frozen and she can't get into the freezer. I also prepare it in the right amount and just let her squirting it in. She's such a great little helper. I am so proud of her. She looks exactly like my hubby but she's all me in personality and loving fishies!

• Like 1

So came home and saw this. 

20170726_175105.jpg

I had a momentary panic attack thinking Norbert may have ate Skuttlebutt but no he's over here being king of the castle! Time for some bigger shells this weekend I think. He's going to be a big boy!

20170726_201943.jpg

And yes the enormous aiptasia is still ruling the rock lol. 

• Like 3