inTank Media Baskets

Aqua One 35 Nano Tank

DominicDuffy

DominicDuffy

If bought some cheato and have also bought two refugium lights as one wasn't going to arrive in time for the cheato if I was to grow cheato in the sump and also in the hand on the back protein skimmer box would that be enough. I'm not wanting it to fully stop water changes, I just want it to reduce my nitrate levels because they rise quick although I only feed a small amount there times a week

The reason your nutrients is rising is because of the water you are using.

You will continue to Have high nutrients and algae issues as long as you don't cha he your water source.

The simple answer - stop using water with 25 tds.

We've tried to help and

Unfortunately, you don't seem to like that answers.

The simplest reason and pretty easy fix.

Good luck

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DominicDuffy said:

Yeah I understand it's 25 tds but all I was thinking is if I get a refugium going it will use all this nutrient up

You don't want tds. That's a very high number and you have no idea what's being introduced into the tank.

A tiny refugium really has very little impact on nutrients especially high ones.

• 2 weeks later...
DominicDuffy

I'm currently having some problems with my corals if lost a chalice, a zoa , a favia and one acan drag. My nitrates are between 5-10 and all my other parameters are in check. Could the nitrates be causing this and also if turned my pacemaker off as I lost my acan because the polyp fell of its skeleton so I thought that could be the reason

There are many factors.

Your nitrates aren't overly high but you mentioned your water is RO water with 25 tds.

You have no idea what's going into your tank via the water source. Ro is not pure therefore there are many contaminants that may be getting introduced into your tank.

Your lighting may be an issue

Inconsistent parameters - lps need stable alk.

Not sure if it's the powerhead - depends on how strong the flow is

1 hour ago, DominicDuffy said:

I find it hard to keep my parameters stable because when I do a water change they all change slightly.

That's because during the week your parameters are obviously dropping.

Unfortunately,  water source may be a continuous issue if you don't change your water source.

coryscritch

yo! Get online and order an ro/di Buddie. It’s like $60 and it works very well for a tiny system like you have. Don’t come back until you do 

• Like 1
DominicDuffy

Yeah I think the rodi is the best option I have noticed that my refugium is defiantly slowing down my nitrates from increasing. Because after each water change now they are getting and staying closer to zero

DominicDuffy

I did a water change four days ago and after completing the water change I tested my nitrates and they were between 5 and 10. Iv retested my nitrates today and they are near enough zero. Surely my refugium must be working for this to happen. Also my chaeto has grown 4 times the size it was since I installed a refugium 2 weeks ago. The only issue I'm currently facing is a brown algae which is growing on my sand it looks like brown dust but when I look closer it's like strands which stand off the sand bed. When I turn my lights off it basically goes but grows back throughout the day. My phosphates are 0.025 and I run my lights for 7 hours a day with the blue channels on 100% white on 30% and red, green and uv on 20%. I am also running bro. Could this be because of the nitrates decreasing suddenly causing an imbalance between them and the phosphates?

20180430_223754.jpg

20180430_224408.jpg

20180430_224414.jpg

20180430_224424.jpg

On 4/26/2018 at 12:42 PM, DominicDuffy said:

I'm currently having some problems with my corals if lost a chalice, a zoa , a favia and one acan drag. My nitrates are between 5-10 and all my other parameters are in check. Could the nitrates be causing this and also if turned my pacemaker off as I lost my acan because the polyp fell of its skeleton so I thought that could be the reason

Dude, leave your pacemaker on. 

• Like 1

would be much easier / faster to just attack the problem at the most likely source. the source water. i'm sure you're aware of this, as it's been said 12874 times already. what will it take for you to address that?

the brown algae you describe is most likely dinos or cyano and it will keep getting worse over time, until you determine the cause and eliminate it. 

i'm not sure why you're chasing ultra low/zero nitrates so hard. nitrates are NOT the reason your corals are dying. I have had 15-20+ ppm and never lost a coral because of it. i'm not sure why your corals are dying but again, it's very very unlikely caused by nitrate at 5-10ppm.

go to the store today and get DISTILLED water. use it for a couple weeks and see how things progress. if the algae decreases and the corals start looking better/not dying, you'll know you need a new water source. it's that simple, just give it a try.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
DominicDuffy

If set my rodi system up today and I'm getting 0tds from the output. However, it's only dripping on the output and I'm not getting no waste from what I can make out. How do I did this ?

Also my garden tap which I have connected the rodi to is leaking from the adaptor 

DominicDuffy

It case pre assembled but I were moved the ro membrane and di stage to flush for 15 mins. Then after I connected it back up and flushed the full system for 30 mins untill it produced 0tds. Its been on 7 hours and it has only produced about 6 litres and I can't see no waste coming out of the waste pipe. Also the flow from the rodi water outlet is only dripping.

DominicDuffy

What pictures do you want. Could it be because of the garden hose adaptor leaking as it is leaking a lot. How can i for the garden adaptor.

2 minutes ago, DominicDuffy said:

What pictures do you want. Could it be because of the garden hose adaptor leaking as it is leaking a lot. How can i for the garden adaptor.

Maybe, can you wrap Teflon around it to fix it perhaps?

This stuff:

Image result for teflon pipe tape

If it came pre-assembled, I would assume they put it together correctly...

What brand is it?

DominicDuffy

It is this one. And it has a rubber gasket inside but obvisoly seems not to be working. Maybe yeah I'll have to try some plumbers tape

Screenshot_20180517-231930_eBay.jpg

46 minutes ago, DominicDuffy said:

I just removed the flow regulator and waste water came flying out. Do I need the regulater in ?

Yes. Maybe the the flow restrictor is malfunctioning? Or maybe there is not enough pressure coming from your hose? Is the hose really long? 

I have never tried to hook mine up to a hose before although it came with an adapter for one. You may need to pick up a pressure gage if your system didn't come with one to see if that could be the problem.

Flow restrictors are essential to a properly functioning RO system. Be sure to have the appropriate flow restrictor for the membrane you have. If you decide to change your membrane to a higher or lower GPD membrane, you must also replace the flow restrictor to correspond with the membrane.

DominicDuffy

Yeah my hose is pretty long however I think a lot of the pressure is being lossed due to the adaptor. I'm going to buy some teflon/plumbers take today and see if that helps. I'm currently making rodi water at the minutes even though no waste and little rodi water is be produced. Is it alright to keep using the rodi system even though no waste is being produced ? TDS is 0 still