inTank Media Baskets

7.5g nano reef

Melfy77

So after years of not having a fish tank, I am back in the hobby with a 7.5 gallon cubic tank (was supposed to get a 4g but there was a mistake but a very nice one haha). Love the size. The tank is in my room, so has to be somehow quiet. So far I have about 10 pounds of LR, 1 HOB hagen 20 with no filter media yet, 1 sicce nano voyager 1000 l/h, and one 100W heater. I wanna get another pump since there are dead spots at the bottom and I was thinking hydor korelia 240? 

I'm expecting my refractometer today because I just hate those plastic thingy are just making me swear lol. From what i get my density is 1.022 so will adjust it today when it gets here.

For lighting I had the Sepora 16 LED watt but ugliest light ever and wayyyy too weak so got this one instead https://www.amazon.ca/Sanrise-Aqua-Knight-Aquarium-Mount/dp/B01ETQ92AE

I am planing on keeping softies and LPS (not SPS had them years ago and way too much maintenance for the time I have). For fish (i have two little girls, 3 and 4 so there has to be one fish in there at some point lol) I was thinking small goby. For inverts, shrimp and snails, got mixed reviews about hermit crabs.

I bougt some caribsea live sand just waiting to get all my water pumps set up first to check for dead spots, it's easier to see on bare bottom.

No pics yet waiting for the lights to get here ( somewhere between tuesday and friday).

I had terrible experience with algae last time so hopefully this time will be better (smaller tank, better circulation, distilled water, small bioload, and water changes)

Thanks! I ended up buying a hydor 565 and put up near the top and the sicce is close to the bottom, so no real dead spots and easy to clean. Also decided to do BB, as I remember having terrible algae problem in the past, and planning to put zoas and mushrooms at the bottom anyway. I think my tank is cycles already. I just sarted testing yesterday (feel kinda dumb about it lol) and 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5 for nitrates. Did a 20% water change. I did use cured LR though and got about 10 pounds of it. Light is supposed to come in today?.

What should I get for CUC? I would like a scarlet hermit crab or 2 with snails. Later down the road? I want some sexy shrimp with LPS and SPS?. And maybe a tiny goby or blenny. 

There's a pic! But obviously the light is just one T8 I use to have on my previous freshwater tank. Just wanted a bit of light while waiting for my LED fixture. Temp is around 25 and we've had some hot days, so that's good! Density is 1.025 (btw soooo much better with a refractometer hahahaha) the little ball is called a bio ball, it's super porous and filled with bacteria.

20170713_083921.jpg

• Like 1

With liverock you probably won't have a cycle.

Sometimes there's a spike but it's often very short.

You could use less than 10lbs in a 7.5g

5lbs is enough.

Scarlet hermits are great.

A tailspot blenny or clown goby would be a good addition.

Trochus snails are great.

I have to agree about sand. It's a pain.

My next tank I'm doing  only enough sand to cover a bit and it graduates into barebottom

• Like 1

Ckown 79: thanks for the advice?

My light came in!!! I love it!! It's dimmable but you have to do it manually. Still way better than the Seapora. Here's a pic. I like having a blueish hue to my light

14999652159941738845793.jpg

• Like 2

So I went to get some stuff. And there was this tiny tank raised black occellaris thst was bullied by all the other ones from the same batch..super healthy and tiny. LFS knew me and was hoping for someone with a small tank for the little fella. I took it in. Love the little guy, and so do my girls!!:D

Here's a pic 

20170716_201409.jpg

• Like 5

I know!!! So cute:D i might get mixed opinions here, but i'm getting another little clownfish (slightly bigger to help with the mating). I love clownfish pairs and they are so entertaining. BUT these 2 fish will be the only ones in my tank!! No goby. I've had some before and they would always end up eaten by something or dry and crisp on the floor:wacko:

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

slightly bigger

Sometimes it's helpful if there is a notable size difference between the two.  Then there is no question which one is dominant.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, seabass said:

Sometimes it's helpful if there is a notable size difference between the two.  Then there is no question which one is dominant.

I was just worried about the bigger one being too rough, but that makes sense I remember my Clarkiis there was barely a difference and it took forever for them to pair lol. Female had this giant carpet anemone and the male was hosted by a powerhead:rolleyes:. Also I would like them to have a host, and obviously anemone like a BTA is not really an option, so what are they more likely to take?

Thanks for your input 

Normally I recommend getting a much smaller mate for an existing clownfish.  However, in this case... well...

I really don't think there will be a problem.  Your fish is obviously a juvenile so there is no chance that it's female yet.  He should immediately become submissive to the larger fish.

While a 7.5 gallon tank is OK for a single clownfish, it's a little too small for an adult pair.  Do you plan on upsizing to a larger tank down the road?

There isn't a host anemone suitable for a 7.5 gallon tank (at least for the long term).  If you do upgrade, then you can get a suitable tank for a BTA.  In the meantime, they may accept a torch or other coral as a substitute host.  But there's a good chance they will just pick a spot in the tank that they like to hang out in.

• Like 2

Get Clowny a goby friend and a cleaner shrimp.  I second clown goby.... make sure you don't buy a shrimp goby or other goby that needs substrate.

On 7/19/2017 at 10:00 AM, seabass said:

Normally I recommend getting a much smaller mate for an existing clownfish.  However, in this case... well...

I really don't think there will be a problem.  Your fish is obviously a juvenile so there is no chance that it's female yet.  He should immediately become submissive to the larger fish.

While a 7.5 gallon tank is OK for a single clownfish, it's a little too small for an adult pair.  Do you plan on upsizing to a larger tank down the road?

There isn't a host anemone suitable for a 7.5 gallon tank (at least for the long term).  If you do upgrade, then you can get a suitable tank for a BTA.  In the meantime, they may accept a torch or other coral as a substitute host.  But there's a good chance they will just pick a spot in the tank that they like to hang out in.

Yeah i'm thinking of setting up a 15g FOWLR to put the clowns in. Nothing fancy but tank just for them. With snails and a cleaner shrimp.

That would be fine for them.  It's still a bit small for a host anemone, but ocellaris clownfish don't require a host anemone.  In fact, there is no guarantee that they would even take to a host (although, eventually, they probably would).

2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I've heard of clowns hosting various euphyllia species and anthelia/xenia before.  Your clown is super cute!

Hihi thanks:D

New tank is being set up tomorrow or monday! The nano will stay fishless for some time, until I decide what to get (if i get anything). The clownfish tank will be a lot more enjoyable for my daughters:wub:

• Like 1

So my other occelaris I got commited suicide:/...well...never had one jump before...so tiny clownfish clownfish is on it's own again. Will start setting up the new tank this week and obviously not getting another clown until the other tank is ready..and it will have a lid lol

And for my nano  I was thinking of a tailspot blenny as my only fish. It looks like a very cool fish.

29 minutes ago, seabass said:

They can also jump. :(

Yes the can. Especially when they get spooked.

Is there a fish that can't?

I won't run a tank without a mesh lid now.

My clown jumps to try to attack my hand, I've lost a goby over night, I've lost a firefish in the past, and then there's the snails that try to leave. 

48 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Is there a fish that can't?

I suppose; maybe a seahorse? :unsure:

However, some are much more likely to jump than others.  A mesh top is a good precaution for any fish.  My 100 gallon has a top, but I've run a number of topless tanks before.

Like you said, getting spooked is one reason they jump.  So keeping peaceful fish can help.  Also, lightly stocking your tank might help.  I've also heard that having moonlights could possibly help.

2 minutes ago, seabass said:

I suppose; maybe a seahorse? :unsure:

However, some are much more likely to jump than others.  A mesh top is a good precaution for any fish.  My 100 gallon has a top, but I've run a number of topless tanks before.

Like you said, getting spooked is one reason they jump.  So keeping peaceful fish can help.  Also, lightly stocking your tank might help.  I've also heard that having moonlights could possibly help.

I have moonlighting. I actually just started using the Ai cycle for half the night(I like to provide some complete darkness). It's pretty cool. 

My goby was never jumpy. Very calm and one morning the hubby found it in front of the tank ? I have a mesh lid but there's a tiny opening, somehow it made it through that to the front and the cats didn't get it either. 

Yeah now I know they jump :( I like the idea of mesh but how does it affect lighting? Would plexiglas work? I tried to let the blue leds run at night but can't dim them enough so wayyyyy to bright and tank is my bedroom...speaking of which, i wanna upgrade to a programmable light, but don't know what to chose. AI are nice but i'm from montreal canada and here they're well over 300$ before taxes:(. I like the kessil A80 but having to buy a controller kinda blows. I've heard good things about the coral moon box by reefbreeders, but heard the wifi is iffy (same with AI actually). Leaning towards the kessil. What do you think?