SaltCritters.com

Dueling 80s

StinkyBunny

6 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

That really sucks 😐... figures, I finally get into saltwater and things are gonna go to hell. Do you think that people that aquaculture them are going to jack up the prices??

They are already doing it, we've all raised prices. What I was selling for $20 8 months ago I'm selling for $120 now. I saw what was coming and I planned ahead when everyone else was turning and burning. I stashed 2 boxes every week of top shelf stock and sat on it. It does help when you have a friend there to let you know what is going on. It doesn't look good. I'm hoping that if i is some sort of bacterial infection there it gets cleared up soon.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

They are already doing it, we've all raised prices. What I was selling for $20 8 months ago I'm selling for $120 now. I saw what was coming and I planned ahead when everyone else was turning and burning. I stashed 2 boxes every week of top shelf stock and sat on it. It does help when you have a friend there to let you know what is going on. It doesn't look good. I'm hoping that if i is some sort of bacterial infection there it gets cleared up soon.

Such a shame:unsure:. Hopefully things level off and go back to normal.

7 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Such a shame:unsure:. Hopefully things level off and go back to normal.

Until Indo opens up, don't hold your breath. They pulled this shit back in the 80s and it lasted damn near 2 years. Right now there are 35,000 people in Indo out of work because of the coral ban. I won't order fish out of Jakarta and I think a few of the others have stopped to try to force their hand.

The aquaculture places that were barely scraping by before the ban are in the driver's seat right now and they're gonna make some money, can't blame them.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Until Indo opens up, don't hold your breath. They pulled this shit back in the 80s and it lasted damn near 2 years. Right now there are 35,000 people in Indo out of work because of the coral ban. I won't order fish out of Jakarta and I think a few of the others have stopped to try to force their hand.

The aquaculture places that were barely scraping by before the ban are in the driver's seat right now and they're gonna make some money, can't blame them.

Yeah that supply and demand crap lol. Well, I guess I'll just have to get buy with my little 20 gallon collection. There is a guy on craigslist close to me that posted an add of rock flowers for sale. He's probably got 40 all different colors and they are 10-25 a piece :happydance:. I bought a new laptop yesturday morning and that afternoon I saw the post...figures. I'm gonna save it and see what he has next week or maybe the week after. I'll load up on flowers :smilie:

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Yeah that supply and demand crap lol. Well, I guess I'll just have to get buy with my little 20 gallon collection. There is a guy on craigslist close to me that posted an add of rock flowers for sale. He's probably got 40 all different colors and they are 10-25 a piece :happydance:. I bought a new laptop yesturday morning and that afternoon I saw the post...figures. I'm gonna save it and see what he has next week or maybe the week after. I'll load up on flowers :smilie:

RFAs come from Florida, not the Pacific so they're safe.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

RFAs come from Florida, not the Pacific so they're safe.

Oh cool I didn't know that. That's good to know 🙂

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

oh yeah those are nice :smilie:. I think sancho gave me tank aids lol, gonna fix that first.

those are just a sample of the colours he has, he has some really nice pieces.

• Like 1

I got word the other day that Fiji might reopen in May, I ain't holding my breath on that one.  I hope I'm wrong, I love the corals from there.

In tank news, my 80 reef is doing well. There's some red cotton candy algae in it that the Green stripe hermits from the Chesapeake Bay seem to REALLY like. Once I clean up the glass I'll shoot some video of the tank and some pictures, When those hermits clean, they take the algae all the way down to the rock, it's amazing what they do.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
StinkyBunny

Broke my 80 down and moved everything to the shop for now. Keeping reef tanks isn't fun anymore to me. We're setting up systems for breeding some exotic freshwater species in house and the marine section will shrink by 40%. Without the corals, no use in keeping fish on hand for more than a week. Next week they're scheduled to come in and build my display tank that I've had the glass for for 3 years now. A lot of our personal stock will go into that tanks, I still have about 500 lbs of Manado rock that is going to go into that tank as well as my huge, 1-2' leather corals and large colonies of hard corals. This will be my last post in the thread. Once the new tank is up and settled I'll be posting it on Instagram.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Broke my 80 down and moved everything to the shop for now. Keeping reef tanks isn't fun anymore to me. We're setting up systems for breeding some exotic freshwater species in house and the marine section will shrink by 40%. Without the corals, no use in keeping fish on hand for more than a week. Next week they're scheduled to come in and build my display tank that I've had the glass for for 3 years now. A lot of our personal stock will go into that tanks, I still have about 500 lbs of Manado rock that is going to go into that tank as well as my huge, 1-2' leather corals and large colonies of hard corals. This will be my last post in the thread. Once the new tank is up and settled I'll be posting it on Instagram.

Change is good 

Look forward to seeing everything!

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
second_decimal
On 10/29/2017 at 5:12 PM, StinkyBunny said:

Found this for all you chefs out there. I use a LOT of Cypress flake, Himalayan pink and regular old sea salt. This place has the best prices I've found as well. If you do saline sinus rinses, just use regular sea salt.

https://www.seasalt.com/

I read somewhere that seasalt is part of the sea which is the great unifier and man‘s only hope 🤷‍♂️