Coral Vue Hydros

MicroBacter7 Question

OCNcheffy

So I'm going to be starting the cycle on my 60g cube build this weekend and I had decided to give this product a try after hearing some positive results on the product. My understanding is this product introduces bacteria to break down ammonia into nitrite and nitrate, but does this product also introduce an ammonia source to feed the bacteria? Or do I still have to provide some source of ammonia separately? 

The tank has Caribsea Live sand, and new dry marco rock. I don't believe that on it's own, it would start a cycle, unless the live sand would kick start it. I had even thought about adding a couple chunks of frozen mysis with the MicroBacter7 to help it along as well.

you do need an ammonia source.  I like microbacter7 but since trying fritzyme9 I am never going back. lol  But bother are good, fritz is just better ;)

2 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

you do need an ammonia source.  I like microbacter7 but since trying fritzyme9 I am never going back. lol  But bother are good, fritz is just better ;)

What would the microbacter feed on then if I didn't provide an ammonia food source? Or does the bacteria just colonize the tank and the microbacter provide food already for the bacteria. I guess that would make sense since the bottle is already live..

3 minutes ago, OCNcheffy said:

What would the microbacter feed on then if I didn't provide an ammonia food source? Or does the bacteria just colonize the tank and the microbacter provide food already for the bacteria. I guess that would make sense since the bottle is already live..

They would essentially consume eachother (or whatever is given off when they die) as they die, assuming they've eaten whatever food is in the bottle.

Bottom line is you need ammonia in your tank for them to multiply.

Just now, lkoechle said:

They would essentially consume eachother (or whatever is given off when they die) as they die, assuming they've eaten whatever food is in the bottle.

Bottom line is you need ammonia in your tank for them to multiply.

Yup. 

Its just easier and cleaner to add the bottled ammonia. Not any of the extra nutes you get from letting food rot in there. 

• Like 1