Top Shelf Aquatics

MrBill's 10g

MrBill2u

The corals are not my concern.  I am sure they will do fine without feeding, although they have show remarkable response to daily spot feeding.  My concern are the nassarius snails and peppermint shrimp. I have no fish to feed so they have no scraps to clean up.  

And thank you!  The part where most people get glassy eyed is the part where my ears perk up.  My biggest concern for my tank right now is that I have only seen 2-3 amphipods so far, so I am not sure I have a sustainable population  My "out" for the nopox was supposed to be amphipods, copepods and rotifers flesh + those same critters breaking down the bacteria back to nitrogenous compounds.  The final export in my system is chaeto, but I do not like have only one solution in place for any problem.  I like having the nopox there for times when my refugium light is not on or some spike happens.  My idea with feeding the tank daily was the notion that eventually my tank will have to deal with a snail death, and when it does I would much rather go from a medium amount of available nutrition to a large amount than go from a miniscule amount to a large.  The more food I can get moving through my system safely the less the impact of any nutrient spike.

I will feed the same 1/64th largest GP again daily now just to give the nassarius and peppermint something to eat.  The liquids I will likely drop back to once or twice weekly.

This morning as I had my hand in the tank for some maintenance I noticed the peppermint shrimp staring and doing its little dance.  I stopped and put my finger close to see if he would be bold enough to hop on with less than a week in the tank.  I got my first peppermint shrimp manicure :)  

• Like 1

Once you start adding corals, you will need to keep an eye on the Peppermint Shrimp to be sure they don't start nibbling them. 

They're supposed to be Reef Safe, but..... they aren't always. Speaking from experience on that one. 

Also, you can actually leave the light on over your Chaeto 24/7 if you want. 

Check this out, I suspect you'll find this interesting: http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com/testimonial-article/

I tried this for a few months in a Pico I ran, but not long enough to give solid evidence to support it. 

Also, I used Fiji Mud instead of the Miracle Mud. I did see good results from the mud though, and will be using it in one section of my new build. 

Anyway, one of the components of that system is keeping light on 24/7 over the refugium Macroalgae. 

But the tank is a 10g,not a 150g. I think you're overthinking everything 110%. My 7g I feed everything 1-2 times a week,and thats it and everything is happy. 

Take everything that everyone is saying as they are trying to help you,not gang up on you. 

On 7/18/2017 at 9:53 AM, Weetabix7 said:

Once you start adding corals, you will need to keep an eye on the Peppermint Shrimp to be sure they don't start nibbling them. 

They're supposed to be Reef Safe, but..... they aren't always. Speaking from experience on that one. 

Also, you can actually leave the light on over your Chaeto 24/7 if you want. 

Check this out, I suspect you'll find this interesting: http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com/testimonial-article/

I tried this for a few months in a Pico I ran, but not long enough to give solid evidence to support it. 

Also, I used Fiji Mud instead of the Miracle Mud. I did see good results from the mud though, and will be using it in one section of my new build. 

Anyway, one of the components of that system is keeping light on 24/7 over the refugium Macroalgae. 

Yeah peps can be little turkeys sometimes lol. 

The tank seems to appreciate the refugium lights being on all the time, but it is starting to heat up a bit.  It stays 80-81 during the late afternoon into the evening now.  I may need to switch over to an MP10 to get the powerhead heat out of the aquarium or switch back to an inverse refugium cycle. 

1 hour ago, MrBill2u said:

The tank seems to appreciate the refugium lights being on all the time, but it is starting to heat up a bit.  It stays 80-81 during the late afternoon into the evening now.  I may need to switch over to an MP10 to get the powerhead heat out of the aquarium or switch back to an inverse refugium cycle. 

Try switching back to a reverse cycle and see how that goes. 

I have cut the feedings waaaaaay back.  I feed just 1/64th tsp of the bigger GP every other day.  The diatoms are vanishing this morning and there are a few tufts of hair algae left for the tail spot.  I am reading 4ppm nitrates now and 0.01ppm phosphates.  I am starting to get a bit concerned because I wasn't planning on driving the phosphates that low. Does anyone know if  mysis, GP, reef nutrition A/B or phyto would likely raise my phosphates better?

2 hours ago, MrBill2u said:

I have cut the feedings waaaaaay back.  I feed just 1/64th tsp of the bigger GP every other day.  The diatoms are vanishing this morning and there are a few tufts of hair algae left for the tail spot.  I am reading 4ppm nitrates now and 0.01ppm phosphates.  I am starting to get a bit concerned because I wasn't planning on driving the phosphates that low. Does anyone know if  mysis, GP, reef nutrition A/B or phyto would likely raise my phosphates better?

Honestly not sure, but try Mysis. 

You don't want it too much higher though.

My phosphates are barely detectable now.  In other news my nitrites, which had fallen to 0 some time ago, are now reading .25.  Nitrates are 2 ppm.  I am concerned now that my lack of phosphorous is a limiting factor for both nitrite and nitrate reduction.

The good news is that while I thought my emerald crab was missing I found him alive and well yesterday.  All tank inhabitants are alive and accounted for.   I haven't had a single livestock death yet.  

24 minutes ago, MrBill2u said:

Here is the latest addition.  Superman rhodactis just starting to wake up.

uvt7LhQ.jpg

Oooh, I love these, haven't had one in ages!!!

So the hairy stuff is definitely bryopsis.  It seems the tail spot and the emerald crab have divided the tank in half.  The emerald keeps the right half clear and the tail spot...  well... he's kind of special.  Realizing it was bryopsis the tail spot was pecking at I tried to help him out a bit and feed the largest of the GP.  He got really excited at the smell, but ignored the pellets as they bounced past his cheek.  Out of frustration he tore up a few patches of bryopsis.  Then I tried some larger marine pellets.  Same.  One actually bounced off of his nose while he was looking the mirror trying to follow the other tail spot to see what he was supposed to be eating.   Out of rage he ripped out some more bryopsis.  I then added a few bits of flake food.  Again he swam in circles like he was excited for this new food, but as he dodged the flakes he would instead go for the little strands of bryopsis in the column and spit them out when they didn't taste like the water smelled.  The left half of the tank is getting to look like a manicured byropsis lawn as the tailspot hops from patch to patch leaving only a stub of the roots as he grazes.  He never did eat any of the food.  That was left for the pods and shrimp to clean up.  

In other news, all the extra food looks to have added some phosphates to the system.  This morning my nitrites were back to 0, nitrates at 1 ppm and phosphates at 0.01 ppm.  I have ordered up some boston bottles so I can begin diluting anything I add to the tank 10:1.  Measuring out 0.125 ml of additives is kind of silly and prone to error.  

2 hours ago, MrBill2u said:

So the hairy stuff is definitely bryopsis.  It seems the tail spot and the emerald crab have divided the tank in half.  The emerald keeps the right half clear and the tail spot...  well... he's kind of special.  Realizing it was bryopsis the tail spot was pecking at I tried to help him out a bit and feed the largest of the GP.  He got really excited at the smell, but ignored the pellets as they bounced past his cheek.  Out of frustration he tore up a few patches of bryopsis.  Then I tried some larger marine pellets.  Same.  One actually bounced off of his nose while he was looking the mirror trying to follow the other tail spot to see what he was supposed to be eating.   Out of rage he ripped out some more bryopsis.  I then added a few bits of flake food.  Again he swam in circles like he was excited for this new food, but as he dodged the flakes he would instead go for the little strands of bryopsis in the column and spit them out when they didn't taste like the water smelled.  The left half of the tank is getting to look like a manicured byropsis lawn as the tailspot hops from patch to patch leaving only a stub of the roots as he grazes.  He never did eat any of the food.  That was left for the pods and shrimp to clean up.  

In other news, all the extra food looks to have added some phosphates to the system.  This morning my nitrites were back to 0, nitrates at 1 ppm and phosphates at 0.01 ppm.  I have ordered up some boston bottles so I can begin diluting anything I add to the tank 10:1.  Measuring out 0.125 ml of additives is kind of silly and prone to error.  

That's hilarious!!

Too bad you don't have a video of it. 

Those numbers are sounding better. 

On the bryopsis, once it's been grazed down to the point you only have "stubble" left, you can manually eradicate it completely by removing the rock it's on, using a paintbrush or q-tip to brush on 35% peroxide (buy from amazon or health food store), let it sit for a minute, then rinse before returning to tank. 

I treated the tank with flunconazole to ward off the bryopsis.  My nitrates hit 0.00 and my phosphates are 0.01 even with the bryopsis melting, so I stopped dosing NOPOX.  

Today as the tail spot was running away from the vicious predatory bits of flake food he decided to show off his eating prowess to those little floating demons and viciously grabbed a stalk of bryopsis off the sand bed.  Little did he know the roots were attached to a tiny shell about the size of his face.  He swallowed the bryopsis whole which stuck the shell, still firmly attached to the bryopsis stalk,  to the side of his head.  He lurked in his secret mountain lair (AKA the barnacle) for 15 minutes trying to find some method of leverage to rid himself of that shell hanging from his mouth.  I eventually I took pity on him and offered him a pair of forceps.  After about 5 minutes of him hiding and me clicking the forceps every 10 seconds or so in front of his secret mountain lair he realized the forceps were not the claws of an angry stainless doom god, but a helping hand.  Slowly he inched his way out and twitched his head around to try and get the shell into the jaw of the forceps.  Eventually we figured out how to play as a team.  I was able to grab that pesky shell and after a short tug-of-war he was able to free himself from the perils of the annoying  face sucking shell.  First fish surgery complete.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, MrBill2u said:

I treated the tank with flunconazole to ward off the bryopsis.  My nitrates hit 0.00 and my phosphates are 0.01 even with the bryopsis melting, so I stopped dosing NOPOX.  

Today as the tail spot was running away from those vicious predatory bits of flake food he decided to show off his eating prowess to those little floating demons and viciously grabbed a stalk of bryopsis off the sand bed.  Little did he know the roots were attached to a tiny shell about the size of his face.  He swallowed the bryopsis whole which stuck the shell, still firmly attached to the bryopsis stalk,  to the side of his head.  He lurked in his secret mountain lair (AKA the barnacle) for 15 minutes trying to find some method of leverage to rid himself of that shell hanging from his mouth.  I eventually I took pity on him and offered him a pair of forceps.  After about 5 minutes of him hiding and me clicking the forceps every 10 seconds or so in front of his secret mountain lair he realized the forceps were not the claws of an angry stainless doom god, but a helping hand.  Slowly he inched his way out and twitched his head around to try and get the shell into the jaw of the forceps.  Eventually we figured out how to play as a team.  I was able to grab that pesky shell and after a short tug-of-war he was able to free himself from the perils of the annoying  face sucking shell.  First fish surgery complete.

What a great story!  Made me laugh lol

• Like 1

The new phone does not take great pictures.  Maybe some day I will get a decent camera.  Until then here is a phone pic of the acan showing off her eyelashes.  The tail spot wasn't sure about the phone so you can see him hiding in his secret mountain lair on the left.

PQUPi4J.jpg

• Like 2
On 7/28/2017 at 1:34 PM, MrBill2u said:

Today as the tail spot was running away from the vicious predatory bits of flake food he decided to show off his eating prowess to those little floating demons and viciously grabbed a stalk of bryopsis off the sand bed.  Little did he know the roots were attached to a tiny shell about the size of his face.  He swallowed the bryopsis whole which stuck the shell, still firmly attached to the bryopsis stalk,  to the side of his head.  He lurked in his secret mountain lair (AKA the barnacle) for 15 minutes trying to find some method of leverage to rid himself of that shell hanging from his mouth.  I eventually I took pity on him and offered him a pair of forceps.  After about 5 minutes of him hiding and me clicking the forceps every 10 seconds or so in front of his secret mountain lair he realized the forceps were not the claws of an angry stainless doom god, but a helping hand.  Slowly he inched his way out and twitched his head around to try and get the shell into the jaw of the forceps.  Eventually we figured out how to play as a team.  I was able to grab that pesky shell and after a short tug-of-war he was able to free himself from the perils of the annoying  face sucking shell.  First fish surgery complete.

"Fish Dr." will look so good on your resume!!

• Like 2

I fed some mysis to the acan this morning.  Now she went from showing off her eyelashes to making kissey faces.  There is a tiny little acan bud on the top.  I convinced that one to eat a tiny little mysis as well.  

wTfdjRj.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, MrBill2u said:

Quick FTS I snapped of the tankmates waking up this morning and testing out their neon lights.

NKVAheH.jpg

Wheeeee, tell us more!!

How are things going in here?

• Like 1

Well, from a testing standpoint the water parameters seem pretty good.  I was not shooting for a ULN system, but that DIY refugium light is kicking but.  I started with a Brillo pad sized chunk of chaeto last month and when I divided it in half yesterday to get a friend started I ended up giving him a mass the size of a football.  It is so bright that I have been turning the chaeto over by hand every few days because the top of it will white out otherwise.  The weekend numbers were 0.00PPM nitrates and 0.02PPM phosphates.  

The bryopsis is totally gone.  I had an outbreak of diatoms after the bryopsis die off, but those appear to be on their way out now.  I feed a single flake to the tank every day to try and convince the tail spot to eat something, but he still doesn't get the concept of eating out of the water.  He gets all excited then swims off and bites a rock or a shell.  Not the brightest crayon in the box, this one.

I stopped by Tidal Gardens and visited Ben yesterday.  Than looked busy so I didn't bug him.  Ben hooked me up with the yellow micromussa, some of the platinum halo montipora, a yellow claw rhodactis and an *amazing* porites colony.  There are dozens of christmas tree worms on it and they are all a deep maroon color.  It is a purple rock with tiny green polyps that fluoresce pretty well.  If anyone ever visits Ohio I would highly recommend stopping by the greenhouse.  They have a great selection.  The most amazing coral I saw there was surprisingly not their bounce shrooms, but a pastel pink goni colony they have growing.  I wasn't ready to drop that kind of money on a gonipora for a new 10 gallon tank, but everyone who saw those frags was floored by them.  

I was upset that my sand was so sterile, so I also ordered up some critters from IPSF that showed up yesterday.  Along with the stars, snails, hermits and bristleworms they sent a couple free candy canes.  The one on the right is like a nuclear flood light.  It fluoresces so brightly that it lights up the rocks beside it.  

Overall I am very happy with the progress of the tank.  I was not sure how the livestock would respond to 1300 gph of flow in a 10g, but so far they seem to be thriving.  The first micromussa I put in there started with 2 heads and has sprouted 2 more in a month.  They are tiny, but growing :)

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I haven't been out here in a while.  The little reef is slowly growing.  The big news in the past week is that after 5 months of the fish dodging his food he finally figured out how to EAT it.  No more getting excited and biting rocks every time I put food in the tank  :)  I snapped a quick video of the tank.  The phone doesn't understand how UV LEDs work, so it is all blown out on the blue end, but you can see all the corals glowing at least.  I love my little porites rock!

Sunset

• 1 month later...

OK, so something crazy happened in this reef.  Wild crazy.  Crazy insane.  Back in August I treated with fluconazole and also added a sand activator pack from IPSF to the refugium.  In the month that followed I left the refugium lights on 24x7.  By the end of my month the chaeto was gone.  it never looked unhealthy, it looked like something with a voracious appetite was eating it!  My parameters all looked good, so I just let it be and kept the refugium lights on at all times.  My corals seemed to appreciate it and all of them have been growing and multiplying.  The crazy part is that I have not done a water change in 6 months, i feed every day, I feed lots more once a week and the system is still testing very low if any nutrients.  No skimming.  No nutrient export of *any* kind.  I have been thoroughly baffled by this, but it seems to be working so I keep on with my routine.  

This made no sense at all with my understanding of how life works until I saw a special on volcanoes and had a eureka moment.  They mentioned that magma often melts due to sea water present in the oceanic plates as they dive under the continental plates.  They knew this because of the amount of carbon they found in the lava.  Carbon that was proof  of ocean sediment from phytoplankton.   Aha!!  Something that could explain what is happening in my system!  I intentionally run my main tank with high flow and my refugium with low flow.  I have seeded my refugium with benthic and planktonic microflora and microfoauna.  I run no filter of *any* kind to ensure the planktonic stuff doesn't get mashed by a skimmer or ripped out by a piece of filter floss.  I notice my refugium always has little dots that look like rotifers floating up and down in the water column.  They only thing I can imagine is finishing off my nitrogen cycle is the carbon being fixed by phytoplankton that eventually gets released as dissolved organic carbon further down the food web.  This in concert with a relatively undisturbed food web in the refugium appears to be doing the trick.  I do have a fine layer of white dust accumulating on the bottom of the refugium under the layer of base rock i placed in there and the worms/amphipods/copepods/starfish/snails seem to be thriving back there.  There is a fine layer of green algae covering the rocks as well.  

Whatever is happening I am thrilled!  The refugium light blew all of its LEDs over the weekend in an arcing event (very exciting), so I am running with diminished light back there.  I have new LEDs en route and the full spectrum spotlight should be back on by this weekend to feed all my lovely phyto  :)  

On 7/24/2017 at 7:01 AM, MrBill2u said:

Right, they're herbivores. Try  feeding it nori or other sea weed like products. If there is some algae in tank he's likely feeding on it.