Cultivated Reef

12x12 cube

patback

5 hours ago, GregEmmitte said:

I want a feather star.. but aren't they difficult to keep?

Depending on who you ask, extremely difficult or impossible.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, patback said:

Depending on who you ask, extremely difficult or impossible.  

It's cute, but a shame they are so hard to keep. Still planning to bring it back, or are you gonna make an attempt to keep it?

• Like 2
SelectedByNature

Stay your resolve, we need more people enjoying the hobby!

Tank looks good. Don't lose faith haha.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, GregEmmitte said:

My understanding is they are essentially filter feeders. They use their tentacles in a similar manner to fan worms. 

Yes, but from my understanding of the little reading I did on them, basket stars are at least do-able in a tank because they process foods inside, meaning they release the undesirables in psuedofeces.  After a while of not getting their desired foods, they will "make do" with less desirable but still edible foods to them and survive while not thriving and stop producing the pseudo feces.  I'm not sure why, but an article in REEF stated something about the feather star sorting their foods externally, and something about them not recognizing the so-so food as food at all.  Apparently people with 500+ gallon tanks can still only keep them for a few months before they start to digest themselves.  

I need to do more reading. It's fine for the time being, but I may take the loss and just donate it to the local aquarium.  They actually house a huge coral propagation project and distribute whole sale around the world, so if anyone can keep it im sure they could. 

22 minutes ago, SelectedByNature said:

Stay your resolve, we need more people enjoying the hobby!

Tank looks good. Don't lose faith haha.

Thanks. I'm still loving the re-start of this tank, it was just something unplanned.  I talked to the fiance yesterday and told her she's more than welcome to get stuff she likes but she needs to listen to what I say and take anything a store worker says with a grain of salt.  Either that, or she needs to set up her own tank.  

• Like 4

Loving the fact that the flaming prawn made his burrow in a very easily viewed spot.  Hating that the serpent star just scared it away.  

• Like 1

Just did about a 50% water change. In 24 hours small,short hair algae overtook all glass and plastic.  Scraped most off and ran some filter floss to pick up residual floaters afterwards.  Everything looks sort of PO'd.

20170610_170350.jpg

• Like 1

Birdsnest

20170610_171511.jpg

3 types of gorgs.  Hard to get them to actually shoe up when the polyps are closed up

20170610_171621.jpg

I never knew Halloween hermits had white bodies.  

20170610_171511.jpg

20170610_171549.jpg

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, GregEmmitte said:

ALL of it? Holy crap. Phosphates?

Pretty close to it. You can see how bad it was around the pumps and close to the rocks on the glass. I more or less wanted to be able to see in the tank, so I didn't do a full cleaning with a razor blade.  

I think it's just a little elevated levels of everything.  About 50 % of the start up water was the old water that went months and months without being changed.  

• Like 1
On 6/5/2017 at 6:12 AM, patback said:

Yes, but from my understanding of the little reading I did on them, basket stars are at least do-able in a tank because they process foods inside, meaning they release the undesirables in psuedofeces.  After a while of not getting their desired foods, they will "make do" with less desirable but still edible foods to them and survive while not thriving and stop producing the pseudo feces.  I'm not sure why, but an article in REEF stated something about the feather star sorting their foods externally, and something about them not recognizing the so-so food as food at all.  Apparently people with 500+ gallon tanks can still only keep them for a few months before they start to digest themselves.  

I need to do more reading. It's fine for the time being, but I may take the loss and just donate it to the local aquarium.  They actually house a huge coral propagation project and distribute whole sale around the world, so if anyone can keep it im sure they could. 

Thanks. I'm still loving the re-start of this tank, it was just something unplanned.  I talked to the fiance yesterday and told her she's more than welcome to get stuff she likes but she needs to listen to what I say and take anything a store worker says with a grain of salt.  Either that, or she needs to set up her own tank.  

A his and hers tank......get  it going!

How you liking the little hawkfish?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

A his and hers tank......get  it going!

How you liking the little hawkfish?

I'm loving him. I will miss the idea of sexy shrimp buy he's pretty cool.  He doesn't give a deal about any prepared foods but I dropped a music cube in today and it was like I was looking at a whole different fish.  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, patback said:

I'm loving him. I will miss the idea of sexy shrimp buy he's pretty cool.  He doesn't give a deal about any prepared foods but I dropped a music cube in today and it was like I was looking at a whole different fish.  

Yep......music cubes do it every time!

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Yellow gorg is bigger.  Frog and octocoral are huge compared to when we bought it, and this fella is in my tank. 

20170630_163857.jpg

I'm also pleased to introduce you all to....

Screenshot_20170702-222242.png

Calla and lilly.   Or Autumn and pumpkin. We aren't sure yet.  We will be picking them up tonight. :)

Edited by patback
  • Like 2
46 minutes ago, patback said:

Yellow gorg is bigger.  Frog and octocoral are huge compared to when we bought it, and this fella is in my tank. 

20170630_163857.jpg

I'm also pleased to introduce you all to....

Screenshot_20170702-222242.png

Calla and lilly.   Or Autumn and pumpkin. We aren't sure yet.  We will be picking them up tonight. :)

The little boy looks like a "jack".

Just saying. 

19 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

The little boy looks like a "jack".

Just saying. 

I got vetoed on Jack. Completely forgot if we have a son his name is gonna be Jack.  :duh:

17 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

How are you liking the little hawk?

He's pretty much a model citizen.  Hops around once in a blue moon, usually hanging out right next to the toadstool.   Really really likes his mysis

The pipefish disappeared however.  Not sure if it died or jumped and we just haven't found him.  Dead body tends to cover the smell of a small pipefish. :lol:

• Like 1