ReefCleaners.org

12 gallon Mr Aqua.... Lessons learned.... 🤓

JcSH2o

7 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

Just read through your posts and I'm excited to welcome you to the wild world of reefing :)

Youve made some great choices on equipment and I really like your rock scape.

Have you decided on a Powerhead yet? Personally I am a huuuge fan of the tunze 6040. I even made a video on YouTube if you wanna check it out.

Happy reefing :) 

Hi and thank you! I appreciate the kind words. You know, I stared long and hard at the Tunze 6040 and 45. Up until the last moment I was sure I was going to get one of those. 

But at then I went with the Aqamai instead. I think it was the overall functionality that got me. So far it seems to work great, although I have nothing to really base that on. I have no idea if it's moving the water appropriately is what I mean. I don't think I'll really know until I get some corals in there...  I do have a current loop powerhead that came with my Orbit IC, so if I need I can add that one to supplement. 

But yeah, those Tunze are nice.

Update: Day 9

Well I am now convinced that my plan to cycle with "Dr Tim's One and Only" will not fall into the best-case-scenario bracket. More than likely I am looking at a standard fishless cycle of 4 or more weeks. My reasoning being my tests show a fall in ammonia of ~.1ppm over the last 9 days. According to the process as posted here http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling, I am nowhere near this level of growth. So I'm assuming at this point that my bottle of Dr Tim's was faulty. No worries, time is free!

I do have some Seachem Matrix arriving today. I will add that this evening, since I did read in the above link that not currently having substrate may be the cause for the underwhelming experience I'm having. I have some Stability from my Cichlid collection of additives... Mayhaps I'll try that after adding the Matrix. 

Then again.... Time is free. 

Ok... Today is day 12, so we're creeping up on the two week mark. I know I need to be patient... but oh how hard it is. :unsure: So I'm here to confess my impatience in the form of rambling wonderings in the hopes that someone will slap me back to reality, stopping me from meddling if I shouldn't be! 

So at this point I feel (don't we all with these situations?) I feel that I should be further along in this cycle than I am. I'm positive I've seen better results during my freshwater cycles... But it just may be the reef bug. So I've been doing what I enjoy and I've been reading and site hopping, surfing the waves of the internet hoping to find some justification for the unease I feel. I've read about hardness, low pH, initial ammonia overdose, temperature, tank "sterility", and countless other bits of advice and or experiences. And I'm close, so close, to giving in to the temptation to "meddle" in the affairs of my little bacteria buddies that I thought I should ask the opinion of others before I go and muck up the whole thing! :naughtydance:

Here are my results at 12 days. To my eye, I have:

pH      8.3

NH3   3.0-4.0

NO2   .25 (maybe???)

NO3   NADA.... 

I know API is NOT (edited that!) the greatest test kit in the world... But unless my eyes are playing tricks on me these colors have not really changed much over the last (almost) 2 weeks... Did I overdose my initial ammonia? Am I somehow stalled? I have dosed a full bottle of Dr Tim's on day 1, and days 7-12 I have dosed 1 capful of Stability and still here we are. 

Someone talk some sense into me. :lol:

20170829_190314.jpg

Edited by JcSH2o
I know API isn't ideal... ?
gone_PHiSHin

i am currently dealing with the same thing with my quarantine tank.  the ammonia just won't go down.  i used a bottle of one and only as well as the ammonium chloride for the QT but the ammonia seems to remain stagnant.  

i had GREAT results with Dr. Tims on my display tank but i think the major difference was sand/rock.   the bacteria growth/processing of ammonia was just like how the directions indicated.   the cycle was done in 10 days if i recall.  

you at least have rock in your tank but no sand, correct?  sorry i haven't been keeping up and just jumped in to the last post...

be patient!!

edit:

i also wanted to add, it's hard to tell from a pic but the ammonia seems a little too high.  and honestly i think i overdosed my ammonia on my initial dose too, which could have stalled mine.

i just added two bags of ceramic rings to my QT in hopes that the added surface area gets things going.

you can do a water change to get the ammonia down a bit and then i'd just let things be for a few days and observe/test.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, JcSH2o said:

Ok... Today is day 12, so we're creeping up on the two week mark. I know I need to be patient... but oh how hard it is. :unsure: So I'm here to confess my impatience in the form of rambling wonderings in the hopes that someone will slap me back to reality, stopping me from meddling if I shouldn't be! 

So at this point I feel (don't we all with these situations?) I feel that I should be further along in this cycle than I am. I'm positive I've seen better results during my freshwater cycles... But it just may be the reef bug. So I've been doing what I enjoy and I've been reading and site hopping, surfing the waves of the internet hoping to find some justification for the unease I feel. I've read about hardness, low pH, initial ammonia overdose, temperature, tank "sterility", and countless other bits of advice and or experiences. And I'm close, so close, to giving in to the temptation to "meddle" in the affairs of my little bacteria buddies that I thought I should ask the opinion of others before I go and muck up the whole thing! :naughtydance:

Here are my results at 12 days. To my eye, I have:

pH      8.3

NH3   3.0-4.0

NO2   .25 (maybe???)

NO3   NADA.... 

I know API is NOT (edited that!) the greatest test kit in the world... But unless my eyes are playing tricks on me these colors have not really changed much over the last (almost) 2 weeks... Did I overdose my initial ammonia? Am I somehow stalled? I have dosed a full bottle of Dr Tim's on day 1, and days 7-12 I have dosed 1 capful of Stability and still here we are. 

Someone talk some sense into me. :lol:

20170829_190314.jpg

A watched tank never cycles.  

Leave it alone and let it cook. ;)

• Like 1

Slap received! Input has been successful... And sense has returned. I feel much better.

I shall do nothing but decrease my testing and slow my worry. Back to being patient, and confident I'm doing the right thing. 

Sloooooowly is that bad, right? 

2 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i am currently dealing with the same thing with my quarantine tank.  the ammonia just won't go down.  i used a bottle of one and only as well as the ammonium chloride for the QT but the ammonia seems to remain stagnant.  

i had GREAT results with Dr. Tims on my display tank but i think the major difference was sand/rock.   the bacteria growth/processing of ammonia was just like how the directions indicated.   the cycle was done in 10 days if i recall.  

you at least have rock in your tank but no sand, correct?  sorry i haven't been keeping up and just jumped in to the last post...

be patient!!

I agree! I think in part the lack of sand has at least a little to do with it. Mayhaps even more in a QT tank?

I think in fact we may both be guilty of a bit of impatience... I'm sure all will be as it should in a few more weeks. ?

2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Leave it alone and let it cook. ;)

Thanks for this! I'll make a screen saver of it. Hahaha :D

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, JcSH2o said:

Slap received! Input has been successful... And sense has returned. I feel much better.

I shall do nothing but decrease my testing and slow my worry. Back to being patient, and confident I'm doing the right thing. 

Sloooooowly is that bad, right? 

I agree! I think in part the lack of sand has at least a little to do with it. Mayhaps even more in a QT tank?

I think in fact we may both be guilty of a bit of impatience... I'm sure all will be as it should in a few more weeks. ?

Thanks for this! I'll make a screen saver of it. Hahaha :D

:lol:

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd post a quick update of my current situation... 

I believe my cycle has completed... although believing doesn't make it so. As far as my 24 hour testing goes; when I bring my ammonia up to 1ppm I drop almost to zero within 24 hours. I say almost because my tests always appear to be at or around .25 ? 

Thinkingit was initially my bare bottom tank I decided to go ahead and turn on my light cycle. I've waited for 2 weeks, all the while bringing my ammonia up to 1ppm about twice a week and allowing it to fall until it stops. I was expecting diatom blooms and the beginning of the ugly phase.... But nothing is happening. 

Thinking maybe my bare bottom had something to do with it, I added my sand bed yesterday. I'm pleased with the look! But already thinking maybe too much sand? When adding my sand I did change all of the water in the display, roughly10 gallons, after which testing my ammonia again and achieving an actual 0 reading. Perhaps my super clean Pukani is the reason??

I'm certain adding any cleanup crew would be cruel since there is literally nothing to clean up. All of my tests results are nice and stable, save for my ammonia showing something and never nothing. Wanting to test that again I did raise my ammonia again to 1ppm today. 

Any thoughts or suggestions again are appreciated. :rolleyes:

20171021_110035.jpg

• Like 4

I received my Red Sea Ammonia test kit today and of course within 20 minutes of it's reception I had the results I was hoping for. A very obvious zero, and not some shade of "maybe zero or maybe .5" I'm stoked. omgomgomg

My nitrite/ate kit arrives on Sunday. Following those (hopefully as conclusive) tests I will then be sure of myself as I consider my different options for first visible life creatures that will call my Lil Laguna home. 

Which poses my next question... Aside from the standard grouping of CUC snails, I'm currently thinking of adding 3 or 4 fish, 1 skunk shrimp and 1 porcelain crab. And maybe 1 hermit with my CUC crew. The fish I'm considering currently are the green clown goby, with either a firefish or a yellow jawfish or a royal gramma, and perhaps a pair begai Cardinals or Ocilaris clowns. These are my long term stocking ideas so I'm curious if anyone sees any issue with this or if anyone thinks I should not add any one of these fish to my tank, or what to add first.

Cheers all. 

9 hours ago, Clown79 said:

4 fish in a 12g is quite the bioload. 

Jawfish need a deeper sandbed.

Exactly what I needed to know! Thank you. So I remove the jawfish from my list of potentials... Are a pair of bengai Cardinals too much? I read they grow to 3".... 

Update: Believing my tank to be too "clean" to add a CUC, and not wanting to add inverts or fish before a CUC was in place to clean the food waste and inevitable diatom bloom that's sure to follow a sudden influx of nutrients; I decided to take some time and experiment. I had a base test of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and ~2 nitrate. I dosed ammonia to around 1ppm and allowed my BB to consume it for 24 hours. After testing nitrate again I see it at ~4. One full light cycle later I know see a few patches of brown scattered amongst the sand and rock. I'm now planning on doing a large water change this coming weekend and adding my CUC next week. It will consist of:

10 Dwarf Ceriths
3 Nassarius vibex
4 Florida Ceriths
4 Nerites

As per Reefcleaner.com suggestions based on my tank stocking plans. As soon as they are in tank I will add a Skunk shrimp and hopefully a pom pom crab if I can find one. Should be an exciting week coming!

Cheers!

Update: Reefcleaners delivered. After unboxing I floated the bags for about an hour as I built my screen top. As I released them I was happy to see the Nerites make a "run" for the rocks and back wall. omgomgomg The majority of the dwarf ceriths (pretty sure I got about 15, not 10) started to dig down in the sand, and honestly I have no idea where the Vibex went. I placed them all front and center to more easily monitor those that did not make the trip....

The next day many of the dwarf ceriths have dispersed. A few are still where I dropped them. 3 of the Florida ceriths have also not moved. Not sure how to tell if they're alive... :scarry:

I placed an order with LiveAquaria last night. 2 inverts and 2 coral (my first! EVER) So my plan today is to double and triple check every parameter after a water change and make sure things are as best as I know how. I also think I will create a new post as a tank diary... Cheers to everyone who helped me get this started! 

• Like 1

give them some time sometimes they don't move until they are hungry and wana eat..

ill go to bed and wake up and my snail in same spot leave to work and when I get back still there I get scared then finally he starts to move around

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, Biglex said:

give them some time sometimes they don't move until they are hungry and wana eat..

ill go to bed and wake up and my snail in same spot leave to work and when I get back still there I get scared then finally he starts to move around

Thanks! ?

1 hour ago, TatorTaco said:

Will you link your tank build when it's created?  I just found this thread and I'd like to tag along as this grows. 

Yes I will do that! I'll link both ends for sure. Thank you

On 10/21/2017 at 6:44 PM, JcSH2o said:

I thought I'd post a quick update of my current situation... 

I believe my cycle has completed... although believing doesn't make it so. As far as my 24 hour testing goes; when I bring my ammonia up to 1ppm I drop almost to zero within 24 hours. I say almost because my tests always appear to be at or around .25 ? 

Thinkingit was initially my bare bottom tank I decided to go ahead and turn on my light cycle. I've waited for 2 weeks, all the while bringing my ammonia up to 1ppm about twice a week and allowing it to fall until it stops. I was expecting diatom blooms and the beginning of the ugly phase.... But nothing is happening. 

Thinking maybe my bare bottom had something to do with it, I added my sand bed yesterday. I'm pleased with the look! But already thinking maybe too much sand? When adding my sand I did change all of the water in the display, roughly10 gallons, after which testing my ammonia again and achieving an actual 0 reading. Perhaps my super clean Pukani is the reason??

I'm certain adding any cleanup crew would be cruel since there is literally nothing to clean up. All of my tests results are nice and stable, save for my ammonia showing something and never nothing. Wanting to test that again I did raise my ammonia again to 1ppm today. 

Any thoughts or suggestions again are appreciated. :rolleyes:

20171021_110035.jpg

I haven't always had noticeable diatoms in new tanks.

8 hours ago, JcSH2o said:

Update: Reefcleaners delivered. After unboxing I floated the bags for about an hour as I built my screen top. As I released them I was happy to see the Nerites make a "run" for the rocks and back wall. omgomgomg The majority of the dwarf ceriths (pretty sure I got about 15, not 10) started to dig down in the sand, and honestly I have no idea where the Vibex went. I placed them all front and center to more easily monitor those that did not make the trip....

The next day many of the dwarf ceriths have dispersed. A few are still where I dropped them. 3 of the Florida ceriths have also not moved. Not sure how to tell if they're alive... :scarry:

I placed an order with LiveAquaria last night. 2 inverts and 2 coral (my first! EVER) So my plan today is to double and triple check every parameter after a water change and make sure things are as best as I know how. I also think I will create a new post as a tank diary... Cheers to everyone who helped me get this started! 

John at Reef Cleaners is famous for not knowing how to count. :lol:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

I haven't always had noticeable diatoms in new tanks.

John at Reef Cleaners is famous for not knowing how to count. :lol:

Thank @Lula_Mae, my rock has developed a light tan color... Although the sand is already white again. I think I was mostly concerned that my CUC would have enough to eat! I don't want any creatures starving! Lol

And yes, John did a great job I believe. He was quick to offer his suggestions to me based on my needs and tank plans, and he hooked it up extra. I'd definitely recommend them to anyone. ?

• Like 1

Quick Update: My LiveAquaria shipment arrived today. Unfortunately my Skunk Shrimp was very much DOA. :( 

On the positive side my PomPom was very alive and "grinning" at me through the bag. I've drip acclimated him for about 2 hours and he is now in the tank. I dipped my 2 corals and added them also. Once they open I'll shoot some pics and share what I got. 

Cheers all! Enjoy the day!

• Like 1
flatlandreefer
39 minutes ago, JcSH2o said:

Quick Update: My LiveAquaria shipment arrived today. Unfortunately my Skunk Shrimp was very much DOA. :( 

On the positive side my PomPom was very alive and "grinning" at me through the bag. I've drip acclimated him for about 2 hours and he is now in the tank. I dipped my 2 corals and added them also. Once they open I'll shoot some pics and share what I got. 

Sorry about the shrimp but I'm glad your pom pom survived, I have always wanted one for my tank!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JcSH2o said:

Glad yours was grinning, mine are usually glaring. :lol:

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, flatlandreefer said:

Sorry about the shrimp but I'm glad your pom pom survived, I have always wanted one for my tank!

Pom Pom is doing well, he's actually out exploring and waving his little anemones at the snails.... :happy:

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Glad yours was grinning, mine are usually glaring. :lol:

Lol they always look like they have this little grin. So far so good.... I've been working on this tank for about 8 most so I'm ecstatic to finally having life in it... Here's a sneak peak at my first 2 corals ever. They're just starting to open up so I think that's a good sign! 

Anyone care to guess!? Hahaha omgomgomg

received_1544924848927796.jpeg

received_1544924795594468.jpeg

4 hours ago, flatlandreefer said:

3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

20171110_172203.jpg

Well hopefully that snail was DOA... As the crab seems to have begun to eat him. :scarry:

• Like 2
On 11/10/2017 at 5:15 PM, JcSH2o said:

Pom Pom is doing well, he's actually out exploring and waving his little anemones at the snails.... :happy:

So did he come with his little anemones?