Cultivated Reef

40B Build starting on low budget

Hdale85

So after a few days of them being in there now, checking the nitrites and nitrates they re coming up pretty much 0. I haven't done a waterchange still but I think I'm going to do one this week. I need to check the PH and Alkalinity as I imagine the PH might be getting a bit low without the water change but I'm not really sure lol. 

Ph fluctuates throughout the day. It's effected by photosynthesis.

Alk would most likely be a cause for concern.

Normally we do a waterchanges when the cycle is done and then add livestock. 

Now that you have livestock, weekly waterchanges can be started

Most ppl do a larger waterchange after a cycle is complete  to reduce nutrient levels.

Normal weekly waterchange is 15-20% so about 5-6g should do

So I'm about to work on the screen top, should I try and form it around the stuff in the back for the tank, or just go straight across the thing that hangs out the furthest which would be the HOB filter? I did buy extra corners but it seems like it'd be hard to stretch the screen properly if I did an odd shape and I'm not sure the fish could really aim for the back edge that easily anyways. 

Well I tried to do that, but the inside corners they don't make corner pieces for and I couldn't find any connectors for 45 cuts to hold htem togehter so I just went straight across the back. I got it as close to the filter as possible, so there's really only an inch or so open across the back where the filter and wires come through. I don't think it'll be a problem and eventually I'm going to order one of those acrylic ones. 

So I finally got a Flipper nano and have started really cleaning the inside of the tank today. I did clean the front glass yesterday when I got it and WOW what a difference that made. The tank looked super clear the water was crystal clear, the fish were brighter. Definitely made me appreciate my aquarium more. Today I'm doing a water change and figured I'd wipe down the pumps, heater, filter parts that are in the water, and the glass before taking the water out. I purchased a couple more buckets to make water changes easier as well, also got a fine fish net for scooping hairs and stuff out of the water as I see them. I'm not sure if other people have issues with hair getting the water or if it's just me but I see a couple floating around all the time and it drives me nuts lol. 

So I've been waiting to do a water change for a bunch of new filters to come in. I got 2 new carbon blocks, and a new RO membrane as I was getting ~30tds off my old membrane. This time I got a good quality DOW membrane and am getting around 6PPM after it runs a couple minutes. I wasted a good bit of the life of my DI Resin from my old membrane not working properly but that's ok. So I moved my entire filter system to a wall and plumbed everything in. 

Also finally got the light hung from the ceiling! That sure improved things although funny enough now I can really see the disco ball effect people talked about.....if it bothers me I may try a light diffuser or something, but right now I'm not that worried. 

Currently waiting for the bucket to fill up and get to temp before I drain out the dirty water. I need to get a turkey baster too, forgot about that. This weekend I'm picking up a bunch of snails and MAYBE another fish.....but not sure on that one. I'm trying to take it slow on adding stuff. I'm going to wait at least another 3-5 weeks before I add any Coral I think. I just want to the tank to be well cycled and get used to the maintenance involved and such. I sure do love watching these clowns for the time being though. 

Here's a pic after hanging the light making the cover and cleaning the front glass. I'm not sure why my phone makes it look kind of red but my white channel is on like 10% and blue is on like 15%.

IMG_20170702_161002_zps62i3vois.jpg

• Like 1

I got 3 mexican turbo snails, cause they just looked awesome with their huge foot on the glass lol. I got 5 of the spiral shell ones that bury themselves although it seems like one is DOA or something.... then I got 5 that have sort of a round shell but I think they mostly climb on top of stuff. I can't remember the names lol. They had frags for crazy cheap like only $5 bucks. Their most expensive frags were only like $25, but I got a couple $5 frags that the guy recommended for a newer tank, 2 are zoanthids and one I can't remember the name, has these like green star shapped polyps that come out? They are acclimating now but I doubt they'll really come out right now anyways. I figured for $5 bucks I'll give them a go. 

There were some really amazing looking bubble tip corals at the reef show that I wanted but they were ~100 bucks and I was just like "nope not risking that". We've decided we'll go to RAP again next year with more money and a more mature tank and be better prepared. 

31 minutes ago, Hdale85 said:

I got 3 mexican turbo snails, cause they just looked awesome with their huge foot on the glass lol. I got 5 of the spiral shell ones that bury themselves although it seems like one is DOA or something.... then I got 5 that have sort of a round shell but I think they mostly climb on top of stuff. I can't remember the names lol. They had frags for crazy cheap like only $5 bucks. Their most expensive frags were only like $25, but I got a couple $5 frags that the guy recommended for a newer tank, 2 are zoanthids and one I can't remember the name, has these like green star shapped polyps that come out? They are acclimating now but I doubt they'll really come out right now anyways. I figured for $5 bucks I'll give them a go. 

There were some really amazing looking bubble tip corals at the reef show that I wanted but they were ~100 bucks and I was just like "nope not risking that". We've decided we'll go to RAP again next year with more money and a more mature tank and be better prepared. 

Green star shaped polyps?  On a purple mat?  Sounds like...green star polyps! :lol: Also known as GSP.

Well the Zoa's opened up pretty good before the light was turned off for the night. So that's good I think. Hopefully the GSP comes out tomorrow :) But I imagine there could be an amount of time for adjusting that they can go through. 

• Like 1

Well the GSP is poking out today, although I think the flow might be a bit high? Might need to move it somewhere else. I'm not sure what's too much, the polyps are blowing to one side mostly from the flow. I have my 2 SW-4's at about 50% on a wave program. 

IMG_20170704_090249_zpsxchmvgxx.jpg

Phone pics look nice!  Not sure about flow for GSP, most of mine is in med-lower flow areas and seems happy, I don't have a lot of high flow areas in the tank at all.  Your frags look really nice though!

So did some tests after the water change, PH seems to be around 8.0 and Alkalinity about 3.5meq? I did feed today not sure if that effects it. I just finished topping off the tank from my water change. Salinity is right at 1.026.

• Like 1

Hmm well all of a sudden today I've got diatoms popping up all over. I guess since my lights are now on all day they are just now blooming?

Also one or 2 of the Mexican Turbo Snails keep crawling on top of the GSP. Earlier today I found it flipped down the side of the rock with a snail on the backside, and then just a few minutes ago I found a snail on the top of the GSP. Ever since I found it this morning it really didn't come out, sort of poked out a little but it looked like the polyps may of been damaged or something. Maybe these were not good snails to get. Really kind of upset cause that GSP was looking real good yesterday. 

4 hours ago, Hdale85 said:

Also one or 2 of the Mexican Turbo Snails keep crawling on top of the GSP. Earlier today I found it flipped down the side of the rock with a snail on the backside, and then just a few minutes ago I found a snail on the top of the GSP. Ever since I found it this morning it really didn't come out, sort of poked out a little but it looked like the polyps may of been damaged or something. Maybe these were not good snails to get. Really kind of upset cause that GSP was looking real good yesterday. 

Is the GSP glued down?  Is there detritus or algae on the mat?  Sometimes snails are like little bulldozers, knocking anything over that isn't glued down.  Turbos can be especially bad about this as they are so big.  You can use your fingers to gently clean gunk off the mat.  Give it a day or two to come back out, it's likely just mad about being knocked down and run over!

They aren't glued yet as I was testing where they'd be happy and such. Also I need to research on attaching coral, also was going to make sure they survive lol. 

1 hour ago, Hdale85 said:

All this brown is kind of freaking me out......

IMG_20170706_183846_045_zpsp20oqdwz.jpgIMG_20170706_183828_523_zpsf9sczsll.jpgIMG_20170706_183805_496_zpsjpqn8tou.jpg

Diatoms are a very normal stage in the beginning of a tank's life, they go away on their own after a short period of time.