Top Shelf Aquatics

Goby picture thread~!

rock12

danielmiller82
Originally posted by rock12

any colorful fish? Wanna catch me some?!lol! My lfs is way over priced!

Sergeant Major damsels... hundreds of them. they are really pretty! If I could make it out into deeper water(10-15' deep) we got blue damsels, Butterfly fish, I've ever heard of people catching Surgeon Fish out here My goal last time was to catch some peppermint shrimp, but the water was really way too choppy...and I started to see jellies around as I went deeper out. One of these days I will go out again and catch a few more.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey dan what jetties i'm headed down your way in a few weeks i'm love to see what i can't drag up with a net. i loved throwing my cast nets when i ved on the coast. never tried using a brim net though. that might be cool to.

Not sure if any goby and shrimp will pair up b/c the high fin banded goby I posted falls under the specific group of gobies called "shrimp gobies" which usually pair up w/ its symbiotic pistol shrimp (both in nature and usually in the home aquarium). The shrimp is rather blind and prefers the aid of the shrimp gobies. The red and white one Brahm has is also one of those shrimp gobies.

My LFS sold the tiger pistol shrimp and the hi fin goby together and in one bag. I released the shrimp first and he basically didn't run for cover, but just hovered around the bag to stick to the goby. Once I released the goby, he followed him everywhere he went.

Once my clown tried to go for the pistol shrimp, and the little goby effectively deterred him from doing so w/ his flaring mouth.

But if you meant any shrimp goby and pistol shrimp...my bad for the length response. haha.

Originally posted by rock12

brahm~your pictures are killer! How much(if you don't mind me asking) were those second goby's? I was going to get  some, but i saw they were like $40 at my lfs! Is that how much they run?

rwillie3~ cute picture!

I bought those guys a while ago before the price dropped i think it was like 70 a piece, I was selling them for a bit for 30 each, but haven't been able to get anymore.

does your pistol go after your snails or kill anything>?

To the best of my knowedge, my type of pistol shrimp stays small and doesnt bother anything. My LFS said that pistols in general are harmless and only issue he could think of is if I had a "meaner" shrimp who could bully on him. But all I have is a cleaner skunk shrimp and 6 scarlet hermits so everything is cool.

And every now and then you can hear pistol shrimps making a loud clicking sound w/ their pinchers. I can hear it pretty clearly while I'm sitting in the living room.

I can't speak for pistol shrimps generally however cuz I don't have personal experience w/ them, but I will go out on a limb and say that most pistol shrimps are harmless/benign critters so you shouldn't have any probs with them.

liveaquaria.com actually has a decent section on "Shrimp Gobies" under the fish and broader "Gobies" section showing the different kinds of shrimp gobies and descriptions. They also have pictures and descriptions of a couple pistol shrimps too under their invert's shrimp section.

I do like the Yashia red and white shrimp gobies, but they tend to be pricey. My hi fin was like $19.

i guys,

i have soem question regarding goby and coral

i just get my small yellow goby for 4 days. since i put he ( i think X) ) in my tank, he always playing around and stay in one of my coral (picture below).

Then it make my coral not bloom again / flowering again. i think because the coral are sensitif to touch.

is this will stressing my coral ?

attachment.php?postid=315445

thank you :P

otedd:

Clown gobies, while adorable little fish, are agressive nesters. They are quite reknown for beging able to kill acropora colonies many times their size.

I've been lucky with mine, so far... he seems to prefer hanging in the branches of my trumpet and torch corals.

Everyone has some nice gobies. Keep the pictures coming.

But i have a question about clown gobies. I searched and most of them say they can destroy SPS colonies. I don't have SPS but i do have LPS corals. Can they harm them?

i don't think they can! I just read that they distroy them by laying there eggs on it, and they only do that w/ SPS, but thats what i heard, so i'd check with somone else before you take my word on it for sure!

rock: I hadn't heard that about the eggs before. I had always assumed it was just from the constant contact. But my goby pretty much leaves my SPS alone, so I don't have any anecdotal evidence of my own.

crizq0: As for LPS, my goby constantly darts in an out of, and plays around in, my branchy LPS (torch and trumpet corals), as well as ricorda mushrooms. None seem the least bit bothered. Of course, the branches of those LPS aren't fleshy, which could have something to do with that.

I have a yellow watchman goby and do not cover my tank. The goby won't go even half way up the tank, always stays at the bottom in his cave, so i'm not worried a bit.

rock, if i was you i would avoid all the larger ones for now. stick to the smaller ones (the green stripe is a great choice but they tend, like many gobies, to hide). this is because you can add many more small gobies to your tank than large ones. and they have a tendency to get along better. just be careful, many gobies require an established tank (many signals and the rainfords) or wont survive without being in pairs. fish stores are famous for lying about these issues.

an impulse fish buy is a common mistake. caution, research, and patience are key

nalbar

Archived