Pod Your Reef

StinkyBunny
On 7/22/2017 at 2:41 PM, WV Reefer said:

That would be awesome.... We caught crawdads outta the creek. 

20 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Really?  That's pretty cool!  I'm an NC native but never caught hermits before lol

Yep, I've caught hermits, Sergeant Majors, French angels, Queen angels, Grey angels, Blue angels, Beau Gregorys and tiny Spadefish. I was always in the water when I was a kid. We have a stream that runs through the back of the property, I lived in it during the summer. If there was a place where something might live, I was in it. I remember we were deer hunting on the Eastern Shore of Md and I found a little Snapping turtle frozen in the ice. I brought him home and released him the next spring. He was a tiny little fella, maybe 2" if that.

We need to do a trip to the coast at some time, late August is the best time for collecting and I know the places to go around the Oregon Inlet. If you do go there, PLEASE PLEASE be careful it's one of the most dangerous places I've ever collected. There are deadly currents, drop offs and sharks frequent the area regularly. Bull sharks pup in the sound of the Outer Banks. I've seen them in 3' of water. The south end of the inlet is particularly dangerous due to drop offs.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

We need to do a trip to the coast at some time, late August is the best time for collecting and I know the places to go around the Oregon Inlet. If you do go there, PLEASE PLEASE be careful it's one of the most dangerous places I've ever collected. There are deadly currents, drop offs and sharks frequent the area regularly. Bull sharks pup in the sound of the Outer Banks. I've seen them in 3' of water. The south end of the inlet is particularly dangerous due to drop offs.

This sounds like "Don't even think about going to my sacred spot! I want all of the goodies for myself! Mwahaha!"

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

This sounds like "Don't even think about going to my sacred spot! I want all of the goodies for myself! Mwahaha!"

I know right?..... it's like the secret garden apparently.  :happy:

• Like 2

Haha he's not kidding about some of those rip currents though...currents around the Outer Banks can be dangerous in the right places/conditions.  Never want to underestimate that!

• Like 3
mitten_reef
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

They are my favorite zoa. 

I like Rastas, mine just never wanna form a nice tight mat like in your pic. On my rock, the new polyp just keeps "walking away" from the one before it. :angry:

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

I like Rastas, mine just never wanna form a nice tight mat like in your pic. On my rock, the new polyp just keeps "walking away" from the one before it. :angry:

I just hope these live. In the beginning they always died on me but I've had some kedds reds for awhile so I decided to give the rastas a try.  

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I just hope these live. In the beginning they always died on me but I've had some kedds reds for awhile so I decided to give the rastas a try.  

I've had hit or miss with Rastas. One of my favs too! 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, TinyOcean said:

Bahaha that hermit is awesome! If you get sick of his antics send him my way. I need a feisty CUC to keep with Norbert.

He's a little sh*t but I couldn't let him go. :D  

Hermits are great because they are always into something, but that is also what makes them a**holes.  

• Like 2
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

He's a little sh*t but I couldn't let him go. :D  

Hermits are great because they are always into something, but that is also what makes them a**holes.  

Lol! I need to find me a huge a**hole then! 

• Like 2
On July 23, 2017 at 10:58 PM, WV Reefer said:

Those rastas are pretty. I have lots of Zoas in my tank, but when I put some rastas in the didn't make it for some reason.:( That mushroom is gorgeous! Might have to look into getting  a couple of those if I ever figure out what to do with my BTA.

7 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Those rastas are pretty. I have lots of Zoas in my tank, but when I put some rastas in the didn't make it for some reason.:( That mushroom is gorgeous! Might have to look into getting  a couple of those if I ever figure out what to do with my BTA.

Thanks. :)  I hope they make it. 

What's the BTA up to?

5 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Thanks. :)  I hope they make it. 

What's the BTA up to?

BTA is just too big for the tank and taking up valuable real estate. probate about 6 inches or so across, and able to extend tentacle even farther.

21 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

BTA is just too big for the tank and taking up valuable real estate. probate about 6 inches or so across, and able to extend tentacle even farther.

Did it go stingy? My GBTA dit the same years ago now it's the size of a volley ball. Pretty much the only thing I can keep in my 34......stupid nem :lol:

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Sancho said:

Did it go stingy? My GBTA dit the same years ago now it's the size of a volley ball. Pretty much the only thing I can keep in my 34......stupid nem :lol:

Yeah. Pretty much all but killed a $100 brain and some trumpets. Had to move my acans to the very front of the glass. Moved the brain to another tank and trying to nurse it back to health. Considering getting another tank just for the Nem. Do I really want another tank NO! But damn the Nem is so pretty

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Yeah. Pretty much all but killed a $100 brain and some trumpets. Had to move my acans to the very front of the glass. Moved the brain to another tank and trying to nurse it back to health. Considering getting another tank just for the Nem. Do I really want another tank NO! But damn the Nem is so pretty

I'm glad you shared because I really want one for my big tank when it's ready but I just don't think I want the hassle.  I've seen it go wrong too many times. 

12 minutes ago, Sk8n Reefer said:

Little bit of everything in your book collection ?

I read everything!  Those are the "big books" that I use to hide my aquarium wires and such. ;)  

• Like 2
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 12 Gallon Long and Dirty: Home of The Worm