Cultivated Reef

Rain's Reef Tanquito: New additions! New pics! :D

Rain24

Weetabix7
5 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

So, I think it was yesterday or the day before that I realized there is yet another thing growing on Experiment One's little island of rubble. A green polyp has appeared next to the fan worm/feather duster. Wonders never cease with that green blasto. Can't identify it yet. Stay tuned.

I've also noticed something weird/interesting with my corynactis - little ones keep budding and then disappearing from bits of tissue left on the rock where the old one used to be. I found a much bigger corynactis in the back of the jar. I wonder if it moved or if I just never noticed this one before. Went to a talk at the beach and learned that some anemones do propagate from their base (pedal something or the other type of propagation).

Wow, cool on the new green mystery stranger!!!

Yeah, some anemones do propagate that way. 

The ones I had didn't seem to, but that doesn't mean that you don't have a different type that do. 

Now see, with all this positive growth happening, doesn't it look like you've got a Healthy Pico going, HMMM???

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Wow, cool on the new green mystery stranger!!!

Yeah, some anemones do propagate that way. 

The ones I had didn't seem to, but that doesn't mean that you don't have a different type that do. 

Now see, with all this positive growth happening, doesn't it look like you've got a Healthy Pico going, HMMM???

Mr. Experiment One also seems to have one bubble of bubble algae. LOL. I need to take care of that again.

I do hope the pico is healthy. I feel like I'll believe it when the red blasto gets a new head, although that one seems to be getting fatter. My pocillopora is also worrying me. It has all these  shaggy polyps, but I don't think there's really color on its flesh. Does that mean there's too much light? Too little? It's just sort of a blah, fleshy color and the green tips on the polyps aren't very bright anymore.

• Like 2
On 4/30/2017 at 9:33 PM, Rain24 said:

Well, they had more polyps before. But after that time I kept it out of the water for about 20 to 30 minutes (those tips are super thin right now), I had some polyp loss at the top.

I'm also sort of not getting polyps opening at the bottom. Flesh hasn't peeled, but the polyps are staying closed. Does that just happen when it realized that it's the new "base" now? :)

SPS is a mystery to me lol.  I say if it hasn't started peeling yet, you are ok.  Unless it's a slow process.  It's always been fast for me...like within hours.

3 hours ago, gena said:

SPS is a mystery to me lol.  I say if it hasn't started peeling yet, you are ok.  Unless it's a slow process.  It's always been fast for me...like within hours.

Base still has closed polyps but the rest are all out and happy enough. I really have to maybe frag some more of the base and just glue this guy down. I'm just afraid of how to cleanly break the fatter part of the frag. I also have a fear of commitment. Only the pocillopora is glued down and here I'm afraid it's in the wrong spot. It's in a high light, okay-ish flow area. Need to look up it's care requirements again.

• Like 4
natalia_la_loca

If polyps are out, it's probably fine. I wouldn't use blasto growth as an indicator of system health, mine has grown really slowly compared to other corals e.g. acans.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

If polyps are out, it's probably fine. I wouldn't use blasto growth as an indicator of system health, mine has grown really slowly compared to other corals e.g. acans.

Thanks, natalia. I'll try not to worry about it too much at this point. I'm just doing my thing...feeding, changing water, vacuuming the sand. :)

• Like 5
On 5/2/2017 at 8:36 PM, Rain24 said:

Base still has closed polyps but the rest are all out and happy enough. I really have to maybe frag some more of the base and just glue this guy down. I'm just afraid of how to cleanly break the fatter part of the frag. I also have a fear of commitment. Only the pocillopora is glued down and here I'm afraid it's in the wrong spot. It's in a high light, okay-ish flow area. Need to look up it's care requirements again.

Get some coral cutters.  Marine Depot sells them, that's where I got mine. But all the reef retailers seem to carry them.  They work great.  Definitely a necessary tool for this hobby, IMO :).  That and scissors for the softies.

• Like 1

Tank Journal Entry

Tanquito is almost 2 months old!

May 6, 2017 -  It was a nice day yesterday so we went for a walk at a botanical garden. Of course it was really close to a LFS, so I felt the need to pick up a couple of frags for the jar's almost-two-month celebration. I found an acan that I liked and a zoa that my husband picked out.

The new acans:
Acan_2017-05-07.jpg.5bbe5f9364ef8c1a9f44c99509f2f2e4.jpg

Does anyone recognize these zoas? Dark skirts, peach centers that look like hearts in a latte! :wub:
It also has a fourth polyp that won't open. It looks like it shrank since yesterday. Should I worry?
Zoa_LatteLove_2017-05-07.jpg.44d65bd83df92d65e9d9c95889b5ddfa.jpg

Progress pic on my rescue red and blue blasto.
It's definitely bigger but is sort of losing color so I moved it up higher.
Blasto_Superman_2017-05-07.jpg.4dfee22da111a89983224fc79c78760c.jpg

Tried to get a pic of the mystery polyp, but the blasto is getting good at covering it up.
MysteryPolyp_2017-05-07.jpg.24e9e1400b174a3d94ea1498bc5bd271.jpg

And my current FJS:
FJS_2017-05-07.jpg.3cab621ce1f7ce3ba31796edeeabca8b.jpg

New things I've noticed in the tank - the asterina has been nibbling at the coralline on my astraea snail. Herbert looks awful now, like he has a huge scar on his shell. But I'm sure he's fine. Benjamin the stomatella is still spawning now and again. He has also grown quite a bit.

The pocillopora, bird's nest and red blasto seem to be browning and losing color. I lowered the light a little, hoping to get them to color up a little more. I noticed how brown they looked after I put in the new acan - what a difference. I'm sure the green blasto isn't as bright as before. The tips aren't very blue like they were in the beginning. So, major tank rescape happened.

6 hours ago, gena said:

Get some coral cutters.  Marine Depot sells them, that's where I got mine. But all the reef retailers seem to carry them.  They work great.  Definitely a necessary tool for this hobby, IMO :).  That and scissors for the softies.

Good idea. I think this will go on my list for things to get sooner rather than later. And do you have a glue that you recommend? I've just superglued the one frag that I actually took off the frag plug.

• Like 4
Weetabix7

I just use cyanoacrylate superglue. 

Also, Blastos prefer low light. 

How's your nitrate and phosphate levels?

Purdy!  I noticed tonight my acan that I almost lost is not the color it was when I got it.  Much more brown.  Just started adding the LED bulb again to help things get back to coloring up.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I just use cyanoacrylate superglue. 

Also, Blastos prefer low light. 

How's your nitrate and phosphate levels?

That's what I thought, low light - so they were in the lower part of the tank. One is on the sand. But they're not as bright anymore so I tried higher just in case.

I don't have any test kits anymore and my only way of correcting things are my 100% weekly water changes. :unsure:

Just now, Lula_Mae said:

Purdy!  I noticed tonight my acan that I almost lost is not the color it was when I got it.  Much more brown.  Just started adding the LED bulb again to help things get back to coloring up.

These are under the Tuna Blue 12w LED. In case the blasto isn't supposed to get as much light, I have a piece of paper shading it right now. :lol:

1 minute ago, Rain24 said:

That's what I thought, low light - so they were in the lower part of the tank. One is on the sand. But they're not as bright anymore so I tried higher just in case.

I don't have any test kits anymore and my only way of correcting things are my 100% weekly water changes. :unsure:

These are under the Tuna Blue 12w LED. In case the blasto isn't supposed to get as much light, I have a piece of paper shading it right now. :lol:

Yeah mine have just been under a little compact florescent light, probably 7000k.  Wrong spectrum making them change color I think lol.  I've got clear cross-stitch plastic canvas over the tank to help filter the light a bit lol.

3 hours ago, Rain24 said:

Tank Journal Entry

May 6, 2017 -  It was a nice day yesterday so we went for a walk at a botanical garden. Of course it was really close to a LFS, so I felt the need to pick up a couple of frags for the jar's almost-two-month celebration. I found an acan that I liked and a zoa that my husband picked out.

The new acans:

Does anyone recognize these zoas? Dark skirts, peach centers that look like hearts in a latte! :wub:
It also has a fourth polyp that won't open. It looks like it shrank since yesterday. Should I worry?

Tried to get a pic of the mystery polyp, but the blasto is getting good at covering it up.

And my current FJS:

New things I've noticed in the tank - the asterina has been nibbling at the coralline on my astraea snail. Herbert looks awful now, like he has a huge scar on his shell. But I'm sure he's fine. Benjamin the stomatella is still spawning now and again. He has also grown quite a bit.

The pocillopora, bird's nest and red blasto seem to be browning and losing color. I lowered the light a little, hoping to get them to color up a little more. I noticed how brown they looked after I put in the new acan - what a difference. I'm sure the green blasto isn't as bright as before. The tips aren't very blue like they were in the beginning. So, major tank rescape happened.

Good idea. I think this will go on my list for things to get sooner rather than later. And do you have a glue that you recommend? I've just superglued the one frag that I actually took off the frag plug.

Jar is looking good! I like the new corals! And if you want some cheap bone cutters you can always find some on amazon they still work quite well

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2017 at 5:45 PM, Rain24 said:

Tank Journal Entry

The new acans:

And my current FJS:

any coral glue, or like weetie suggested.  all work the same :).