inTank Media Baskets

The Nursery- 7 babies are in the NICU!

FlowerMama

Yeah, I have room for a sock and was thinking just a hospital drip line for ATO hanging at the top of the stand on the left side. I used to have Tunze in my 60g and 34g and I had many problems with them. I bought a Smart ATO which had a bad sensor so I said forget it and this is the only tank that will have one then.

The Tunze and the smart ATO suck. The best ATO on the market is the Spectrapure unit. Pressure sensor and float backup. Rock solid.

• Like 1

I agree it is a strange overflow. It's scary without an emergency drain. I'm very excited to the the nursery grow some stuff! Maybe I'll jump on it this week and set up a frag system.

I don't see why the drain fitting had to be so big. I'm fine w/ the overflow box not having teeth. I will put a round circular sponge around that drain top like there's one around the skimmer part that sits in the water to prevent microbubbles, to prevent any babies from falling in. I seriously don't think that will be an issue. I've only see a baby stick to the wall once the day they were released and it could only hold on for a little bit before the flow moved it off.

Yeah, a couple people started frag tanks this last week, c'mon join in the fun!!!

The Tunze and the smart ATO suck. The best ATO on the market is the Spectrapure unit. Pressure sensor and float backup. Rock solid.

Unfortunately w/ an emergency room visit and then several weeks later having surgery at the hospital, even though laproscopic, I won't have money for an ATO unit so I gotta go on the cheap side. Even my 40g has no ATO. Thankfully my mom has a key to my place & I've shown her how to add the water to my 40g so if I am out for a vacation she could come add it to my 40g and Gert's tank and this nursery if need be. I took 7 days off for health issues here recently so don't foresee going on any vaca for any time soon.

• Like 1

Negative Ghost Rider, the best is the JBJ ATO. I do agree about those 2 sucking, but I love my JBJ ATOs although they could use a better mounting system. I've been through 2 friggin' Tunze ATO pumps, not very happy about it.

To silence that overflow, you'll need a short length of pipe, a regular 90 degree elbow and a 90 degree street elbow because of the space issues in the overflow.

Negative Ghost Rider, the best is the JBJ ATO. I do agree about those 2 sucking, but I love my JBJ ATOs although they could use a better mounting system. I've been through 2 friggin' Tunze ATO pumps, not very happy about it.

To silence that overflow, you'll need a short length of pipe, a regular 90 degree elbow and a 90 degree street elbow because of the space issues in the overflow.

lol. The JBJ is the cheapest and not even close to accurate. The Spectrapure keeps your level within 1/16th of an inch.

Really clear today so I rubbed my hands across the glass to get the powder off that remains.

My led lantern gave out so I took a lamp from upstairs, took off the shade and set it to the right of the fuge in the stand. I have some small 1" pieces of macro attached to the rock that I want to survive, hopefully then can. But Photobucket is being a butt and is not completing the sending of some pics from my phone to them. Aargh!!!

Well, I'm just gonna hold off for now. I just put in my tax paperwork but I need to give my mom back some money for the condo closing and the laminate flooring I put in. So paying her 1K every year back while they need the money will be a priority and not the ATO right now. I still think I can rig up something using the drip line.

• Like 1

So, I filled the sump to the line last night at 11pm and I measured how many I put back tonight a few mins ago. 7 cups of evaporation!!! Makes sense, large area and a wall waterfall. So, hanging or making a shelf won't work and I'd afraid it would fall. I'd rather place cement blocks on the right side of the stand by the wall and put a gallon on its side, using the the screw top somehow holding the drip line. That's steady drips throughout the day. I'm hoping I can make this dripline Idea work. So 16 cups to a gallon so every 2 days my mom or friend could come out to replace the gallon with another and top off the other 2 tanks. But again, not like I'm going anywhere for a while. But I do think for these babies keeping that as stable as possible will be necessary.

So, I filled the sump to the line last night at 11pm and I measured how many I put back tonight a few mins ago. 7 cups of evaporation!!! Makes sense, large area and a wall waterfall. So, hanging or making a shelf won't work and I'd afraid it would fall. I'd rather place cement blocks on the right side of the stand by the wall and put a gallon on its side, using the the screw top somehow holding the drip line. That's steady drips throughout the day. I'm hoping I can make this dripline Idea work. So 16 cups to a gallon so every 2 days my mom or friend could come out to replace the gallon with another and top off the other 2 tanks. But again, not like I'm going anywhere for a while. But I do think for these babies keeping that as stable as possible will be necessary.

I think you can set some drip system up for now. Keeping salinity really stable wont really come into play after cycling and you start adding livestock. I started building my system. :D

• Like 1

I think you can set some drip system up for now. Keeping salinity really stable wont really come into play after cycling and you start adding livestock. I started building my system. :D

Here are some pics I meant to put up the other day. First, No ammonia yet of course it's only been 48 hrs. Haha. I did add a piece of shrimp to a small piece of nylon stocking in the display to get this going already.

Yeah, light- very temporary until I hang the other.

20170206_221930_zpso72uv0ah.jpg

20170206_181603_zpssqfqkkgc.jpg

20170206_181546_zpspeb1dmq0.jpg

• Like 5

lol. The JBJ is the cheapest and not even close to accurate. The Spectrapure keeps your level within 1/16th of an inch.

Mine stays within 1/8".

Swap the water back and forth to get some bacteria in there.

Shrimp in the corner hanging in a nylon on the light fixture after I already put 10 pellets and a shot glass of substrate from the 40. I just have to be patient.

20170207_192249_zps79gvxa4g.jpg

• Like 1

Ive had the avast marine ato and love it. Hows the flower mama?

Doing alright, healing up. I'm not used to having organs removed. Other than that oddity I'm good!!! Glad to hear from ya! I remember you had to take your tank down & all. You had it upstairs by the railing so I remember????

BattleAthletics

Ouch hope ya feel better, yeah tank and sump has been scraped and cleaned and the equipment on standby. Been getting into woodworking and researching on garage shop designs. Need to find a good place to put the tank at. Gonna be a complicated stand design as normal.

• Like 1

Ouch hope ya feel better, yeah tank and sump has been scraped and cleaned and the equipment on standby. Been getting into woodworking and researching on garage shop designs. Need to find a good place to put the tank at. Gonna be a complicated stand design as normal.

Yeah, am feeling better I just hated going back to work. You now how you know/have known that your job isn't fulfilling but the benefits, pay & people are great and you know anywhere else they'd start you off cheap so you stay??? This area stinks with jobs and then I also wonder is there something else you should be doing, on a larger level to satisfy you and you question though really, how many people are actually doing the thing they've always wanted to do?? How many people actually know what that is? And you know it's a tiny percentage of people for which that happens? Makes me happy to come home to a cocker spaniel and a pretty tank & life moves on.

But I'm so finding out that I'm really impatient waiting for this nursery tank to show me some ammonia already!!! I used to have patience and I can't seem to with this.

• Like 2

I am definitely digging the nursery!

Thanks. It's a little raw in places, not so refined like other people but you know what? it works for me. I'll get the fuge light up tomorrow. But I couldn't be more pleased with it and the deal I got. I've never had such a cool looking tank before!

• Like 1

You and Teeny are making it really hard on the rest of us!

Yeah, well, get with the program! Out tanks both are similar looking too!

but look....!!!!!!! I have ammonia in the NICU!!!!

20170209_175057_zpsrfkttkjx.jpg

And here's a cool pic when the bottom light is on only, the bottom is not black like I'm used to so there's still some light. The tank was dark except for the stand seams so it gave it a cool pic. The back of the stand is open to the wall.

20170208_000308_zpsee8jlivv.jpg

• Like 1

That's ok, we're impatient too :D

About patience...

And now I'm confused.

I had .25 ammonia yesterday for the first time so I bought some Bio Spira, put that in 15 mins ago and decided what the heck, I'll check ammonia again.

ZERO. I was told that the Bio Spira would not show up in readings so it didn't just fix it.

I don't have a nitrite kit.

I checked nitrates.

ZERO.

So now I wonder if I wasted $17 on a 3.38 oz bottle of starter. Could it really be possible it zipped through that fast as I used a shot glass of existing substrate and rocks that were from my 10g? A 24 hr cycle??And I'll have my filter sock soon and then I can later add carbon to it. With only 4 babies going in I'm not going to have lots of waste so it'll be a good while before I probably even need carbon.

My friend here said, no, you've probably cycled. You had waste. It's gone now! I'm going to get through Sat and Sun and if all good Sun night still I'll put in 4 anemones because that's all I have that are not stuck to the rocks. The other 27 are stuck in crevices.

Tank has had water since 6 days ago. Only yesterday registered for ammonia at .25, that's it. Today I have no ammonia, and no nitrates. I've had a transfer and it still take 2 wks to cycle, but nothing this quick.

• Like 2

That was fast!

Don't know how I can trust it, maybe put in another piece and see where I am with it. Take it out like I did with the last piece as soon as I saw ammonia, and see if it can process it.