Top Shelf Aquatics

SeaFurn's Reef Bowl

SeaFurn

You could try treating it like Black Band Disease and use Chemi-Clean or some other product that fights cyanobacteria. Honestly though I would just wait and see how the nubs turn out. I'd imagine that fragging it like you've done would be the best treatment since you already do 100% water changes in the bowl.

• Like 1

So after close inspection during Sunday's water change and out of extreme caution, I ended up fragging another coral just above where its base had whitened.  Here's a picture of it (taller piece) along with the stubs from the initial fragging session.

Looks like it's doing OK after its trim - even being moved down onto the sandbed.

28074145039_834018c932_b.jpg

Another acro that's still glued to the rock (which looks completely unaffected by these protozoans) had PE like I've never seen before last night. What's up with that? 

25980053558_7d2d664e30_b.jpg

I'll probably order some various dips so that I'm prepared.

I also scrubbed the rocks with hydrogen peroxide again. I'll continue to do that at each water change for a couple more weeks. 

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2018 at 2:36 PM, metrokat said:

I may have missed your updates on the bugs. How is everything?

The recent pics on this page look okay.

No sign of bugs at all - none on the remaining two acros mounted on the rocks and none on the frags that are still in the sand. 

Everything seems back to normal....the question is...where did the bugs go????

On a side note - the super blue picture above (with the awesome PE) is supposedly that of a Tyree Pink Lemonade.  it's was super bright pink at the Atlanta Coral expo when I picked it about a year ago.  But as soon as I put it in the bowl - brown as can be.  Well, it's actually starting to look pink!  

• Like 3
  • SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's Reef Bowl

One of your algae issues could be rock related. I think that sometimes there's something inside a dry rock, or even fresh live rock that dies for one reason or another and leaches out nutrients thta cause mysterious algae issues. There are a lot of boring clams that can crap out in there. While it might not be an issue in a larger tank, your small bowl is a different kettle of fish.

• Like 1

Well I may have spoken too soon. 

Took the SPS nubs out for closer inspection during the water change. One of them had little black dots on it's base just above where it had been glued to the plugged. While I can't say for sure it was the same microorganisms, I pitched it to be safe. The SPS on the rocks still looks ok. 

• Sad 3
On 1/15/2018 at 10:21 PM, metrokat said:

I think you should toss it, not worth risking the rest of the corals with whatever this might be. :(

I should have followed your advice to begin with. 

• 5 years later...