Top Shelf Aquatics

Want to start 13.5 gallon fluval evo

Fishy7798

RIP Sebastian

I would like to start one, but I don't know all of the equipment I will need. I want to do a clownfish pair, my budget is 366 dollars. Any help would be great.

Right off the bat, 366 dollars is hardly enough for a decent light, let alone an entire tank. I suggest you wait until you are in a better financial situation.

This hobby is all about research. Look up any and all questions you have. Patience is key, too.. Set achievable goals.

Good luck,

Nick

I just want to do the fluval stock lighting with some beginner corals, I know what fish I want, same for tank, but not corals. I assume that the pump would need to be upgraded.

That is a great deal and if you do some searching around you will find people who run this tank with stock lights and low light corals and they are great looking tanks. That sale price would keep you under budget for the whole set up.

• Like 1

That is a super great deal. I would load up a 50 watt heater and a upgraded return pump or a supplemental powerhead. If that's not $125 yet throw in some odds and ends like magnet cleaner or something. They are offering $50 gift card for $125 purchases which makes it a crazy deal.

Like others said, for fish only and softies, maybe even LPS you can get by with the stock light. You can upgrade later if you want to go SPS.

Obviously you will also need

- a thermometer (Walmart sells an alcohol one for like $1 or $2)

- rocks,

- salt, (I heard someone got a bucket of IO reef crystals for $25 that's a killer deal)

- sand bed (if you want. I'm forgoing this)

- refractometer (don't save the money on this. You can get one for less than $25 on Amazon or eBay)

- test kits (ammonia, nitrate and phosphate will suffice until you do hard corals)

- filter floss,

- carbon,

- purigen (optional),

- seachem prime (for ammonia detox, optional but highly recommended),

- microbacter7 or seachem stability or Dr Tim's one and only nitrifying bacteria (optional but it is said to speed up your cycle

- RO/DI (optional but will save you a lot of headaches later, I use the cheap unit from pure water club for $62 and it tested 0 TDS).

- 5G mixing bucket at your local Walmart or hardware store

- spare heater for your mixing bucket and in case your tank heater fails

- cheap powerhead on eBay for your mixing bucket. I use SunSun

- gravel siphon for water change

- buckets for water change

- IMPORTANT: correctly rated GFCI outlet. You can either replace an existing outlet with a GFCI or buy a plug in one if you don't want to mess with electricity

- power strip, duh

If you have decided to go ahead, you may want to buy some of these items that are on sale until Monday. But be prepared once you are hooked to his hobby you will be spending hundreds and thousands more.

• Like 3

I bought the hydor centrifugal 300 hoping that it will fit. Dr foster says it is 2.75 x 1.5 x 3.25H so it should fit.

What return pump should I use? I'm not sure which one to get, there are so many.

• Like 1

I ordered last night so I can't be sure lol. But like I said the dimensions given by Dr Foster makes it sound like it will fit. The Fluval PS2 skimmer is 3"x3" and it's a snug fit in the first chamber. 2nd and 3rd chambers look like they're of the same dimensions so I don't see why it wouldn't fit.

Right off the bat, 366 dollars is hardly enough for a decent light, let alone an entire tank. I suggest you wait until you are in a better financial situation.

This hobby is all about research. Look up any and all questions you have. Patience is key, too.. Set achievable goals.

Good luck,

Nick

Well this is terrible advice. While my setup ran more than that, the stock EVO 13.5 needs very little additional items. Hell, my light was $75 and is too much for my 20L. I run it at less than 50% power.

Heater, small nano powerhead, some sand, liverock, swing arm hydrometer.

Stock light is plenty strong for softies.

OP - Get those items mentioned above (you can pick up live rock locally) and make sure you spend $125. If you spend $125 you get a $50 gift card, so you might as well.

• Like 4

+1 I just picked up a Fluval Spec 3 for $50 and it's pretty awesome off the bat.

As mentioned $366, besides being an oddly specific budget, won't take you super far in this hobby. But it's a decent place to start.

The EVO looks like a decent tank and the stock light specifications say 16W so it's on the lowish side of "reef capable" IMO... Stick with some of the lower light corals like mushrooms and some polyps and you'll probably be fine. If you get this tank you'll need to start researching corals and fish ;)

Overall I agree with Dandelions list - getting that $50 GC will be a big help later on. For now focus on getting the tank, a heater, salt mix, thermometer, and something to measure salinity/specific gravity with. I have to imagine that with those items you'll be over the mark at Drs F&S. Upgrading the return pump is useful, but maybe save that for your $50 GC item?

Finally - are the inhabitants included in your $366 budget? If so make sure you're leaving some room there as that can easily be the most expensive part on a smaller system depending on your tastes and what's available locally. BRS (bulk reef supply) is also having a sale on dry reef rock - which is a very popular option these days given what many LFS are charging for live rock these days. Live rock is between $6 and $12 per lb in my area so the 10-15 lbs for this size tank would cost me $100 easy. Dry rock takes a bit more time to get started but it's also a lot cheaper. Reefcleaners.org also has a great deal on rock.

• Like 1

What is gc? Sorry for asking so many questions. I am new to saltwater

Hey the 13.5 gallon fluval evo is a great choice and only $85 today at DFS, and you get a $50 gift card if you spent $125! You can definitely get a budget system going on your budget, dont worry about those that want you to buy a $500 light :blink:

Finally - are the inhabitants included in your $366 budget? If so make sure you're leaving some room there as that can easily be the most expensive part on a smaller system depending on your tastes and what's available locally. BRS (bulk reef supply) is also having a sale on dry reef rock - which is a very popular option these days given what many LFS are charging for live rock these days. Live rock is between $6 and $12 per lb in my area so the 10-15 lbs for this size tank would cost me $100 easy. Dry rock takes a bit more time to get started but it's also a lot cheaper. Reefcleaners.org also has a great deal on rock.

Those won't be part of the budget, to explain the budget, I am a 15 year old whose birthday just passed, so I can't make money very easily. I most likely won't even get the tank until around Christmas, so I might get more money by then.

Hey the 13.5 gallon fluval evo is a great choice and only $85 today at DFS, and you get a $50 gift card if you spent $125! You can definitely get a budget system going on your budget, dont worry about those that want you to buy a $500 light :blink:

Whoops, my bad didn't realize you guys meant gift cards

I own a evo 13.5. I am still using the original pump. I do have a nanobox retro but you really don't need a different light. I am keeping anemones and lps, sps, so I needed the light. If you are keeping softies and don't mind manual switching of the light, it will work. You can make a tank as simple or complicated as you want it to be. I also diy'ed a filter for mine. Biggest advice is daily ro water top offs and weekly water changes. Some of the items I would get would be:

Test kits

refractometer would not get a swing arm one. Go on amazon and you can get one less than $50 dollars

auto top off set up, saves on manual top off and very accurate maintaining your salinity

ro water either a lfs you can buy from or make your own

couple of 5 gallon buckets

siphon hose

salt

small heater for tank and for you water changes and a small pump

magnet for cleaning your glass

gfi power strip

Since you have the tank already would you be so kind to tell us the inside dimensions of the three filter chambers? Thank you very much!

I own a evo 13.5. I am still using the original pump. I do have a nanobox retro but you really don't need a different light. I am keeping anemones and lps, sps, so I needed the light. If you are keeping softies and don't mind manual switching of the light, it will work. You can make a tank as simple or complicated as you want it to be. I also diy'ed a filter for mine. Biggest advice is daily ro water top offs and weekly water changes. Some of the items I would get would be:

Test kits

refractometer would not get a swing arm one. Go on amazon and you can get one less than $50 dollars

auto top off set up, saves on manual top off and very accurate maintaining your salinity

ro water either a lfs you can buy from or make your own

couple of 5 gallon buckets

siphon hose

salt

small heater for tank and for you water changes and a small pump

magnet for cleaning your glass

gfi power strip

Intake chamber measures 3 x 31/2, middle chamber the same, and the return chamber 3 x 3 7/8. My wall is slightly warped. For the media basket, I had and old fuge for a bc29 that I cut. You can make a media basket out of acrylic or a light cover from home depot. I do not use a surface skimmer on my set up. I use the same return with 1 towards the surface and the other pointing in the tank.

• Like 1

I wonder if I'll be able to fit a hydor slim skim nano in the first chamber. The dimensions are 3.1" by 3.3". To be safe I'll buy one from a dealer that accepts returns.

Intake chamber measures 3 x 31/2, middle chamber the same, and the return chamber 3 x 3 7/8. My wall is slightly warped. For the media basket, I had and old fuge for a bc29 that I cut. You can make a media basket out of acrylic or a light cover from home depot. I do not use a surface skimmer on my set up. I use the same return with 1 towards the surface and the other pointing in the tank.