Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Want to start 13.5 gallon fluval evo

Fishy7798

Cencalfishguy56

I've heard of people that add the cuc very early, before the bacteria would establish, so I wanted to know if that should be done, or if I should wait.

you should wait till you start seeing diatoms and other algae or else cuc will just die

Alright, I heard emerald crabs are good in case of hair algae, should I get one? If I should, how many?

Don't get one unless necessary. If you don't have the algae, then steer clear.

From what I read it's hit or miss. You may get one that eats bubble algae and one that doesn't. Even if it does, when it puncture the bubble it'll release the spores of the bubble algae, further helping it propragate.

I have been dipping my frags in saltwater/peroxide solution for 5 minutes to get rid of algae. It has its risks, especially for sensitive corals, so tread carefully.

And read up on Bayer's dip before you put any corals into your tank.

Alright, I heard emerald crabs are good in case of hair algae, should I get one? If I should, how many?

I bought the hydor centrifugal 300 hoping that it will fit. Dr foster says it is 2.75 x 1.5 x 3.25H so it should fit.

Did you get your centrifugal yet? If so, did it fit and how's the flow? I'm looking at getting one for my Evo.

I got the pump but not the tank lol. I'll make some measurements and PM you tomorrow.

Did you get your centrifugal yet? If so, did it fit and how's the flow? I'm looking at getting one for my Evo.

I finally got my tank. The hydor 300 is much smaller than the stock pump and it fit perfectly. Only thing though is the hose supplied don't seem to fit too tight with the outlet of the pump. Tried zip-tying and I still have water coming out from the sides. I may have to go to the store and get a short length of vinyl tubing.

Congrats on the pump, the tank just came in, and I have just about everything needed. Could I add the protein skimmer at a later date(ill only keep 2 until I have it running for 2 weeks), and have a single clownfish as the first fish, then the firefish, then the other clownfish.

Also, I went to my local lfs, they claim to have cured live rock. It should instant cycle if it's true, right? I will still test by adding fish food. If it immediately goes to nitrates, it should be safe, right?

• 5 months later...

To all who have posted in this forum. THANK YOU. I have been doing freshwater tanks for years now and finally am diving into the hobby (or black hole) of salt water and reefing! This forum and specifically THIS thread have been some of the best advice I have seen as I read up on everything to know about getting a Fluval Evo 13.5. 

So thanks for all the suggestions and support you all have given as it has been helpful to me!