Pod Your Reef

Jackie's Nuvo 16g

jstuver

That's a sponge!? That's so neat!

Yeah Zia on here sent me a tiny piece like a year ago and it finally took off. Everyone thinks it's sps but nope it's a sponge and awesome

The blue sponge is doing really well. I miss mine, it was doing well and then suddenly all my sponges died in the 10g when things got out of whack.

Awe that sucks I love it and it finally decided to start growing. Let me know if you ever need a small start again:)

Yeah Zia on here sent me a tiny piece like a year ago and it finally took off. Everyone thinks it's sps but nope it's a sponge and awesome

Awe that sucks I love it and it finally decided to start growing. Let me know if you ever need a small start again:)

Thanks, I will! I got mine from Zia, too, it's an awesome coral.

Puppy pic for attention:

DSC04422_zps9jdme0yd.jpg

These "little" munchkins are three weeks old today! I can't believe how fast they grow!

A couple tank pics from yesterday:

FTS February 3, 2017

DSC04123_zpsoa5c3p67.jpg

Top down:

DSC04131_zpsxlnh7pjf.jpg

Added a cleaner shrimp yesterday who really likes to try and grab anyones face that looks over the top of the tank lol, scared the crap out of my daughter tonight:)

DSC04127_zpsdrclqlvc.jpg

DSC04141_zpsvx1hh9qn.jpg

Love this plating sponge:

DSC04139_zpshuxxhyrs.jpg

Spoticinctus clown pair:

DSC04125_zpsa12uqcnj.jpg

Bubbletip anemones:

DSC04134_zpsbvhmhkhx.jpg

Puppies!!

Jackie, I am just catching up on everything! Wow, you had some crazy weeks there. I am so glad that your momma dog came through everything ok. The pups are adorable. And I think your tank still looks good. A nem tank with RFA will be cool.

Jackie, I am just catching up on everything! Wow, you had some crazy weeks there. I am so glad that your momma dog came through everything ok. The pups are adorable. And I think your tank still looks good. A nem tank with RFA will be cool.

Thanks! This is really not my favorite tank all the way around and I hunk I may invest in getting a mr Aqua either 12g long or 22g long and do something like brads natural reef

• Like 1

Thanks! This is really not my favorite tank all the way around and I hunk I may invest in getting a mr Aqua either 12g long or 22g long and do something like brads natural reef

I love brads natural reef also so I can understand the lure to do something different.

Beautiful little reef Jackie, love it.

Question about your Spotcinctus Clowns, did they ever go through a dull brown phase before they got really dark? When I first got mine they were mostly yellow and now they've turned a dull brown, and the white bars are this weird bluish grey color that doesn't contrast well with the odd brown, kind of looks muddy I guess. I'm wondering if the Heterectis magnifica that they're being hosted by is causing this (personally) undesirable pigmentation, because I know that with percula they can lose their black in magnificas as well. I would love your input.

Thanks,

Josh

Beautiful little reef Jackie, love it.

Question about your Spotcinctus Clowns, did they ever go through a dull brown phase before they got really dark? When I first got mine they were mostly yellow and now they've turned a dull brown, and the white bars are this weird bluish grey color that doesn't contrast well with the odd brown, kind of looks muddy I guess. I'm wondering if the Heterectis magnifica that they're being hosted by is causing this (personally) undesirable pigmentation, because I know that with percula they can lose their black in magnificas as well. I would love your input.

Thanks,

Josh

No they've always had the vibrant color they have and Ive had them like a year or longer now. They do have the blue hue to their white that's one of their traits I do believe. Post a pic so I can maybe see what you're talking about

No they've always had the vibrant color they have and Ive had them like a year or longer now. They do have the blue hue to their white that's one of their traits I do believe. Post a pic so I can maybe see what you're talking about

Gotcha. I don't have any recent pics right now, the ones that I do have are quite dated so they'd be of no use, perhaps in a few days I can take some new photos. :) I love them but they're not what I'd expected, hoping that with age they'll darken up just a little more.

Gotcha. I don't have any recent pics right now, the ones that I do have are quite dated so they'd be of no use, perhaps in a few days I can take some new photos. :) I love them but they're not what I'd expected, hoping that with age they'll darken up just a little more.

Sounds good

Very nice and colorful tank!

Im starting my own nano set up and navigating through the forum trying to get ideas... your tank has definitively gave me some!

Wow thank you and good luck with your tank!

• 2 weeks later...

So seems this isn't my favorite tank, I got inspired by a couple shallow tanks and have decided to give the Mr. Aqua low iron 22g tank a try. 

I was inspired by Brads Natural reef and WaWaWang's 40G and plan to do my own version of the two tanks with macros being on the right side large island and a small section for other corals.

It may be a bit before this gets going as I have to decide if I am going to have the stand built or buy something already made...

• Like 6
10 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

That's exciting! Will this be a new tank or a future replacement of the Nuvo?

It will replace the Nuvo, the nuvo just hasn't been my favorite tank and after looking through tank one night those two tanks I mentioned above ignited a new spark as I have been pretty bored with this tank!

• Like 3
11 hours ago, jstuver said:

So seems this isn't my favorite tank, I got inspired by a couple shallow tanks and have decided to give the Mr. Aqua low iron 22g tank a try. 

I was inspired by Brads Natural reef and WaWaWang's 40G and plan to do my own version of the two tanks with macros being on the right side large island and a small section for other corals.

It may be a bit before this gets going as I have to decide if I am going to have the stand built or buy something already made...

Ohhhh....looking forward to seeing this!!!!  But I'll miss that cool stand you found for this current tank!

8 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

22g would be awesome!  Shallow is the best.  

I'm pretty excited!

2 hours ago, gena said:

Ohhhh....looking forward to seeing this!!!!  But I'll miss that cool stand you found for this current tank!

It may actually still fit on the current stand I need to wait until it gets here to see:) If it does I will use it !

• Like 1

Okay deciding on sand. I normally use aragonite live sand but then it ends up having these bigger pieces eventually pop up and I hate it(pic below) so I was considering Fiji pink but will I still get the same thing?

82CD7C83-4A57-415A-B97B-EA3DE420DC8C_zps

dont mind the blue my iPhone hates my LED

Christopher Marks

It's a natural occurrence in any gravel bed for larger stones to work their way to the surface over time, it even happens in my landscaping projects. All the life in your sand churns it up, accelerating the process. You could sift the sand through a screen before putting it in the tank, but that would be a lot of trouble. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

It's a natural occurrence in any gravel bed for larger stones to work their way to the surface over time, it even happens in my landscaping projects. All the life in your sand churns it up, accelerating the process. You could sift the sand through a screen before putting it in the tank, but that would be a lot of trouble. 

Yeah I know, and Ive used another sand in the past but it was basically like mud and never wanted to settle and drove me just as crazy lol 

• Like 2

Okay another question, because I have decided to run this without drilling it and will heavily rely on the macros and rock to filter I am thinking that I would like to have at least a canister filter running on it for the first while for filter floss and carbon and what not. I change out my filter floss in this tank once a week anyway so I will just plan to do the same on the canister. My question is does anyone have any recommendations for a small canister filter?

• Like 1

Tank came yesterday, looks like it will just fit on the stand so I don't have to do a new one! Orders a Toms rapid nano canister filter from Amazon today and need to pick up some egg crate, sand and more live rock...

• Like 2

Had to update with a few puppy pics!

They are now 6.5 weeks old

2ED0C967-439D-4CB1-8309-3D5BE586F2D3_zps

This is Wick the little boy we are keeping:

ACDF1229-AA3D-4141-AE9D-174F66AC9B2B_zps

And I have to share this, the top pic is today at 6.5 weeks(same as above pic), middle is at 4 weeks and bottom is at 3 weeks! They grow so fast!

0219EA56-33FB-4F29-A20F-4C1E0CF1A20C_zps

• Like 3