Coral Vue Hydros

travoose's IM Nuvo 10: Retired

travoose

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Amazing system @travoose! The mushroom understory is really cool too, are the polka-dot spots on them caused by contact with the frogspawn?

Thanks for the kind words!

Not sure how that happened with the mushrooms, hahaha.

I do need to cut out some of my Frogspawn soon.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, travoose said:

Thanks for the kind words!

Not sure how that happened with the mushrooms, hahaha.

I do need to cut out some of my Frogspawn soon.

IMO looks like aeolid flatworms on the mushrooms. 

• Wow 1
31 minutes ago, travoose said:

@ajmckay They certainly do.  I'd imagine they are unwanted...but not sure how to get rid of them efficiently, a few Google searches makes them appear difficult to get rid of.

So I've had some in the past and it's pretty easy to siphon them out.  I made on of these things to suck up detritus in a pico but it would work great for flatworms as well.  Just suck them out daily until they're gone.  

• Like 1

@ajmckay thanks for the advice on the siphon, I will try that out.  To be honest, to show how little I know, I thought they were built up pieces of calcium, because I was seeing them on my tank glass, like a day or two after I would clean the glass, and I was like, "that's weird how quick that would build up again"...so thank you for the the help with this!

@Sharambil my original testing was done with just a basic API Marine Water testing kit...and to be honest, I tested about the first four months or so of having the tank setup, and I have not tested since.  I don't even test the salinity in the tank, I only test the salinity of the saltwater I am mixing to put in.  In fact, I don't do water changes weekly anymore, I switched to bi-weekly and I have seen much more growth and happier corals.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The picture highlights how close to the top of the water line this colony of coral is growing.  Will this start to grow out of the water or would it spread horizontally?

0D7844B3-A3F5-40A1-B40B-0A0540117E1A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

It's been a great ride the last few years with my IM10.  My tank has grown to the point where I was cutting coral out of the tank and giving it to local friends.  I am pleased overall with the tank and what it was and what it became.  I would have actually kept this same size tank if my circumstances had not changed.  However, with all that being said, I am moving to a new house in the next week or so and this has afforded me the opportunity to upgrade my tank.  I am going to start an IM20 next!  I know it is only 20 gallons, but I am still excited and I didn't want to go with anything larger than that size due to costs and room.  So, I will start transferring my existing tank into my new tank over the next few days and, of course, documenting it in a new journal!

Wish me luck!

• Like 1