Top Shelf Aquatics

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

Good morning Nano-Reef-ers!! :flower:

I was going to do a photo shoot post yesterday, but after my water change Wednesday, time got away from me and the sun was starting to set on my reefs. I had a hard time adjusting my camera settings to get any good pictures, so it’ll just have to wait for another day.

Today though, I wanted to make a rambling post about changes I want to make in my lagoon tank. While doing my water change I realized I’m just not happy with the layout and the amount of corals on the sand. It makes siphoning the sand more of a chore, because I have to be careful not to bump, smash, or hurt anything on the sand.

Mainly I want to get rid of, finally and forever, the two stupid frag racks that have been in the tank for what seems like forever! There’s a few SPS corals on there that I’ve been trying to color up for ages, since even before moving the tank from my old apartment over a year ago. I will probably keep only a few SPS corals that have stayed happy and colored for the longest time. The other will have to go.

I really want to get the undata up off the sand bed, I think that it would probably be happy to get more flow and more light. It’s just so big! So I am considering fragging off a small piece for myself and getting rid of the rest! Fragging always just makes me so nervous! :tears:

I’m really loving how happy my euphyllia rock is doing, but they are over taking that side of the tank. Might frag some of those to make a little more room for others. And the duncan is HUGE and just keeps growing… that might be due for a trim as well! But it’s Squiggy’s favorite spot so I hate taking that away from her. -_-

The sun corals and giant gorgonian also need to get up and out of the sand bed. I have a rock for them, but need to make room for it. I also have some palys that just aren’t doing well so close to the duncan that definitely need a new home. Once I cut them off the rock I would have room for a gorgo/sun coral rock.

I need to be like gena and get a little more selective with my corals again. As the tank matures and things get bigger, I want to make sure things have room to grow. Being that it’s a mixed reef, I am always paranoid about coral warfare, so I’m going to come up with a plan to avoid that, by getting rid of some unfriendly corals and separating my different little islands.

• Like 9
11 minutes ago, Quinnr said:

Great looking tank!

Brown noser :lol: 

What brought you here ?  Now that you got your 25 back you are checking out threads ?

Tank is looking good Kimber...........

That undata will be just fine......if it croaks I have one I can send you ;) it has went nuts in my 100.......

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, spectra said:

Brown noser :lol: 

What brought you here ?  Now that you got your 25 back you are checking out threads ?

Tank is looking good Kimber...........

That undata will be just fine......if it croaks I have one I can send you ;) it has went nuts in my 100.......

Im not a brown noser! Its a good looking tank lol. Yeah I got the 25 back so Im back on Nanoreef! 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Quinnr said:

Im not a brown noser! Its a good looking tank lol. Yeah I got the 25 back so Im back on Nanoreef! 

I beg to differ :lol: Hell I have a 100.........a 30 and now a 14................

nanoreef is just better than the local shit.................

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, gena said:

Hahaha...Ben's gonna love it :D.

Did you keep the original pump for the 10 gallon or upgrade it?

I kept the same pump. I will also say that compared to most people, I run my tank pumps low. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I kept the same pump. I will also say that compared to most people, I run my tank pumps low. 

Ok, cool.  I was expecting this pump to be loud.  The pump that came with the Lagoon and the one that came with the drop-off were ridiculously loud.  This one is pretty much normal.  Not as quiet as my silent sicce pump...virtually no noise.  But it's manageable.  Have you done any modifications?  I see you have a caddy for your filter media.  Mine came with a filter sock.  I'm thinking about getting the intank insert so I can replace floss easily.  I use my socks for a month and then toss them.  Gets expensive.

5 minutes ago, gena said:

Ok, cool.  I was expecting this pump to be loud.  The pump that came with the Lagoon and the one that came with the drop-off were ridiculously loud.  This one is pretty much normal.  Not as quiet as my silent sicce pump...virtually no noise.  But it's manageable.  Have you done any modifications?  I see you have a caddy for your filter media.  Mine came with a filter sock.  I'm thinking about getting the intank insert so I can replace floss easily.  I use my socks for a month and then toss them.  Gets expensive.

None of my IM pumps have been loud, and I've had 4 in different tanks. I do use the inTank basket and find it easy to use. I am using an rw4 on the lowest setting. Ato micro. I'm planning a video on all my equipment soon actually. But that's about it and it's very simple :D

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

None of my IM pumps have been loud, and I've had 4 in different tanks. I do use the inTank basket and find it easy to use. I am using an rw4 on the lowest setting. Ato micro. I'm planning a video on all my equipment soon actually. But that's about it and it's very simple :D

I have the ato micro too.  Love that little thing.  Best ato I've used so far :).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jack1978 said:

I can only imagine your fiancee walking in on you playing with Kate......

:lol:

I try to time the filming of these videos when he's not home... :blush:

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I try to time the filming of these videos when he's not home... :blush:

So what you're saying is he needs to leave town more often so we can have more frequent entertainment? :lol:

• Like 3