inTank Media Baskets

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

Nice looking tank, following along. I picked up some Miami Vice Zoanthids from Colin Ford back when he came to speak to our club, they grow super fast! 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

Very nice FTS and top-down pics!  Everything looks happy and healthy  :)

Thanks! Other than the mysterious lack of PE, I'm pretty happy with how things are going.

37 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Nice looking tank, following along. I picked up some Miami Vice Zoanthids from Colin Ford back when he came to speak to our club, they grow super fast! 

Wow, I bet that was fun! I wish they still sold corals. I'd probably spend way too much money if they did, though.

• Like 1

Here's the left from side of the top rocks. The four corals in the center are (starting from the left, going clockwise): 

Cherry Corals Voodoo Magick - this guy is starting to encrust which is good. He's turning from orange to green which is bad. But as always I'm grateful when acros don't die, so it's a success so far!

Mystic Sunset Montipora - encrusting nicely. This is one of the ones I'll probably have to apply peroxide to eventually to keep it under control.

ASD non-name acro - one of the few corals that consistently has PE in this tank, I have no idea why.

California Tort - all the growth is in that one branch, but it's doing nicely.

Cherry Corals Voodoo Magick, Mystic Sunset Montipora, ASD acro, California Tort

Here's a closer shot of the favia on the left. It had really pretty red blotches when I got it, but it lost most color and nearly died when I put it in a bad spot. Since placing it here, it's been growing quickly and is starting to get a little touch of red here and there.

Favia

And here's a closer shot of Freckles, the yellow watchman goby. I think his buddy, the candy cane shrimp, is gone, I haven't seen him in at least a month. I'll probably pick up a new one next time I go to the lfs.

Freckles

Just because I love it, a closer view of the acan/softie garden :wub:

20171231-untitled-121-Edit.jpg

• Like 13
Polarcollision
4 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks! I think the true key to keeping pretty acans is low light, and not too much whites or reds. I'd actually like to turn up the lights a bit, as some of the zoas on the right side seem to be reaching, but life is full of compromises.

The pink and blue vice zoas are their "Aquafresh" zoas. I had them forever and they wouldn't grow at all. Finally when I put them in this tank they decided they like the conditions and they've been multiplying. I hope to start fragging them soon!

Here's a closer picture of them:

20171231-untitled-124-Edit.jpg

The test acan is stil pink. fingers crossed! I would be open to frags when you're ready. :-)

• Like 3
On 11/3/2017 at 2:11 PM, teenyreef said:

Thanks! I think it's going to be a real centerpiece as it grows out.

@RollaJase has the Tunze one, I have one on a long handle, and I have the Flipper. I keep the Flipper out of the tank just in case it rusts.

On 11/3/2017 at 10:23 AM, ninjamyst said:

lol, the metal blade is taped to the manual that i never read =P.  do you keep your care magnet out of water till you need to use it then?  to avoid rusting

Oops, missed this tag. I keep all my magnet cleaners out of the water just to be safe. I keep the care mag clamped to the wall of my sump above the water line, been sitting that way for months and the blade has not rusted. The metal blades are a must though, the plastic blades are only good for film algae. I have scratched the glass in a few places though using the metal blades, need to be careful to not move the blade up and down along the thin edge as opposed to left and right along the broad edge.

The tank is looking amazing teeny! Beautiful colour and pictures as always. Sorry about the loss of the fish, even with lids sometimes they just find a way out.

• Like 1
On 1/6/2018 at 2:46 AM, Polarcollision said:

The test acan is stil pink. fingers crossed! I would be open to frags when you're ready. :-)

That's great to hear! 

I think there will be a long line waiting for aquafresh frags! The colony really is getting big enough that I probably should scrape off a few polyps and see how they do in the frag tank :)

• Like 1
On 1/12/2018 at 2:02 AM, RollaJase said:

Oops, missed this tag. I keep all my magnet cleaners out of the water just to be safe. I keep the care mag clamped to the wall of my sump above the water line, been sitting that way for months and the blade has not rusted. The metal blades are a must though, the plastic blades are only good for film algae. I have scratched the glass in a few places though using the metal blades, need to be careful to not move the blade up and down along the thin edge as opposed to left and right along the broad edge.

The tank is looking amazing teeny! Beautiful colour and pictures as always. Sorry about the loss of the fish, even with lids sometimes they just find a way out.

I do that same - all my algae scrapers stay out of the tank just to avoid rust. 

Confession time, though...I do most of my scraping in this tank with the Continuum Aquablade. For the spots I can't get with that scraper, I grab the blade part of the Flipper and just reach into the tank with it. I can't reach the back half of the tank from the outside because of the sides of the bookshelf it's in, so I rarely bother with the magnet to begin with.

• Like 1
On 1/5/2018 at 11:25 PM, teenyreef said:

Here's the left from side of the top rocks. The four corals in the center are (starting from the left, going clockwise): 

Cherry Corals Voodoo Magick - this guy is starting to encrust which is good. He's turning from orange to green which is bad. But as always I'm grateful when acros don't die, so it's a success so far!

Mystic Sunset Montipora - encrusting nicely. This is one of the ones I'll probably have to apply peroxide to eventually to keep it under control.

ASD non-name acro - one of the few corals that consistently has PE in this tank, I have no idea why.

California Tort - all the growth is in that one branch, but it's doing nicely.

Cherry Corals Voodoo Magick, Mystic Sunset Montipora, ASD acro, California Tort

Here's a closer shot of the favia on the left. It had really pretty red blotches when I got it, but it lost most color and nearly died when I put it in a bad spot. Since placing it here, it's been growing quickly and is starting to get a little touch of red here and there.

Favia

And here's a closer shot of Freckles, the yellow watchman goby. I think his buddy, the candy cane shrimp, is gone, I haven't seen him in at least a month. I'll probably pick up a new one next time I go to the lfs.

Freckles

Just because I love it, a closer view of the acan/softie garden :wub:

20171231-untitled-121-Edit.jpg

That acan garden is nice sir??

Freckles is way cool too

• Like 1
17 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Omg, those aquafresh zoas  :wub: I’d love it if you would put me on the list for a frag of those!

Will do!

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, pgrVII said:

That acan garden is nice sir??

Freckles is way cool too

Thanks! 

Speaking of Freckles, I mentioned when I posted his picture that I thought the candy cane shrimp was dead because I hadn't seen him in forever, and his old cave was no longer getting dug out. So I went to the LFS a few days later to get a new fighting conch and candy cane shrimp, but they were out of the shrimp. 

I got home, put the fighting conch in the tank, and there was Freckles with the candy cane shrimp right next to him, but in a new cave! I love good surprises :wub:

• Like 7
  • 3 weeks later...

After seeing the T5 fixtures @markalot used over his TOTM 40 long (Sunblaster T5's with "NanoTech" reflectors), I got inspired and ordered two of them, with ATI Blue+ bulbs. After some head scratching about how to mount them, I ended up cutting some bar steel to length, tapped some screw holes for the brackets, and painted them black. Then I just laid the whole shebang on top of the Nanobox Wide Quad. I think it turned out OK although I get the screw holes just a tiny bit to close, so that bar steel doesn't quite lay flat on the light. But I can't even tell unless I look closely.

I've been running the lights for about three weeks now. I started with an hour a day, and moved up to three hours a day last week, lowering the LED intensity a little bit at the same time. The idea is to give more even lighting distribution and reduce shadowing, plus get some of that overall T5 goodness for coral coloration. Overall the corals are reacting well with improved coloring, but I think the last hour I added was a little too much - the WWC yellow tips finally started getting yellow tips, but also started to bleach out. So I reduced the T5's back to two hours a day for now, and reduced the LED's by 10%. In spite of my overly aggressive acclimation, I'm really happy with the results so far.

Here's a picture of the new lighting set up:

IM40 T5 Lighting

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, spectra said:

ATI/Nanobox retro for the win ;) 

No screws needed either :lol: 

But that light is hidden right? If so all works so leave it.

Exactly! Instead of doing a Nanobox retrofit in an ATI, I did an ATI retrofit on top of a Nanobox. Only it's not really an ATI, but for under $40 per fixture, I'm paying about a tenth of the price :D

The light's out in the open, but you really can't see any of the frame unless you walk right up and look down on it from about a foot away.

2018-02-03 FTS:

2018-02-03 IM40 FTS

The T5's were off in the FTS. Here's a top down with the T5's on, a little windexy to my eye...

2018-02-03 IM40 Top Down with T5's

I like it better with the T5's off, plus I can see more corals that way :)

2018-02-03 IM40 Top Down

• Like 10
  • Wow 3
5 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

Dude. Tank is looking fantastic! 

Thanks! I've been seeing all your pictures in Instagram but I need to go catch up on your thread :)

• Like 1

I was glad to read that your candy cane shrimp showed back up!  Tank looks incredible, I cant wait to see the plating montis start to weave and spiral up, I want them all!!!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks! I've been seeing all your pictures in Instagram but I need to go catch up on your thread :)

Don’t update the thread as much as Instagram unfortunately. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1