SaltCritters.com

Matteo's College Living Room Piece* Update

Matteo

Was it nipping the corals? I was wanting something that looked like a yellow tank, but angels are nippers and tang police will arrest me if I got a yellow tang.

You are now on the Tang Police watch list for even mentioning this. :P

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was it nipping the corals? I was wanting something that looked like a yellow tank, but angels are nippers and tang police will arrest me if I got a yellow tang.

Yup started nipping. Get a midas blenny!

Midas are jumpers. Are you going to do the lid?

no sir, way too clean looking. He hasn't showed any signs of it at all.

FTS: 5/9/2016 now with Coral + and Purple +

DSC_0054_zpsfpa0cxii.jpg

Nem

DSC_0062_zpsmkvsadz5.jpg

Frammer

DSC_0063_zpsaybcbalp.jpg

Hammer

DSC_0065_zpsekm2x62h.jpg

Torch (sorry for the blur)

DSC_0067_zpsd2ygfczf.jpg

This one is going to become female

DSC_0072_zpshd2k6wqr.jpg

Every time I walk in the house look who is waiting for me

DSC_0073_zpsmzzcubg0.jpg

My bluefish settings T5s are on 11am-10pm

12e4ebe3-18ef-4d9d-b803-df77f1e5c7da_zps

Looking sweet!

thanks! definitely my proudest build yet! Can't wait to fill it up and let things grow! room for a LOT more :P

Nixperience

How's that Midas blenny doing? I'm thinking about getting a starry blenny once I get the new tank up and running.

How's that Midas blenny doing? I'm thinking about getting a starry blenny once I get the new tank up and running.

he is one of my favorites! Always out and swimming and then if not he is in one of his many holes. He definitely has a fun personality. Starry Blenny are super cool but not really water column swimmers

Nixperience

he is one of my favorites! Always out and swimming and then if not he is in one of his many holes. He definitely has a fun personality. Starry Blenny are super cool but not really water column swimmers

I like how they perch and scoot around and have a grumpy old man face.

Orangutran

bummer! They can do that. This dude isn't even full expanded however in the store he wasn't bubbly but my lighting is far better so its all bubbly now :) now I just sit and wait for the hopeful chance that my clowns find it!

Good luck on the clowns finding it. Mine hasn't…

Btw, really dig your tank!

After doing some reading I am going to make an Algae scrubber. Sounds like when lit right they are far more superior at nutrient export. Why do I want this?

1. Because my tank is on the heavy side of Bio-Load

2. I like to feed my fishies and make them happy :D

3. Being in College,working, and having drill weekend I do not have time to water change weekly but would rather change every other week

4. I love DIY projects

5. I still get a bit of brown algae on the glass and sand which I would like to completely eliminate

Plans:

Use something like this but on much smaller scale (10in by 6in roughly) and have my return re-routed into this and then have drainage pipes on the bottom go back into skimmer chamber.

f6403e52_zps19xdqaw7.jpg

I was thinking of rapping these around the acrylic box.

Thoughts and concerns?

Good luck on the clowns finding it. Mine hasn't…

Btw, really dig your tank!

thanks! I really hope they do! I might try the whole picture/video thing....

Nixperience

That looks and sound like it will be a refugium, the way you are setting it up. How are you making it different from a refugium. I'm splitting my return into my fuge and having it overflow back to the return chamber.

That looks and sound like it will be a refugium, the way you are setting it up. How are you making it different from a refugium. I'm splitting my return into my fuge and having it overflow back to the return chamber.

It's the same idea but way better at removing nutrients that macro algae

Nixperience

It's the same idea but way better at removing nutrients that macro algae

How does it work? What's different? Maybe I'll do it too lol

How does it work? What's different? Maybe I'll do it too lol

If you Google algae scrubber you'll get a much better answer than me:D basically you are mixing air and water turbulence on a rough surface for "turf" algae to grow. I have read once you grow it your nitrates will seriously disappear and you can have heavier nutrient loads

Nixperience

If you Google algae scrubber you'll get a much better answer than me:D basically you are mixing air and water turbulence on a rough surface for "turf" algae to grow. I have read once you grow it your nitrates will seriously disappear and you can have heavier nutrient loads

Hmm

Nixperience

Just watched some videos. If my wife saw me cleaning the turf scrubber every week, that would be the end of the fish tank. I'll stick with a refugium.

Just watched some videos. If my wife saw me cleaning the turf scrubber every week, that would be the end of the fish tank. I'll stick with a refugium.

hahahahahah! I am so lucky my gf is down for all of it!

Making RODI water today for water change tomorrow, gonna do a 15 gallon water change but before hand I am going to turkey baster all the LR, clean MP10 wetside, clean RW4, clean skimmer cup, scrape calcium deposit line on water line of tank, hand scrub all sides of glass, clean filter socks, replace carbon on reactor, and clean return pump. ohhhh yeeeah.

Archived