Top Shelf Aquatics

Jecod CP-40 "Cross Flow" (Gyre) Review

HarryPotter

Align your pumps right and you shouldn't have bearing issues :P

This pump has been out for 5 minutes. Let's not pretend it's the saviour just yet. ;)

I was thinking about a Gyre for a bit but then I read a bunch of reviews which listed quality issues as a problem. I am curious to see how this one does. But I still wouldn't want cords in my tank :)

I have an RW4 - to me, when it works, it's great. When it doesn't work, it's a PITA. I've had to take the thing apart about 4 times in the past 6 months to get it working again.

I was thinking about a Gyre for a bit but then I read a bunch of reviews which listed quality issues as a problem. I am curious to see how this one does. But I still wouldn't want cords in my tank :)

I have an RW4 - to me, when it works, it's great. When it doesn't work, it's a PITA. I've had to take the thing apart about 4 times in the past 6 months to get it working again.

New model Gyre comes with more rugged blades to address early concerns about quality issues. But if you are concerned about quality, you shouldn't be looking at Jebao in the first place =P. *flame suit on*

• Like 3

New model Gyre comes with more rugged blades to address early concerns about quality issues. But if you are concerned about quality, you shouldn't be looking at Jebao in the first place =P. *flame suit on*

HA! good point.

Their return pumps are really nice.

I don't know man.... The MP40 sticks out a lot.

I still have both, I can always change my mind. But as of now I feel the Gyre moves more water (and does it better) and doesn't stick out the side of the tank.

I personally prefer a small wire over the back of the tank than a 3" bump on the side of my reefer... Just preference I guess :)

Ya. I'd risk thousands of dollars in coral on a $110 pump that probably doesn't have very good material covering the copper motor.

No .

Wires in the tank ...

tumblr_n8rfruhO6L1tv4k5po1_400.gif

I literally laughed out loud. Like..... hard. haha

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Their return pumps are really nice.

Ya. I'd risk thousands of dollars in coral on a $110 pump that probably doesn't have very good material covering the copper motor.

I literally laughed out loud. Like..... hard. haha

I have like $5 of coral, no worries then :ninja:

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
JavaJacketOC

Anyone using the CP40 around here? I picked up a CP25 and while it definately worked in my tank I couldn't use either of the wave functions and get enough water movement so I decided to get a CP40.

The CP25 was pretty much silent but the CP40 makes some interesting noises. Kinda sounds like a low volume VW Bug engine...not really sure how to describe it. It's not terribly loud but you can hear it compared to the CP25. I pulled apart the blades and put them all back together and no change.

Just curious if this is how it sounds...or even if this is how the comparable MaxSpect model sounds?

• Like 2

Anyone using the CP40 around here? I picked up a CP25 and while it definately worked in my tank I couldn't use either of the wave functions and get enough water movement so I decided to get a CP40.

The CP25 was pretty much silent but the CP40 makes some interesting noises. Kinda sounds like a low volume VW Bug engine...not really sure how to describe it. It's not terribly loud but you can hear it compared to the CP25. I pulled apart the blades and put them all back together and no change.

Just curious if this is how it sounds...or even if this is how the comparable MaxSpect model sounds?

I'm running the Gyre....the smaller one in my cube. I have it ramp up to about 70% and I can hear it when I'm near the tank.....a couple of feet away and I hear nothing.

How's the quality of the CP seem to be?

JavaJacketOC

I'm running the Gyre....the smaller one in my cube. I have it ramp up to about 70% and I can hear it when I'm near the tank.....a couple of feet away and I hear nothing.

How's the quality of the CP seem to be?

Ok, maybe it's normal. I did something at one point and it was loud as hell, could hear it in the other room....not sure what I did but it corrected when I messed with the blades.

Both of these feel pretty sturdy, I haven't seen the Gyre in person to compare but it doesn't feel cheap to me.

I'm also thinking about trying one of the Jebao RW controllers so I can get an Else mode....no idea if it's possible and probably going to break something but could be fun.

• Like 1

I am not sure about the CP's but my Gyre X150 is runs quiet even if I am standing next to it. Since it is so powerful I don't need to run it very high though, below 50% on a 75g. Any higher and even my larger grain sand starts moving around. I did get the 150 over the 130 since I figured running as large powerhead on a lower setting is quieter than running a small one on a higher setting.

If your CP25 was silent on higher settings, I would expect the same from the CP40, especially if it is on a lower setting.

Ok, maybe it's normal. I did something at one point and it was loud as hell, could hear it in the other room....not sure what I did but it corrected when I messed with the blades.

Both of these feel pretty sturdy, I haven't seen the Gyre in person to compare but it doesn't feel cheap to me.

I'm also thinking about trying one of the Jebao RW controllers so I can get an Else mode....no idea if it's possible and probably going to break something but could be fun.

Eh, what's the worst that could happen?

All hail the new king gyre!

Bummer that Jebao/Jecod just rips off other designs - but hell... who can afford those other pumps. All I use are Jebao and quite frankly, they're great. If they last 1/3 as long as the competition you still come out on top - and chances are you get to buy a new model every couple years with better technology.

• 1 month later...

I currently run 3 RW4s on full power/constant mode setting and its no where near enough flow, thats 12,000 Litres an hour or so. (330L tank)

Ive just ordered the CP-25 and ill see how that goes, ill most likely keep two of the RW4s on each side of the back wall anyway, because cables :)

Does anyone know where I can find a instruction manual for this cp 40? I bought mine used and they did not have the manual for it. Iv tried to look it up but have found nothing.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/24/2016 at 10:16 AM, HarryPotter said:

$110 bucks. More modes than a Gyre. Less obtrusive than my Vortech IMO

Hit me up with any questions of comments

1.5 years later, still worth it?

1 hour ago, toddseimer said:

1.5 years later, still worth it?

Didn't like that I couldn't get enough flow without sand going everywhere- sold it after a month and went back to my MP40

• Like 1

I have the gyre and like it but you may need to replace parts occasionally.  I wasn't really aware of this before I bought it.  They recommend cleaning it once a month and taking it apart completely and putting it back together if you have problems.  Mine was not entirely easy to take apart and I may have damaged the shaft.  Otherwise a great pump.  One thing I like about the gyre over the jecod is you can buy an endcap and use half of it in smaller tanks.

• Like 1