inTank Media Baskets

Jecod CP-40 "Cross Flow" (Gyre) Review

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

"shout out to Jecod, they're good at knocking off other products"

lol. That's like telling the guy next to you in an exam who's just copying your answers, hey good job on getting that degree!

In seriousness though nice job on the video, $110 isn't a terrible price either.

Hey if you can make it for cheaper good for you, competition. Maxspect also makes it in China so they both have similar costs, its not a domestic company.

Love the review. I am trying to decide between buying maxspec's version and the Jecod one.

Jecod: $140 but probably cheaper in the far future once ebay/amazon get them

Maxspect Gyre: $216

So currently $76 difference (using fish-street) but the gyre does come with extra parts which negotiate some of the savings if you ever need the parts.

Does the CP-40 have the old style thin blades or thicker more "rugged" ones that maxspect upgraded to?

If something breaks, how to do you get the parts to fix it for the cross-flow? I suspect this may not be an issue in the future but I don't think I see any parts listed anywhere and fishstreet says they won't ship to USA atm so I am not sure if they will warranty it either?

It's certainly not indestructible so fixing it is a concern. I did find reviews on another forum for the CP-40 and one person purchased theirs through reef-breeders and after a short while, one side was not turning/working. They were lucky though as reef-breeders replaced it for them. However, reef-breeders no longer sells them. Fixing possible breakage is a concern of mine.

Jecod is sold here for $110 rather than $140, not sure why/how. Not sure on blades. Not sure on parts. Not sure on warranty. For the money I think its worth it if it lasts two years. Bummer Reef Breeders doesn't replace them!

Pandemonium took her apart and back together, still works. I bet they'll have parts available soon.

Mr. Microscope

I'll be interested to know the lifespan of this pump. I got one of the WP10's a while back and it stopped working for me after just a few months. I purchased a second one figuring maybe there was some issue with the first, but again it ended up dead on me after only a few months usage. At only $30 a pop I didn't mind so much as that makes them practically a disposable consumable, but never purchased another one.

This looks like an awesome product, but I'm hesitant to make a purchase in the neighborhood of $100-140 if it only lasts a few months. If you get a year or two out of it, I say it's money well spent. My Ecotech MP10 on the other hand is still going strong (though slightly noisy) after 4+ years.

HarryPotter

I think it's hard to compare quality with maxspect unless you own the maxspect too. So send me your cross flow and I will tell you if the quality is good or not =P.

Ive seen the Maxspect at the store im working at, would need both in hand to compare though

LOl yeah lots of dark edges but she knows what she's doing, probably has low light corals there.

One wire over the rim is much better than the MP40wQD sticking out the side

Your high like usual!
  • Like 2
HarryPotter

Your high like usual!

I don't know man.... The MP40 sticks out a lot.

I still have both, I can always change my mind. But as of now I feel the Gyre moves more water (and does it better) and doesn't stick out the side of the tank.

• Like 1

I don't know man.... The MP40 sticks out a lot.

I still have both, I can always change my mind. But as of now I feel the Gyre moves more water (and does it better) and doesn't stick out the side of the tank.

I know they stick out I owned one. But I would rather have a bump on the side rather than a wire over the rim of say a beautiful reefer. Hope she has no light corals on the ends of that tank. I remember when Claudia couldn't keep a chalice alive :lol:
  • Like 4
HarryPotter

I know they stick out I owned one. But I would rather have a bump on the side rather than a wire over the rim of say a beautiful reefer. Hope she has no light corals on the ends of that tank. I remember when Claudia couldn't keep a chalice alive :lol:

I personally prefer a small wire over the back of the tank than a 3" bump on the side of my reefer... Just preference I guess :)

• Like 1
HarryPotter

You have a heater in your display, you get no style voting points. :lol:

And when I turn my return pump off for a few hours the display won't drop 1* :P

• Like 1

is that the only reason why you have the heater in your display????? I thought it was just a temporary thing. Get that heater out of there!

• Like 4

Corals aren't that worried about temp swings IMO and a tank that size will take a long time to lose heat, but that's a discussion for another thread.
  • Like 4

:huh: are you serious? I turn my return pump off for a few hours when I do waterchanges. I end up watching tv and forget about it. What is 1 degree going to do kill some SPS or what?

99570-Clay-Davis-cheers-gif-drinking-YAh

:lol:
  • Like 2
HarryPotter

We just want to give u a hard time Harry !!

I still like a mpxx sticking outside my tank rather than a wire in my tank....

Really? To me the whole MP40 AND wire on the side panel is so much worse than just the wire over

Really? To me the whole MP40 AND wire on the side panel is so much worse than just the wire over

I run mine on the back wall and like it much better

• Like 2

that's the best way. if only the MP10 / MP40 can tilt / angle. plus if ur back wall is black, u can't even tell the pump is there.

I have a single mp10 on each side of my overflow

• Like 1