Top Shelf Aquatics

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

Wow, I can't believe how many spawns you get!! You must really be doing something right!!

Thanks. They sure do spawn a lot but I'm still haven't seen a 2nd spawning from females from the 12/2 spawning. I know I had another male spawning like 2 wks after. I need the females to keep up!

Gimme the inside dimensions of the stand and the door opening measurement. I'll see if there's something better than a 5g tank for a sump.

Door is like 10.75 W, 19.5 H

Inside is like 17 x 17".

The 5.5 g is 16" L x 8"W x10"H

You didn't die in a freak tank plumbing accident, did you? Used to coming on nano multiple times a day just to read your updates and see some sexy nems!

Nah, no accidents, just had my gall bladder taken out last Thurs, stayed at my mom's home so I could heal. She'd take out the dog on the pulling leash, she washed my clothes, fed me, so I just came home today. Every yawn, hiccup, burp hurts still at this moment and after this laprascopic surgery she didn't want me to do anything but heal. Of course I underestimated how I'd be, so Saturday I already texted my boss that I'd be out a week.

Hope no one's grossed out but I here's a picture of my gall bladder with 2 stones right there, there are more in the yellow muck, you can't take them home these days said this hospital, they run them off to the lab right away.

20170126_213756_zpskezzvjmk.jpg

20170126_193935_zpsufpbo8ag.jpg

Today I took off the steri strips, I have to clean it off still with rubbing alcohol.

I'm making water and Saturday the nursery tank will get wet. My friend Randi will help, I still have to be careful about lifting things.

• Like 2

OMG! Wishing you well. Speedy recovery! (Yep, it's gross! Looks like something from Dr Oz!)

I've been out of commission myself for the past 3 weeks. Working 24/7 though, not surgery. Don't have the energy to catch up on all of my favorite threads, so just going to have to start from here. Looks like you are building something new?

• Like 1

OMG! Wishing you well. Speedy recovery! (Yep, it's gross! Looks like something from Dr Oz!)

I've been out of commission myself for the past 3 weeks. Working 24/7 though, not surgery. Don't have the energy to catch up on all of my favorite threads, so just going to have to start from here. Looks like you are building something new?

Those are bigger stones than a pair of dice!

In short, I got a cool tank from a local, he built the stand and didn't like it, is moving and had to downsize the number of tanks he had. I just prettied it up and painted it inside & out w/ matte black, put a front lever on the door. I got tank and stand in exchange for $100 worth of rock flower anemones, so great deal. He just knows it's going to take like 6 mos to get to dime size! I'll only have but a few in there to start. What's bad as many of the single ones on the sand, I can't find on the sand anymore. And the 3 largest at 1/4" I can't find at all. They moved somewhere & who knows.

I'm debating, should I use the water from the 40g to start the cycling of the nursery and just put fresh in the 40g?? I'm using completely new substrate but I am using the live rock from the 10g for the start up bacteria and use dixie cup of sand from the 10g as well to get it started. Or do I use completely new water?

Glad everything went well and you're recovering nicely!

Yeah, I am, I'm just amazed by all the burping that happens and it's gut generated for sure.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick update. As far as the water debate...you're way above me in the knowledge dept. Use your best judgement-It has gotten you far.

Thank You and I forgot to mention it's 18" x 18" x 8" high but due to the overflow it's only going to be 6" high.

• Like 1

Get well and glad to hear you made it out alive B) sucks you cant take things home...................I asked for some hardware on my leg and the dr says no we don't do that :blink: well wtf.......it came in my body why cant I have a memento :lol:

• Like 2

Get well and glad to hear you made it out alive B) sucks you cant take things home...................I asked for some hardware on my leg and the dr says no we don't do that :blink: well wtf.......it came in my body why cant I have a memento :lol:

It seems stupid, like you don't need the whole sack of rocks to break them apart and see what they're made of. I don't even care what they're made of so don't even send them and waste my dime. I girl I met locally through our club, is a paramedic and lives in Cherokee and due to religious reasons they have to get their body parts back. Let's say they got a leg amputated, it would go to burial with them. So I don't know what they do with it in the meantime, like where they store it and all. ??

speedy recovery! i vote new water just cuz most of your bacteria will come from rock and sand

That's what I was leaning towards.

I girl I met locally through our club, is a paramedic and lives in Cherokee and due to religious reasons they have to get their body parts back. Let's say they got a leg amputated, it would go to burial with them. So I don't know what they do with it in the meantime, like where they store it and all. ??

Well mark it well and put it in the freezer and hope no one takes it out for dinner :wacko:

• Like 2

I see this in my future for my 25g bucket or use for individual buckets when I'm filling them for my friend, too many times I've got water all over the place in the kitchen.

• Like 2

Hope you are well!

.....and I vote new water :)

Yes, I decided on new water too. I'll already have rock ready to go, it's sitting in my 10g tank waiting.

20170203_205050_zpsyzegmmfg.jpg

Sump is 16L x 8W x 10H. I'm going to put a 4x8 filter sock when I get it and I still want to put a media tower of some kind so there won't be much room.

20170203_205215_zpssaiv8r77.jpg

• Like 4

Went ahead & ordered several filter socks. I want it to go through carbon so I might just be putting 8 oz of carbon in a media bag and then putting it in the sock. I might even make like a light crate box, let the sock hang in the middle and in the outskirts of the box put some media so the water has to go out the sock & media to the next stage which is just rock and then return. Still have time to think about that but I'll probably go buy the crate tomorrow. I already have those convenient black little zip ties too.

I was also thinking something like this. I make a hole in the top of the container, secure the sock hanging down and cut a hole in the bottom and glue a piece of round plastic canvas for the bottom. Just trying to think of ways to localize the water through the media.

20170203_225818_zpswjmgnqwz.jpg

I also have 3 sheets of plastic canvas which I might use in the future if I switch to using a homemade algae scrubber. If I do that it'll obviously change up the sock idea, we'll see what I decide as time goes on here.

20170203_230404_zpspzlv9dnx.jpg

• Like 3

So this container is 5.5" high and the sock would be 8" but I think it would be ok, i'll probably have to enlarge the hole on top of the cup.

You get what I'm thinking here? I actually could just throw carbon loosely into the bottom 1.5", right??? This thing would be easy to clean when time. Or is this a stupid idea and I should just make a light crate box w/ the top cut for the hanging bag??

20170203_235434_zpsqegqjbas.jpg

20170203_235418_zpsq3264r0g.jpg

Didn't they give you betadine to swab that with? Oh yea, you're gonna have to do better than that to make me wince.

Nope, but I have rubbing alcohol and peroxide at home & using antibiotic soap. My belly button still is healing, scabbing encrusting, Annette leave it alone, let it do that!

• Like 2

So took only a couple pics of rock flower babies in this tank. I hope the biggest show up, they were the nice purple tinted tentacles, the big white one, the ones roaming free. I counted like 25 so more had dwindled. I'm still pleased with that number it's just most of those have found their home in the parent tank.

20170206_191437_zpsmm3yh1ws.jpg

This one that was all brown, has actually a light green coming into the tentacles.

20170206_193305_001_zpsn2tqqunb.jpg

20170206_191651_zpstpkyriug.jpg

20170206_191833_zpsfwqtzzxn.jpg

20170206_191830_zpsommbwpfv.jpg

20170206_191828_zpsrkycj3ow.jpg

20170206_191825_zpshtix9vcq.jpg

20170206_191815_zpsf0dcdou9.jpg

20170206_191803_zpspd1mstpn.jpg

• Like 2

Nope, but I have rubbing alcohol and peroxide at home & using antibiotic soap. My belly button still is healing, scabbing encrusting, Annette leave it alone, let it do that!

Don't make me come down there and turn you over my knee. I will. ;) Don't use peroxide, it can cause ugly granulomas.

• Like 1

Noted! No granulomas! No peroxide. Are you a doctor or PA or something?

Also I put up a sticky hook to the top of the stand. I have to wait an hour but then I gotta see if my light will hold or if I need to wrap some picture wire around it to make it stay.

Did I already mention no Ammonia?

Time to take a nap and envision baby rock flowers dancing in my head in their new tank. Work has been draining this week.

• Like 1

Time to take a nap and envision baby rock flowers dancing in my head in their new tank. Work has been draining this week.

I hear ya! Hell of a week between work, a speeding ticket yesterday (while passing some idiot doing 15 under along with three other cars, of course they picked off the red Corvette), and coming home to my new fish having enjoyed a little too much carpet surfing. :-( Can't wait for Friday!

• Like 1