Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

update on this tank?  

too ashamed of the frag city i been building in this tank...  my frag tank not doing that great so had to move all my frags back to here =(

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

too ashamed of the frag city i been building in this tank...  my frag tank not doing that great so had to move all my frags back to here =(

Pretty much mirrors my experience running a display and a frag tank. I ended up turning my sump into a frag tank. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Pretty much mirrors my experience running a display and a frag tank. I ended up turning my sump into a frag tank. 

I tried doing that but then all the equipment in my sump and the glass got covered by algae =(.  I really should plumb my frag tank to my display tank but frag tank is in basement =P.

1 minute ago, ninjamyst said:

I tried doing that but then all the equipment in my sump and the glass got covered by algae =(.  I really should plumb my frag tank to my display tank but frag tank is in basement =P.

Can't ever win in this hobby, right? 

I just deal with the coralline - to me it's the lesser of two evils. I would totally plumb in a frag tank, but my wife would kill me... though it's still in the plans for my future CSB farm. 

4 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Can't ever win in this hobby, right? 

I just deal with the coralline - to me it's the lesser of two evils. I would totally plumb in a frag tank, but my wife would kill me... though it's still in the plans for my future CSB farm. 

I paid like $150 for the frag tank plus $200 for a new cabinet to put it on.  Not to mention I told my wife the frag tank will pay for itself in no time but it's been sitting empty in the basement....

• Haha 2
10 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

I paid like $150 for the frag tank plus $200 for a new cabinet to put it on.  Not to mention I told my wife the frag tank will pay for itself in no time but it's been sitting empty in the basement....

So disturbingly similar... Mine ran for a year or so, before I called it quits. Sold it all and just re-focused on the display. I am afraid to think about all the money I've spent and how many times I justified it by saying "it'll pay for itself."

"Oh, this overpriced, tempermental acro will definitely be a good choice cause I'll make money back fragging it." 1 month later, STN. 

• Haha 2

Haha, yeah I grow coral so slowly, a frag tank would go to waste at my house.  I just focus on the display, keep it as a work of art.  If I frag anything it will be in response to coral warfare, not a get rich quick scheme lol.

• Like 1
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

1 hour ago, pokerdobe said:

So disturbingly similar... Mine ran for a year or so, before I called it quits. Sold it all and just re-focused on the display. I am afraid to think about all the money I've spent and how many times I justified it by saying "it'll pay for itself."

"Oh, this overpriced, tempermental acro will definitely be a good choice cause I'll make money back fragging it." 1 month later, STN. 

So... frag tank is not a good idea?  I think I’m gonna turn my display into a “display” frag tank, a few frags mounted on chunky rock works, not quite true ‘scape.  And one day get a worthy display tanks like yours. 

3 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

my $100 acro fragged RTN withing hours....sigh.  Now I am mostly collecting zoas for fragging.

3 hours ago, Travis said:

Haha, yeah I grow coral so slowly, a frag tank would go to waste at my house.  I just focus on the display, keep it as a work of art.  If I frag anything it will be in response to coral warfare, not a get rich quick scheme lol.

hahah, i dont think any of us gonna get rich fragging corals but it helps to pay for some sunk cost of this hobby.  

So... frag tank is not a good idea?  I think I’m gonna turn my display into a “display” frag tank, a few frags mounted on chunky rock works, not quite true ‘scape.  And one day get a worthy display tanks like yours. 

just keep the frags in your display and sell them quickly 😃

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

3 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

my $100 acro fragged RTN withing hours....sigh.  Now I am mostly collecting zoas for fragging.

hahah, i dont think any of us gonna get rich fragging corals but it helps to pay for some sunk cost of this hobby.  

just keep the frags in your display and sell them quickly 😃

I second that. The only way I'd ever set up a frag tank again is if it's plumbed into my display. My problem is I'm not dedicated enough to maintain two whole separate systems. I don't know how the rest of yall do it. 

I had a decent zoa farm for a while, but gave it up for acros. No one wanted to pay the prices I was asking for zoas - it seems like acros though don't suffer from the issue nearly as much. People still don't blink when I ask for 100 for 1" frag of an acro. 

The real money is in high end nems though....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pokerdobe said:

I second that. The only way I'd ever set up a frag tank again is if it's plumbed into my display. My problem is I'm not dedicated enough to maintain two whole separate systems. I don't know how the rest of yall do it. 

I had a decent zoa farm for a while, but gave it up for acros. No one wanted to pay the prices I was asking for zoas - it seems like acros though don't suffer from the issue nearly as much. People still don't blink when I ask for 100 for 1" frag of an acro. 

The real money is in high end nems though....

Yea, local guys here sell acros for $100 - $200 a frag while I get super excited if someone buys my zoas for $5....

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Elizabeth94

Man o man! Tank is looking great, I remember following your build a while ago when I was still in college. Your build is one of the reasons I am leaning towards a Reefer to get back in the hobby. But I don’t think the hubby will allow me to nose dive that big into it. Gotta start small again with my fusion 20. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Man o man! Tank is looking great, I remember following your build a while ago when I was still in college. Your build is one of the reasons I am leaning towards a Reefer to get back in the hobby. But I don’t think the hubby will allow me to nose dive that big into it. Gotta start small again with my fusion 20. 

Welcome back!  The Reefer is great and Waterbox is becoming very popular lately.  But you can never go wrong with the IM AIOs.  What are your plans for the 20?  Is it wet yet =P

• Thanks 1
Elizabeth94
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

Welcome back!  The Reefer is great and Waterbox is becoming very popular lately.  But you can never go wrong with the IM AIOs.  What are your plans for the 20?  Is it wet yet =P

Thanks!

Well, I was planning to run my 4bulb ATI again in hopes to grow some colorful sps. My last build was cut way too short and the tank had no time to mature. I never heard of Waterbox aquariums and the 45.2 would be perfect for me. I was also looking into the IM’s with the exterior overflows. Back to the drawing board! 

• Haha 1
mitten_reef
8 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Thanks!

Well, I was planning to run my 4bulb ATI again in hopes to grow some colorful sps. My last build was cut way too short and the tank had no time to mature. I never heard of Waterbox aquariums and the 45.2 would be perfect for me. I was also looking into the IM’s with the exterior overflows. Back to the drawing board! 

Live aquaria is running some sweet deals on the Reefer series, especially the ones on the  larger side - $500 gift cert!

Live aquaria is running some sweet deals on the Reefer series, especially the ones on the  larger side - $500 gift cert!

You are the worst!  I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on the 525 XL.  I have a deep scratch in the front of the 350 so I been debating whether to upgrade or not.....argh.  Too bad the white 750 is sold out =(.  I really wish I didn't get laid off last week....how do I tell my wife I am going to drop $3k on a new tank when I been sitting at home doing nothing...hahah.  Not to mention I will need a new pump, skimmer, gyre, and lights.  

Elizabeth94

^ If it makes you feel any better I talked my husb into getting a $3200 dog last winter and he looked at me like I had seven heads when I told him I was dying to get back into reefing.

Seriously though, that is a fantastic deal. $500 goes fast on reef equipment, but you'll def be able to get a good new pump and such. 

• Like 1
mitten_reef
2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

You are the worst!  I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on the 525 XL.  I have a deep scratch in the front of the 350 so I been debating whether to upgrade or not.....argh.  Too bad the white 750 is sold out =(.  I really wish I didn't get laid off last week....how do I tell my wife I am going to drop $3k on a new tank when I been sitting at home doing nothing...hahah.  Not to mention I will need a new pump, skimmer, gyre, and lights.  

I told my wife. 

Me: $500 gift cert!!! on my dream tank

Wife: it still requires $2k+ spent.

what a killjoy 😂

Sorry to hear about the job man, hope things look up soon.  

• Haha 2