Coral Vue Hydros

Fluval Spec 3 Pico Reef

Tuffryu

So my magnesium salt and mag test kit came in today, and I immediately went into nerdy professor testing mode :lol:

24424111625_d73b932064_h.jpg

Reading was't bad at all. Was at roughly ~1275ppm. Alk tested today was down to 7dkh so will start dosing more alk than calcium in this next week.

New resident added a couple of days ago was this digita frag - half green half purple in the back. Little hard to see but this little guy was a steal for $10 - 2 for 1. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

24397885696_e7144b970c_h.jpg

24341634421_e432a87ec2_h.jpg

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see your digging the micro ato too. How awesome is that thing? I absolutely love having so far.

Nice looking pico,the sticks look very cool :)

It's pretty damn awesome I have to admit. Thanks for the comments!

Tank was looking awesome until the whole Seahawks thing .

Glad to see the micro is working well for you , I'm bringing the Spec III back and was waiting for some hands on experience before I grabbed one. Thanks for the info

Tank was looking awesome until the whole Seahawks thing .

Glad to see the micro is working well for you , I'm bringing the Spec III back and was waiting for some hands on experience before I grabbed one. Thanks for the info

Hahaha, thanks JBB! Gotta cheer for the hometown team.

I'll probably bring the spec 3 back at some point as well - mainly as a holding tank or for some rare softies. We'll see.

1st week down but I haven't had ammonium fluctuations yet. This Dry rock build I proving to be slow. I hear

Patients will pay off. If I were feeling risky, any thoughts on the types or croak's that might survive or at' east expedite a cycle?

I would toss in a small piece of raw shrimp and leave it in for a few days, until it gets a bit fuzzy, and then remove it. Some flake food will do the trick as well. I wouldn't add anything live at this point but that's just me.

1st week down but I haven't had ammonium fluctuations yet. This Dry rock build I proving to be slow. I hear

Patients will pay off. If I were feeling risky, any thoughts on the types or croak's that might survive or at' east expedite a cycle?

Pete's reco is a good one Shinjo. Just toss a piece of raw shrimp into the tank to kick off the ammonia cycle. Let it get good and mushy and that should start it. Feeding the tank will also help.

Don't waste money on putting anything live. It will just die.

I would toss in a small piece of raw shrimp and leave it in for a few days, until it gets a bit fuzzy, and then remove it. Some flake food will do the trick as well. I wouldn't add anything live at this point but that's just me.

Dosing pump came in today.

Fairly straightforward if you can read Chinese. j/k lol. The instructions are a bit hard to understand but no biggie. I have the thing scheduled for timing but not calibrated yet. Seems like a decent piece of machinery, but then again I haven't looked at too many dosing units up close. Only using 2 pumps at the moment.

Will try to get the thing running this week sometime - after house projects :/

24207422340_e2d637cebd_h.jpg

I know what you mean! If you Google it there are good instructions online.

Indeed lol!

Question for you teeny, what are using to hold the dosing hoses into your tank? I bought an acrylic mount, but its too tall and the tubes would be under the water level in my tank.

let me know, thanks!

I got an acrylic one from fishstreet.com for free when I ordered my Jabao doser from them.

But a better one is the Vertex line mag holder. It's small and fits great. I use it in my 10g tank. Here's a pic of it in my 10g tank:

23900112115_4c76799788_b.jpgVertex by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I got an acrylic one from fishstreet.com for free when I ordered my Jabao doser from them.

But a better one is the Vertex line mag holder. It's small and fits great. I use it in my 10g tank. Here's a pic of it in my 10g tank:

23900112115_4c76799788_b.jpgVertex by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Ohhhhh man that vertex holder is NICE!!!

Thanks for forwarding!

I really like mine. Of course you can always use the approach I used to take, which is to just zip tie the dosing lines to the power cords for the heater and pump :)

Dang! Those dosing units look like some next level stuff. That's way more than i'd be willing to put into my Spec3 plus i don't really have room for all those gadgets which is why i went with the pico tank. Still super cool to see you guys using it. I'll probably keep it in mind if i decided to make space for a bigger tank. :D

What kinds of things will you be using the automatic doser for? pH buffers, calcium and magnesium?

Update: I've been throwing in flake food into my spec 3 and still have very low ammonia values. going on day 11. Should I continue to throw flake food in even though i can see some in the filter and swirling around in the tank? I'm almost certain that i just need to continue to be patient and just let the water chemistry do its thing. Also, I've only changed 2 cups of water since day 1.

Dang! Those dosing units look like some next level stuff. That's way more than i'd be willing to put into my Spec3 plus i don't really have room for all those gadgets which is why i went with the pico tank. Still super cool to see you guys using it. I'll probably keep it in mind if i decided to make space for a bigger tank. :D

What kinds of things will you be using the automatic doser for? pH buffers, calcium and magnesium?

Update: I've been throwing in flake food into my spec 3 and still have very low ammonia values. going on day 11. Should I continue to throw flake food in even though i can see some in the filter and swirling around in the tank? I'm almost certain that i just need to continue to be patient and just let the water chemistry do its thing. Also, I've only changed 2 cups of water since day 1.

Let it do its thing.

Shinjo, if you plan to do just softies, manual dosing will be just fine and you probably won't need to do it every day.

In my doser, I will use calcium and alkalinity. I use magnesium in the top off water thats pumped through my ATO. I checked levels last night after 4 days and I was at 400ppm calcium and 7.5 dkh alkalinity (my previous reading was 420+ calc and 8.5 alk) which is the primary reason why I bought a dosing pump as I can't keep up with the amount of nutrients and the pace at which they're being absorbed - even for a 9gal tank lol.

Good thing you're feeding the tank - let it get nice and dirty. It'll start. The raw shrimp expedites things, but feeding it should do just fine. To answer your question, yes continue feeding.

I really like mine. Of course you can always use the approach I used to take, which is to just zip tie the dosing lines to the power cords for the heater and pump :)

LOL, yea i was thinking about hanging them off of my lamp. I ordered the vertex so that should be coming soon.

I was curious, what does your dosing schedule and quantity look like on your 10gal?

Latest addition is this green stylophora. Looks pretty cool under blue lights.

Goby is like "aye, what's going on here...".

24541407016_8bd1197591_h.jpg

Dosing pump is hooked up and going. Definitely not the prettiest thing to have around but hope it helps.

23940752773_3ba1bc8573_h.jpg

Overall how do you like that doser?

I was looking at the same unit on amazon, but didn't want to pull the trigger until I learned more about it.

Archived