ReefCleaners.org

Fluval Spec 3 Pico Reef

Tuffryu

A lot of people swear by the Tunze osmolator (non-nano one). It has an electronic eye to detect water level.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-osmolator-universal-3155-auto-top-off.html

I have heard good things about this one too. It also has an electronic eye:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/autoaqua-smart-ato-auto-top-off-system.html

If you absolutely want it cheap, you can DIY. Get a relay, some float switches, a 12v transformer (spare cell phone charger), some wires, an electrical extension cord, and a TOMS aqualifter. You can get them all off eBay from China for cheap.

Ahh yes. I haven't about auto top off yet. I've been adding about a cup every 2 days or so. I doubt there's anything out there that would work for a 2-3 gal. I may DIY one at some point. Keep me posted if you find something!

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of people swear by the Tunze osmolator (non-nano one). It has an electronic eye to detect water level.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-osmolator-universal-3155-auto-top-off.html

I have heard good things about this one too. It also has an electronic eye:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/autoaqua-smart-ato-auto-top-off-system.html

If you absolutely want it cheap, you can DIY. Get a relay, some float switches, a 12v transformer (spare cell phone charger), some wires, an electrical extension cord, and a TOMS aqualifter. You can get them all off eBay from China for cheap.

Thanks for these! i'll definitely look into these. Will probably skip DIY if these are available.

How is the flow in this tank?

Are you using the lights it came with?

Hi Amy. The flow is okay. I have soft corals so it's seems to be enough for them. The lights are upgraded. Finnex is the brand. 10inch version. See the original post for other details.

JBJ modular surface skimmer will greatly improve surface skimming. I have it on my spec III and I love it .

Note: I had to glue it in place.

Hi JBB,

Can you tell me what size modular skimmer you're using for your fluval spec? The one in your link to amazon seemed a little big for a spec 3. Let me know thanks!

Hi Amy. The flow is okay. I have soft corals so it's seems to be enough for them. The lights are upgraded. Finnex is the brand. 10inch version. See the original post for other details.

Hi JBB,

Can you tell me what size modular skimmer you're using for your fluval spec? The one in your link to amazon seemed a little big for a spec 3. Let me know thanks!

The one in the link is the exact one I have.

The 12-24g

2 weeks into the mini reef and did first water change at 20% along with minor additions.

Got this fuzzy mushroom thing for $10 and it looks really cool under blue lights. Finding lots of zoas growing out of the live rock. Popped the candy cane coral off that unsightly ceramic disk thing.

One thing I'm trying this week is using the lamp fixture 'legs' instead of putting the light directly on top of the lid. So now it's an open top and the light isn't blasting the corals. We'll see what happens.

Going to the fishstores today to find a pistol shrimp.

23040847655_ddff5446b4_b.jpg

Water params look pretty damn sweet.

22648632929_40b871845a_b.jpg

For what it's worth, I'm using the Tunze Ozmolator Nano, no eye, but the float is really good, and it takes up very little room. The pump for it is crazy loud though.

Not a lot to report, other than my green star polyps not opening up after several days. There was a aiptasia on the rock that may have been disturbing it so broke that part of the rock off to remove it completely. There are some small hints of corraline starting to grow which is always good to see.

Picked up another mushroom of some sort pictured at the bottom and to the left. Still looking for a pistol shrimp.

22478125943_97c99da5b7_b.jpg

Lookin good :D ! i just started a spec III 16 days ago myself. Do you like your light? i have a finnex on my FW planted Spec V, i love it other than the fact you cant put a timer on both the blue and whites..

if your looking for a pump upgrade at any point 100gph: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AVL8LI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It fits like a charm.

Thanks! The spec 3 is perfect. The finnex light is doing really well. Didn't think it produced a lot of light but it's actually pretty strong. You're right about controlling lights. I put a timer and have blue come on, leave for work and turn white on as well. It's a routine but seems to work.

I bought a small tunze that I put a timer on that is working really well. It's the smallest one I could fine and seems to work well.

Looking at getting one of these today, just not sure yet. Can you tell me, the store says the actual aquarium space not including the filter area is 6.5" x 6.5" x 9" is this true?

I am keeping softies, rics and a couple chalice which do not like high light would I be able to get away with the light it comes with and add an all blue strip on there for these types of corals?

Looking at getting one of these today, just not sure yet. Can you tell me, the store says the actual aquarium space not including the filter area is 6.5" x 6.5" x 9" is this true?

I am keeping softies, rics and a couple chalice which do not like high light would I be able to get away with the light it comes with and add an all blue strip on there for these types of corals?

Hi Amy,

Are you looking at the Spec 2? I ask because the spec 3 dimensions are larger. See the amazon link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Spec-Aquarium-2-6-Gallon-Black/dp/B009K0ZKAQ

I'm not sure about the spec 2 lighting, but the spec 3 light is not too great. Low light corals are fine, but the thing is the actual light is NOT waterproof and from what I've read the lights will burn out because of the evaporation that will happen. The light sits pretty close to the water and I've read that the lights will burn out in a few months. This was the primary reason i bought the Finnex because it is water proof.

You should upgrade lighting regardless if you are keeping corals. Having the blue lights built in the fixture is much easier than having multiple sets of lights.

Hope this helps.

Yes that is the one on amazon spec 3

Ohh sorry i misread your post. The ACTUAL aquarium space without the filter area is what you wanted to know. Sorry. I'm not exactly sure.

No worries, I bought it today and set it up just moved everything over from the existing tank. Love the look of it so much but have a bit to many corals for it so will have to part with some which I don't mind.

I will have to see how the stock flow is for what I have so far so good but its to soon to tell for sure.

I am able to add my all blue LED strip onto the fixture so that is nice, I quite like the light it comes with now will see how the corals I have respond to it, if its not enough I have more strips and they don't look tacky on the existing light either but time will tell.

JBJ modular surface skimmer will greatly improve surface skimming. I have it on my spec III and I love it .

Note: I had to glue it in place.

JBB, I have to thank you for this. I just glued one of these on my tank and it works great!! Thanks again for this!

23154300846_494ec2f7c1.jpg

Side note, my green star polyps are still not opening and in some ways it looks like it's starting die off. Will post pics but was wondering if anyone had polyps die off? i bought a new pump and it's circulating water really well, but still doesn't seem to help. All other corals are flourishing.

It took me forever to find gsp that would do well for me . Some would look great at the store and never open for me . I'm not sure why they do that .

The last frag I bought has done great , but my tank is the same as it was for the other frags .

Wish I knew the answer.

JBB, I have to thank you for this. I just glued one of these on my tank and it works great!! Thanks again for this!.

I'm glad it worked for you , I think it is a major improvement for the tank.

Some new shots. Bough some Xenia to see how they'll do.

New pump added along with overflow. I am officially 3 weeks into the tank and it's been great thus far. Have some hair algae growing so I had water tested, but hopefully I can starve them out. Had my local shop test for nitrates and phosphates and both at 0.

22623599504_9075ce5fb0_b.jpg

The overflow in action.

22624889393_59df1fd013_b.jpg

One question for the forum readers. So I just learned that I need to go out of town for a little over a week and I am currently looking into purchasing an auto feeder for the goby and an auto-top off.

The fluval spec is small and I was wondering what recommendations you guys would make for these products? Thanks in advance!

Happy Thanksgiving folks!

Minor updates:

Got another polyp frag and new snails of some sort that have cleared all hair algae! There's one on the top left rock that. Would highly recommend these if i knew the name LOL. The nerite snails are pretty much worthless, although they look cool

23286647486_9447cd61a0_h.jpg

Xenia seem to be doing well.

23230196151_6dcd6d8f87_h.jpg

Archived