inTank Media Baskets

Fluval Spec 3 Pico Reef

Tuffryu

Overall how do you like that doser?

I was looking at the same unit on amazon, but didn't want to pull the trigger until I learned more about it.

Hi Droy, I like it very much.

But then again, I have no previous experience with other dosing machines so I can't really give you a good baseline to compare with. I found that it was very easy to set up and to get running. I've had no mechanical issues with it yet like the previous version had with pumps, air bubbles etc. It's pretty cheap and definitely worth the price thus far. You may want to ask me again in 3 months :)

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vertex mag probe holder came in today. Thank goodness because before this thing came in, I tied tubes from the dosing unit to the heater and lamp so that they would drip into the tank. Ghetto.

The magnets are so strong, I almost snapped my finger in between. I pinched my finger slightly and damn did it hurt LOL. I have to say this probably one of the most durable and well crafted things I've purchased for this tank yet. I have to add additional tubing in the holes as normal tube diameter was too thin.

Really nice accessory. Thanks for telling me about this Teeny!

24617973545_c6980af3ff_h.jpg

23991178543_86f7565a22_h.jpg

You're welcome! That looks really nice in there :)

BTW Teeny, do your dosing tubes ever fill with air bubbles? Both of mine do but it still pumps normally. I calibrate and push liquid thru manually but still happens.

It doesn't effect the dosing, but it is a little concerning.

BTW Teeny, do your dosing tubes ever fill with air bubbles? Both of mine do but it still pumps normally. I calibrate and push liquid thru manually but still happens.

It doesn't effect the dosing, but it is a little concerning.

Yes, mine do to but it doesn't affect the dosing. It happens because when you first fill the system up with fluid, unless the entire tube is vertical, the air gets stuck in bubbles in various spots. They do seem to work their way out eventually, though.

Yes, mine do to but it doesn't affect the dosing. It happens because when you first fill the system up with fluid, unless the entire tube is vertical, the air gets stuck in bubbles in various spots. They do seem to work their way out eventually, though.

Good to know, thanks as always for the feedback!

Damn it's Friday finally. Happy Friday!

In this update, I'm going Astreopora on ya'll. That guy is really green, alongside the stylophora. I'm probably butchering the spelling of these corals but who cares.

24598305271_6058102d1d_h.jpg

I was cleaning and water changing this week and broke some of the monti branches unfortunately when I was taking out the circulation pump so I have some newly created frags all over the place. I'm replacing the big ass Cobalt pump with the Hydor Koralia 240 which should be coming in today.

View from the top. The far right monti was 1 of 2 that broke but he's coming back which is always good to see.

24691815725_a5e678b8e3_h.jpg

Go Denver!

Holy SPS Batman! Very timid to try SPS in my CAD when it gets going. Maybe just some montis

Ha, yea I am an SPS fan. Don't have anything too exotic yet, but it's been fun.

Ha, yea I am an SPS fan. Don't have anything too exotic yet, but it's been fun.

You totally need some Golden or jack-o-lantern Leptoseris! Very cool 24k gold color

Vertex mag probe holder came in today. Thank goodness because before this thing came in, I tied tubes from the dosing unit to the heater and lamp so that they would drip into the tank. Ghetto.

The magnets are so strong, I almost snapped my finger in between. I pinched my finger slightly and damn did it hurt LOL. I have to say this probably one of the most durable and well crafted things I've purchased for this tank yet. I have to add additional tubing in the holes as normal tube diameter was too thin.

Really nice accessory. Thanks for telling me about this Teeny!

24617973545_c6980af3ff_h.jpg

23991178543_86f7565a22_h.jpg

Jebao / vertex holder is the same combo I had running . Works great.

Tank is making me jealous

Jebao / vertex holder is the same combo I had running . Works great.

Tank is making me jealous

Thanks jbb!! appreciate it!

You totally need some Golden or jack-o-lantern Leptoseris! Very cool 24k gold color

Will have to check them out, thanks prawn!

New pump - Hydor Koralia 240 - is awesome to say the least. Quiet, compact, and strong.

24387347759_a88c5d429f_h.jpg

The valida acropora is showing growth but not extending much - even at night. So I fragged a few branches and put them in different parts of the tank to see what works best.

That clownfish is all over the candy coral. Wasn't sure, but is this normal?

24639118012_b62d5f7c74_h.jpg

Loving my nitrates.

24706866836_51ace8787b_h.jpg

Happy Monday :(

Boring post but it's probably not surprising to hear that the dosing pump works and the magnesium salt does too :)

The dosing pump has been going for over a week now and it's been running well. The mag salt is used in the top off water with the ATO. I bought some two little fishies acropower amino acid stuff I wanted to try out so I am going to use another pump to dose that as well. If anyone has experience with acropower I'd love to hear about it.

Alkalinity @ 8.5dkh

Calcium @ 420ppm

Magnesium @ 1500ppm

24693671791_a465c1b704_h.jpg

I've got the power.

So this stuff came in today, and I went ahead and hooked it into the dosing pump. We'll see what happens over the next few weeks. I'm dosing 1ml every 3 days.

24708928162_5538556a00_h.jpg

The goby made a rare appearance in front of the tank. Considering trading the clownfish back to the LFS for something else. I'm sure it's normal, but I'm not really digging how he's squirming all over corals - primarily the candy cane, and yellow polyps. I don't plan on buying anemones either so... yea I may to get rid of him :(

24199945983_de734b808d_h.jpg

Happy Friday!!!!!!!!

I've got the power.

So this stuff came in today, and I went ahead and hooked it into the dosing pump. We'll see what happens over the next few weeks. I'm dosing 1ml every 3 days.

24708928162_5538556a00_h.jpg

The goby made a rare appearance in front of the tank. Considering trading the clownfish back to the LFS for something else. I'm sure it's normal, but I'm not really digging how he's squirming all over corals - primarily the candy cane, and yellow polyps. I don't plan on buying anemones either so... yea I may to get rid of him :(

24199945983_de734b808d_h.jpg

Happy Friday!!!!!!!!

Looks great! Your clown is looking for something to host. Mine get into the zoas all the time :lol:

I've used acropower and like it. But you will get lots of algae growth if you dose too much at a time.

Looks great! Your clown is looking for something to host. Mine get into the zoas all the time :lol:

I've used acropower and like it. But you will get lots of algae growth if you dose too much at a time.

Thanks Teeny.

So i traded the clown for a firefish goby yesterday. Firefish was doing great, but this morning was found dead :( probably from the watchman goby. Sucks. RIP

Good to know about acropower and algae. I've been reading that it causes it but haven't understood why. I'll do a little less than prescribed on the bottle.

One question I had for you teeny, so the bottle says to shake before dosing. I'm using the dosing pump, but wondering if I should do this manually instead? What do you think?

Sorry about the firefish. I had one a long time ago but he went carpet surfing :(

I dose my acropower manually. I agree, using a dosing pump seems like a bad idea for something that has to be shaken before use.

I've also tried Aquavitro Fuel, which is a similar product. It doesn't seem to cause as much algae growth and doesn't need to be shaken. But it has to be refrigerated, so it won't work in a dosing pump either.

Growth!!!

Okay, I like when things are growing - just like most of you I'm sure - so I thought I'd post the state of the livestock.

Blue mushroom thingy has split into 2.

24633495400_7ef26cd435_h.jpg

This candy cane is growing another head and splitting a head as well.

24561341439_eacab250ef_h.jpg

Bird's nest!

This thing is growing every which way. Both green and purple Pocillopora look like they're growing afros.

24835629861_f6272b85b0_h.jpg

This GSP piece has some grotesque looking thing poking out lol.

24302111933_56d00f2609_h.jpg

Monti caps, digitatas, setosa, pavona, and stylophora are all doing well.

24811008152_0e237a37d9_h.jpg

I have a feeling the Acropower is working. A few of these corals are showing very recent growth such as the acropora valida. I'm also doing less light per day. I was doing about 13 hours, but have shortened that time to 10. Corals all seem happier.

It's too bad I have to go out of town for a little over a week :(

Might come home to some dead corals. The ATO and doser are all running well so we'll see what happens.

Hey guys! I started my reef and have a GSP, Frogspawn and a Yellow Clown Goby. Everything has been running smoothly and i just wanted to thank both Tuffryu and Teenyreef for the loads of advice and direction to make my first reefing experience super enjoyable!

Tuffryu, keep up the pictures! I love looking at your tank and hope that one day i can get mine stocked with a wide variety of lush corals like yours one day.

Hey guys! I started my reef and have a GSP, Frogspawn and a Yellow Clown Goby. Everything has been running smoothly and i just wanted to thank both Tuffryu and Teenyreef for the loads of advice and direction to make my first reefing experience super enjoyable!

Tuffryu, keep up the pictures! I love looking at your tank and hope that one day i can get mine stocked with a wide variety of lush corals like yours one day.

Thats awesome news shinjo, congrats on the tank! Sounds like you're off to a good start. Make sure you keep track of your progress.

I've been on vacation for the past 1.5 weeks so I haven't been doing much. Glad to hear the tank is up and running.

Vacations are great...but...there's always the thought about your tank crashing and such. Luckily, I came back after 12 days to find the tank running perfectly. Woo hoo!

24572128614_4591fbc86f_h.jpg

A few days before my trip, I finally came across a tiger pistol shrimp I'd been searching for. I put this guy in the tank and he immediately started digging EVERYWHERE. The best sand stirrer to say the least.

The goby came out after a few mins and they paired up quickly. It was pretty cool to watch. The shrimp digs everything up and it looks like they've settled into a small cave under the main rock.

25109553621_8a60a70aba_h.jpg

Bahamas.

Snorkeling with gorgeous tangs.

I'll miss you. Till next time.

25176569176_d46b0124c2_h.jpg

Hey guys,

I'm a few drinks in, but hey...it's humpday...and Hell's kitchen is coming on soon so I need to do something until it comes on.

Some updates for those that want to know - yes mainly you teeny LOL. So I bought some more frags, orange digitata frags. I also bought an emerald crab as I had some bubble algae spots and wanted to give her a try.

Let me tell you...the tank, after a day, is clear of ALL bubble algae. Incredible. All the BS written about these emerald crabs eating corals is in fact BS. I watched her closely for hours after I put her in, and she is is very careful about picking in and around corals to get every bit of food/algae/etc that's available. It was very fun to watch and it may have to do with the fact that it's a young, female crab - which was the advice given.

25128773132_2970912c3c_h.jpg

The watchmen/pistol shrimp relationship is AMAZING to see. I can watch these guys all day. The shrimp is digging all day and the goby is watching him. What I didn't realize is that the goby collects food and takes it to the shrimp to eat. So cool.

25247055605_49c587a7a7_b.jpg

Finally, the frags. If you can find the hermit crab, you can see a couple of orange pieces glued to the rock he's sitting on. They're looking much better today with polyps extending. I need to cut the birds nest back pretty soon.

24879372729_224b4a609f_h.jpg

Finally some boring stuff. Numbers look pretty good. I did the water change in the morning and tested everything in the evening. The Mag seems a little high, but I'm not sure what the effects are.

24621044063_c39a83993e_h.jpg

Thanks.

Archived