inTank Media Baskets

Fluval Spec 3 Pico Reef

Tuffryu

Hey guys,
thanks for letting me share my pico reef in-progress. It was difficult to find a relevant place to keep an on-going journal but glad I came across this site. I just started my pico reef about a week and half ago and it's been doing very well thus far. The fluval spec is a great tank with chambers in the back and some really great water flow for basic soft corals. My plan for this tank is to keep low light livestock with a watchman/pistol shrimp combo.
Initial setup:
I removed the carbon that came with it and replaced it with bio matrix in both chambers. The cured live rock was purchased from my local fishstore along with RODI water. The live sand and all other equipment was purchased off Amazon.com. I used Instant Ocean to get the water up to .023-4, and added rock/sand the same day.
The interesting part about the set up and cycle process is that it went super fast. I had little to no die-off as the rock was transported in water, and the bag for the sand was never opened or rinsed. I had a very small ammonia spike a couple of days after initial setup. Tested a few days later and few days after again with all readings showing zero.
Just yesterday I added a yellow watchman goby, snails, and a green zoa. There were several zoas popping out of the live rock after the first week. I replaced the stock light with the Finnex LED version and it is working very welll. I'll keep updating this post as much as possible. Thanks for letting me share my reef!
Equipment
Fluval Spec 3 - 2.6 gal
4 lbs live rock
CaribSea aragonite live sand - Fiji pink
RODI Instant Ocean
Aqueon 50 heater
Finnex 10 inch LED lighting
SeaChem bio matrix
Nano mag scrubber
22918331991_78a78fce83_b.jpg

22907489145_2160c5e7a6_k.jpg

22515357019_fff8bd7a32_k.jpg

22881205286_54d26d333e_b.jpg

22881589626_877937d19a_k.jpg

post-89645-0-46193200-1447097841_thumb.jpg

post-89645-0-57192800-1447097843_thumb.jpg

post-89645-0-63703600-1447097845_thumb.jpg

post-89645-0-84732400-1447097847_thumb.jpg

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks TFish77! Spent quite a bit of time chiseling the rock and epoxying them to create something cool. Will keep posting.

Testing embed feature. (different angle)

22284459064_35f3e45370_b.jpg

Thanks TFish77! Spent quite a bit of time chiseling the rock and epoxying them to create something cool. Will keep posting.

Testing embed feature. (different angle)

22284459064_35f3e45370_b.jpg

That really looks awesome. Aquascaping in my opinion is one of the most crucial aspects of the hobby and you seem to have a knack for it, especially in something that small. I spent 6 hours scaping my main tank and the damn thing is 20g lol.

Good choice on the matrix by seachem. I run a similar product by red sea and seems to give me better results than just live rock. I am assuming you are just going to fill the overflow box with these. Also any plans to run carbon? Just curious.

JBJ modular surface skimmer will greatly improve surface skimming. I have it on my spec III and I love it .

Note: I had to glue it in place.

Hmmm you had to glue it? I know those things are awesome but in the one I did the overflow seemed to suck the surface skimmer against the wall. I never glued it because I assumed that was by design. Either way good product.

Hmmm you had to glue it? I know those things are awesome but in the one I did the overflow seemed to suck the surface skimmer against the wall. I never glued it because I assumed that was by design. Either way good product.

On the nanocube that it was made for there was a lip that kept it from sliding up. On the spec it doesn't quite have that same amount of water pressure to hold it firmly against the back wall. I used a tiny dot of super glue in each corner to hold it. It comes off fairly easily if you need to remove it .

did the same thing on a larger tank and it worked perfect. just used a dab a glue like he said. they tend to me kinda hard to find or at least it was for me

On the nanocube that it was made for there was a lip that kept it from sliding up. On the spec it doesn't quite have that same amount of water pressure to hold it firmly against the back wall. I used a tiny dot of super glue in each corner to hold it. It comes off fairly easily if you need to remove it .

Gotcha. I think the one I built was a jbj 14 or so and even on that I did consider gluing it in. Works great though.

That really looks awesome. Aquascaping in my opinion is one of the most crucial aspects of the hobby and you seem to have a knack for it, especially in something that small. I spent 6 hours scaping my main tank and the damn thing is 20g lol.

Good choice on the matrix by seachem. I run a similar product by red sea and seems to give me better results than just live rock. I am assuming you are just going to fill the overflow box with these. Also any plans to run carbon? Just curious.

Thanks again for the comments! I like taking time to ensure the rocks are placed correctly rather than just throwing them in against the back overflow. It took time to ensure the rock didn't touch any part of the glass.

No plans to run carbon just yet. I used the same sponge in the overflow and filled the 2 chambers with matrix rocks. Seems to be working well.

You are off to a great start Tuffryu!!

JBJ modular surface skimmer will greatly improve surface skimming. I have it on my spec III and I love it .

Does it work better than InTank's surface skimmer? Or did you just use the JBJ one because its what you had on hand?

Adjustable.jpg

http://www.shop.mediabaskets.com/Fluval-Spec-Surface-Skimmer-FLSSS.htm

I am in no way affiliated with the Finnex product, however i do use the Finnex 10 inch and found this nifty chart that explains the PAR level variations for different depths. I know quite a few people were looking around for info on Finnex in various forum threads so hopefully this helps.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/145-finnex/189944-finnex-ray-ii-fugeray-par-data.html

22306458914_93fc5a3fd3_b.jpg

Those crazy looking blue lights.

22510977198_335c4e7beb_c.jpg

Test, test, test....looking pretty good.

22929271635_ba45b53770_c.jpg

I am in no way affiliated with the Finnex product, however i do use the Finnex 10 inch and found this nifty chart that explains the PAR level variations for different depths. I know quite a few people were looking around for info on Finnex in various forum threads so hopefully this helps.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/145-finnex/189944-finnex-ray-ii-fugeray-par-data.html

22306458914_93fc5a3fd3_b.jpg

Those crazy looking blue lights.

22510977198_335c4e7beb_c.jpg

Test, test, test....looking pretty good.

22929271635_ba45b53770_c.jpg

Did you test nitrates?

I just acquired a fluval spec 2! Pretty much the same tank. Does the heater you got fit in the return chamber? Also will you be adding an ATO? If so I really want to know what will fit! If only the smart ATO micro was available........

I just acquired a fluval spec 2! Pretty much the same tank. Does the heater you got fit in the return chamber? Also will you be adding an ATO? If so I really want to know what will fit! If only the smart ATO micro was available........

Thats a cool tank, but too small for me lol. The heater fits perfectly in the chamber on my tank although I'm not sure if it will fit the spec 2. What's an ATO?

What does it do? Does it basically just move the grille higher up, closer to the water surface?

Auto-Top-Off. Detects water level and pumps freshwater into your tank to make up for evaporation.

Thats a cool tank, but too small for me lol. The heater fits perfectly in the chamber on my tank although I'm not sure if it will fit the spec 2. What's an ATO?

What does it do? Does it basically just move the grille higher up, closer to the water surface?

Auto-Top-Off. Detects water level and pumps freshwater into your tank to make up for evaporation.

Ahh yes. I haven't about auto top off yet. I've been adding about a cup every 2 days or so. I doubt there's anything out there that would work for a 2-3 gal. I may DIY one at some point. Keep me posted if you find something!

Archived