Coral Vue Hydros

Fluval Spec 3 Pico Reef

Tuffryu

One question for the forum readers. So I just learned that I need to go out of town for a little over a week and I am currently looking into purchasing an auto feeder for the goby and an auto-top off.

The fluval spec is small and I was wondering what recommendations you guys would make for these products? Thanks in advance!

Wish I could help you with an auto feeder suggestion. I have a Spec V and have not found anything suitable for it yet either. What is the model on that small tunze pump you added for more flow?

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wish I could help you with an auto feeder suggestion. I have a Spec V and have not found anything suitable for it yet either. What is the model on that small tunze pump you added for more flow?

Hey Texan, the model is 5024. It's perfect for pico/nano.

Updates.

I wasn't happy with the Finnex as it has too many white bulbs so I decided to do a major upgrade and went with Fluval's new Halo lamp. This thing is awesome. 2 modes - blue and blue/white. The lamp is dimmable and I didn't use the stand but rather just have it sitting on top of the plexiglass that came with the spec 3. The dimmer is great, but more importantly the unit itself makes the corals look spectacular highlighting much more color.

I was considering the nanabox mini, but couldn't bring myself to spend $300 on a lamp. The Halo was $100 and it works fine. Finally got some green star polyps that opened up which is nice to see. Nitrates at zero.

22777944583_1ffbf3df74_b.jpg

22776740904_fabd451e52_b.jpg

23296271972_d0312dfbb0_h.jpg

23108964830_eae48a6a93_h.jpg

Lookin good :D ! i just started a spec III 16 days ago myself. Do you like your light? i have a finnex on my FW planted Spec V, i love it other than the fact you cant put a timer on both the blue and whites..

if your looking for a pump upgrade at any point 100gph: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AVL8LI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It fits like a charm.

No modifications to make that Hydor pump fit? I have the larger 160gph one and its a no go.

No modifications to make that Hydor pump fit? I have the larger 160gph one and its a no go.

Not for the 100gph unit, fits perfectly. its almost the exact same size. I turned the flow down a tad as well.

Updates.

I wasn't happy with the Finnex as it has too many white bulbs so I decided to do a major upgrade and went with Fluvial's new Halo lamp. This thing is awesome. 2 modes - blue and blue/white. The lamp is dimmable and I didn't use the stand but rather just have it sitting on top of the plexiglass that came with the spec 3. The dimmer is great, but the unit itself makes the corals look spectacular.

I was considering the nanabox mini, but couldn't bring myself to spend $300 on a lamp. The Halo was $100 and it works fine.

That light looks awesome! Can you set timers for both day and night??

That light looks awesome! Can you set timers for both day and night??

No unfortunately not. So i just have light attached to a timer and have both come on during the day and manually switch to blue lights when i get home in the evening. The timers like this are what cost extra i think.

I have the pump on a timer that turns on a intermittently through out the day (about 8 times) for an hour duration each. No mods made. I have it blowing behind the reef at the back of aquarium.

Now that i have the right light, i thought i would put my novice reef keeping to the test and try some Acropora :)

I got a $5 pocillopora frag seen here that looks pretty happy. From what i understand, the fuzziness means good.

We'll see how it goes in a few weeks. All i can say is that the challenge of doing hard corals in a pico is intriguing to say the least.

22914064613_bb12c39432_h.jpg

23173204529_8560ab22bb_h.jpg

Eagle has landed :)

it's actually a bird's nest frag that I thought I'd post as an update. Bought some Kalkwasser, but returned it and decided to go with manual dosing of two little fishies stuff A/B stuff after consulting with forum mentors Merth and JBB.

I ordered the Smart micro ATO system as well and looking forward to seeing how that works.

And in other news, I am seriously considering upgrading to a 10 gal innovative marine system. The reefing bug has hit me pretty hard and i am looking to get into an all stony environment. We'll see what Santa brings lol.

23029241523_58eb3f3d57_b.jpg

23547755922_ef3cda7418_b.jpg

Starting the little fishies dosing last week. Doing it every few days and I can literally see the difference - multiplying polyps, much more activity with GSP, etc etc.

Latest addition is a pavona frag on the top left that seems to be doing pretty good. Bought my upgrade tank off craigslist (eheim aquastyle 9 gal) that I am now testing for leaks and stuff. Hope to set that up in the next couple of weeks and transfer all contents shown here into that tank. We'll see what happens.

23474905140_fca1fb11d7_h.jpg

Eagle has landed :)

it's actually a bird's nest frag that I thought I'd post as an update. Bought some Kalkwasser, but returned it and decided to go with manual dosing of two little fishies stuff A/B stuff after consulting with forum mentors Merth and JBB.

I ordered the Smart micro ATO system as well and looking forward to seeing how that works.

And in other news, I am seriously considering upgrading to a 10 gal innovative marine system. The reefing bug has hit me pretty hard and i am looking to get into an all stony environment. We'll see what Santa brings lol.

23029241523_58eb3f3d57_b.jpg

23547755922_ef3cda7418_b.jpg

I'm am heavily considering also ordering the smart micro ATO. Looks like they will be released on the 18th!! A little late for my trip, but it will be a great thing to have for future trips! Your tank is looking stunning so far. The blue mushie on the sandbed is my favorite. :wub:

I'm am heavily considering also ordering the smart micro ATO. Looks like they will be released on the 18th!! A little late for my trip, but it will be a great thing to have for future trips! Your tank is looking stunning so far. The blue mushie on the sandbed is my favorite. :wub:

Ahhh thank you Merthynia!

I ordered it and yes hopefully it will be here soon. I will post updates on how it works out. I have trip coming up in Feb and hopefully it will work out.

Ahhh thank you Merthynia!

I ordered it and yes hopefully it will be here soon. I will post updates on how it works out. I have trip coming up in Feb and hopefully it will work out.

Awesome, I look forwards to what you think of it for sure! Trips are very stressful for reefers, there are so many things that could go wrong. :scarry:

Water and sand added to the 9 gallon :) Can't wait - I probably should have started with this size. Don't worry folks, I won't start another boring nano thread but instead I'll just update this one. The plan is to simply move the entire live rock piece directly into the new tank. Hopefully it works out lol.

Here's the breakdown.

• Eheim 9 gallon Aquastyle tank
  • Carib sea live sand - will have approximately 8 lbs when i add the sand from the fluval spec
  • Aquaclear 20 HOB
  • Chemipure elite in chamber
  • Cobalt 400 pump
  • Live rock from previous tank and about 2-3 lbs of reef rubble

23868640075_b7e4acf1b5_b.jpg

Glueing rubble to make shelves. I think I'm going to DIY a protein skimmer using the container of the epoxy. It's the perfect length and diameter.

23245124503_53bec37bb0_b.jpg

Happy Holidays everyone!!!

Water and sand added to the 9 gallon :) Can't wait - I probably should have started with this size. Don't worry folks, I won't start another boring nano thread but instead I'll just update this one. The plan is to simply move the entire live rock piece directly into the new tank. Hopefully it works out lol.

Here's the breakdown.

• Eheim 9 gallon Aquastyle tank
  • Carib sea live sand - will have approximately 8 lbs when i add the sand from the fluval spec
  • Aquaclear 20 HOB
  • Chemipure elite in chamber
  • Cobalt 400 pump
  • Live rock from previous tank and about 2-3 lbs of reef rubble

23868640075_b7e4acf1b5_b.jpg

Glueing rubble to make shelves. I think I'm going to DIY a protein skimmer using the container of the epoxy. It's the perfect length and diameter.

23245124503_53bec37bb0_b.jpg

Happy Holidays everyone!!!

Came back to check in on how you were doing and see you started another tank! Its inevitable :-p. I don't care if you get a 1000g tank... its never big enough. Must... have... more.. .corals...

How are all of your sps doing under that light? Everything looks great.

Came back to check in on how you were doing and see you started another tank! Its inevitable :-p. I don't care if you get a 1000g tank... its never big enough. Must... have... more.. .corals...

How are all of your sps doing under that light? Everything looks great.

Thanks for the comments TFish!

the stonies are all doing really well. I just hope they look like this when I transfer the entire piece of rock over to the larger tank lol. Yes more corals are always a must, but I am learning that I like frags moreso than large mature pieces.

23265983663_f6fae2ab4d_b.jpg

Tank looks great! I just ordered everything including a Fusion 10 for my first reef tank, waiting on delivery... How's the maintenance? Any tips for aquascaping? Did you use the epoxy and super glue gel?

Tank looks great! I just ordered everything including a Fusion 10 for my first reef tank, waiting on delivery... How's the maintenance? Any tips for aquascaping? Did you use the epoxy and super glue gel?

Hi lostsol,

Thanks for the comments!. That's an awesome tank you have. I'm sure you'll really like it. For my aquascaping I am using two little fishies epoxy for the rocks. I use it underwater as well as on the dry rubble pictured in the previous post. When i use it underwater, I apply a good bit on when I am branching off rocks in a vertical location and make sure I hold it in place for a few minutes. Then, I support the piece I am glueing with another piece of rock until it dries - about 24 hours.

I only use super glue gel for attaching corals to rubble rocks, then i use attach rubble with epoxy to the main pieces in the tank. I am beginning to find more pests and crap with the plugs that are used by the fish stores so I dip the corals, detach them from plugs and reattach them to rubble, and THEN i epoxy them to the main rocks in the tank.

Good luck.

Okay some updates on the transfer to the 9 gal.

I have to admit, that was some scary ass shit to go through but I think everyone survived with just a few upset corals. Love the additional space. Planning to do some more aquascaping tonight.

I attached the Fluval light hang-on arm and it's working like a champ. I think the light was actually burning the corals in the spec 3 even at the lowest dimmed position.

23802123722_f7b650d67f_b.jpg

This morning the dust settles.

Corals are just laying out everywhere but all in all they look okay. I also dumped the watchmen in and he's swimming around like crazy. Probably likes the extra space as well.

The main rock fell over so lots of frags fell off as well, so I'll be doing epoxy work tonight. Gonna DIY a skimmer today as well.

23614737360_c1d1f62d9f_b.jpg

Okay some updates on the transfer to the 9 gal.

I have to admit, that was some scary ass shit to go through but I think everyone survived with just a few upset corals. Love the additional space. Planning to do some more aquascaping tonight.

I attached the Fluval light hang-on arm and it's working like a champ. I think the light was actually burning the corals in the spec 3 even at the lowest dimmed position.

23802123722_f7b650d67f_b.jpg

This morning the dust settles.

Corals are just laying out everywhere but all in all they look okay. I also dumped the watchmen in and he's swimming around like crazy. Probably likes the extra space as well.

The main rock fell over so lots of frags fell off as well, so I'll be doing epoxy work tonight. Gonna DIY a skimmer today as well.

23614737360_c1d1f62d9f_b.jpg

Looking good man. Actually looks like you could add some more room for rock work if you wanted to as well. Just my opinion (Room for more corals lol).

Keep up the good work.

Looking good man. Actually looks like you could add some more room for rock work if you wanted to as well. Just my opinion (Room for more corals lol).

Keep up the good work.

Thanks man, appreciate the comments!

I am in the process of glueing rubble together to make shelves and probably another island off to the side. Want to build it up taller as well as I want to do only SPS from this point on. Got tired of softies pretty quick.

Thanks man, appreciate the comments!

I am in the process of glueing rubble together to make shelves and probably another island off to the side. Want to build it up taller as well as I want to do only SPS from this point on. Got tired of softies pretty quick.

Ah got yah. Very smart glueing all the rocks together. I have had to move my smaller tanks a couple times for various reasons and that decision has been a god send.

All sps huh? That should be fun. Any ideas on the types yet?

Ah got yah. Very smart glueing all the rocks together. I have had to move my smaller tanks a couple times for various reasons and that decision has been a god send.

All sps huh? That should be fun. Any ideas on the types yet?

I will probably stick to the easier ones. Currently have in the tank a birds nest, pavona, pocillapora, and monti cap. Will likely stick with different species within this set.

Archived