inTank Media Baskets

NanoBox Duo Series

DaveFason

A 24" light will never work over a 60" tank. Even two Duos will leave significant shadowing, you'll definitely require T5 at that point.

yup thats why 4 T5's would be added inside the canopy aswell.

• 1 month later...

Dave, do you have PAR readings at the lowest dimmable level for the Quad?

It likely wouldn't even pick up on a sensor, the Bluefish is 12-bit PWM, though you can manually set a 0.1% (so ~4/4095) and four arrays give almost no light at all.

It likely wouldn't even pick up on a sensor, the Bluefish is 12-bit PWM, though you can manually set a 0.1% (so ~4/4095) and four arrays give almost no light at all.

Just because the bluefish can output that, doesn't mean the light will operate at that point. Don't get me wrong, it's great if it can do that, just trying to figure out how low this fixture could go.
jedimasterben

Just because the bluefish can output that, doesn't mean the light will operate at that point. Don't get me wrong, it's great if it can do that, just trying to figure out how low this fixture could go.

The LDD drivers used can pulse even shorter than the Bluefish is capable of and are linear across their duty cycle (with a +/-3% tolerance). :)

• Like 1

Like Ben said, you turn down to having no light output but still see the LEDs on.

Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...
jedimasterben

Dave, how many watts the max output of Nanobox Duo Plus M? I'm calculating the wattages of all my equipment before I get a UPS battery backup.

You will never have a battery backup large enough to run more than a pump for just a few hours. I have a 700VA APC battery backup that will run a pump drawing 4 watts of power for around 8 hours.

You will never have a battery backup large enough to run more than a pump for just a few hours. I have a 700VA APC battery backup that will run a pump drawing 4 watts of power for around 8 hours.

Sorry typo. I mean surge protector, and NOT UPS battery backup.

The UPS battery backup just to run 175 watts heater.

jedimasterben

Sorry typo. I mean surge protector, and NOT UPS battery backup.

The UPS battery backup just to run 175 watts heater.

A duo is only gonna run maybe 50-55 watts. A surge protector's max output will be dependent on your home's wiring, but most I'd keep less than about kilowatt or so. If you're looking for the amount of surge protection, get the one with the highest joule rating possible. I recommend this Belkin model https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-BE112230-08-12-Outlet-Surge-Protector/dp/B000J2EN4S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1477226572&sr=8-3&keywords=surge+protector We use them almost exclusively at work as we replace old ones and have had significantly less failures of desktops as a result.

For a battery backup for your heater, you'll need to spend so many thousands of dollars to get any respectable runtime that it is not worth it. That same battery 700VA battery backup (which cost me around $220), will run a 175w heater for 24 minutes. In that time, the tank's temperature would not have fallen any (except in very specific circumstances, such as an extreme temperature differential or active cooling on top of the tank). I would put your money elsewhere, like DC battery backups for your powerheads, which will run them for 24-48 hours and are linkable for even longer runtime.

• Like 1

When a heater has 175 watts output, it does not mean when it runs at any level of temperature it always uses 175 watts, doesn't it? Cyberpower 1500 900W is the one that I am planning to get.

jedimasterben

When a heater has 175 watts output, it does not mean when it runs at any level of temperature it always uses 175 watts, doesn't it? Cyberpower 1500 900W is the one that I am planning to get.

Heaters are digital - either they are full on, or full off. That UPS would still last less than 40 minutes with a 175w load.

• Like 1

Like Ben said you will be limited in operation. I would ideally get something to run a small pump and maybe a heater. Lights can be out for 2-3 days with zero effects on corals.

• Like 1

Like Ben said you will be limited in operation. I would ideally get something to run a small pump and maybe a heater. Lights can be out for 2-3 days with zero effects on corals.

Thanks Dave

• Like 1

Does anyone have a spectral graph of Nanobox array at 100%?

Working on getting a very accurate spectrograph of the arrays for people. Hoping to show this off in the next 3-4 weeks.

• Like 1

Solid thanks! Planning an upgrade for christmas but not sure if the Gooseneck will work for my setup (you can see why in my build thread). I would prefer not to do the hanging kit.

Does the quad come with two gooseneck mounts? Also, does anyone have some good pictures of how the goose neck looks a the base?

• Like 1

Solid thanks! Planning an upgrade for christmas but not sure if the Gooseneck will work for my setup (you can see why in my build thread). I would prefer not to do the hanging kit.

Does the quad come with two gooseneck mounts? Also, does anyone have some good pictures of how the goose neck looks a the base?

28239557464_4528ea906c.jpgnewclamp by David Fason, on Flickr

Two goosenecks, yes. You could also get away with two Tides. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply Dave.. Looking at the goosenecks, I assume they are not adjustable as to where they connect to the Unit?

If you look at the picture below, i highlighted possible spots where I could connect the goosenecks...although upon further thinking, I am not sure the goosenecks would work... maybe I could build a custom light rail for hanging to attach to my stand.

post-73577-0-56029700-1477489002_thumb.png