Cultivated Reef

The Kurupt 10G Build

KuruptPixel

What kind coral is that on the right? Your tank is amazing and not dirty at all. lol

On the far right island there is a bubble of zoas, 3 rics (well one Yuma I guess) and then the hammer. Farthest right on the main rock is a green finger leather. Not sure exactly because I snagged it as a frag from my lfs.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the far right island there is a bubble of zoas, 3 rics (well one Yuma I guess) and then the hammer. Farthest right on the main rock is a green finger leather. Not sure exactly because I snagged it as a frag from my lfs.

I love that big Yuma I think is the one I am looking at. Very nice.

I've decided that I like your aquascape so much, that I may steal it or do something as similar as I can. Sorry. It needs to happen.

Haha go for it! (I swiped it from others anyways!)

My original goal for a new tank was a shallow reef. I love them. I didn't have the footprint so I wanted to get some rock up as close to the surface as I could.

I'm gonna try to copy this as much as possible!!! I reasoned with myself that building this is better then buying a RedSea Reefer!!

When I have room... I will have a Reefer. Haha But this little set up is working well.

do you think you can show me a picture of how the filter is stacked? i have almost everthing you have already

I can take a pic next time I WC.

In the AC70 I have an inTank media basket. The NeoTherm 75w is stashed in the slim compartment to the left. In the very bottom compartment there's two bags of Chemi-Blue Blue Nano. In the top compartment is a bag of Purigen and on top of that is some filter floss. Water in --> Over heater --> Down --> Thru Chemi Pure --> Thru Purigen --> Thru Floss --> Water Out.

Sometimes I put extra floss in the heater compartment but I have the AC20 stacked with just floss right now. I am trying to figure out what to do with it. I use it to mostly create motion on the surface for now.

This seems long. I should have taken a pic. I should also rethink beer lunches...

You should put chaeto in the ac20 and have a mini fuge.

That was actually a plan I am considering. Except move everything into the AC20 and use the AC70 as the fuge. I'm just not sure I need it for a 10G. My other plan is to throw a few Mangroves in the AC20...

Not a bad idea. I'm doing just a single 70 with intank media basket. Chaeto fuge in the top of last chamber and chemi pure elite underneath. Filter floss in the thin vertical compartment with heater and purigen in the intake compartment. I have chaeto in my Aqueon evolve 8 right now and it seems to keep nitrates at a manageable level. Mostly under 10.

I'm also thinking about saving up for an ATO down the road to keep salinity from fluctuating at all.

Not a bad idea. I'm doing just a single 70 with intank media basket. Chaeto fuge in the top of last chamber and chemi pure elite underneath. Filter floss in the thin vertical compartment with heater and purigen in the intake compartment. I have chaeto in my Aqueon evolve 8 right now and it seems to keep nitrates at a manageable level. Mostly under 10.

I'm also thinking about saving up for an ATO down the road to keep salinity from fluctuating at all.

Nice! Thats a clever stack! What kind of light are you using for it? My concern would be night lighting since it's in our bedroom.

I have an ATO (Tunze Oso Universal) but because the tank is rimmed I have to figure out a way to get the float switch in without making a huge deal of it. I don't mind just dropping in some top up when I get up and go to bed anyways. It's one less thing that can fail and leak haha.

Nice! Thats a clever stack! What kind of light are you using for it? My concern would be night lighting since it's in our bedroom.

I have an ATO (Tunze Oso Universal) but because the tank is rimmed I have to figure out a way to get the float switch in without making a huge deal of it. I don't mind just dropping in some top up when I get up and go to bed anyways. It's one less thing that can fail and leak haha.

I think I'll just use the stock light that came with my evolve 8. I'm going to build a hood around it so the light doesn't leak out.

Nice choice in coral. I dig this tank, keep up the good work!

Thanks! I like your cow.

I think I'll just use the stock light that came with my evolve 8. I'm going to build a hood around it so the light doesn't leak out.

I painted the tops of the AC's matte black so that'll help but I'll have to figure out something for the sides if I go this route.

I painted the tops of the AC's matte black so that'll help but I'll have to figure out something for the sides if I go this route.

You could always stick one of those magnetic fuge lights on the back side and black out the front of the AQ.

After seeing your awesome tank, I wish I had painted mine blue… It makes it look like you're snorkelling in a shallow reef with tons of sunlight! I have a 10g and ac70 sitting around, must resist….

Haha thanks! I know everyone does the black and I get why but since it IS only 10G's I was hoping it would open up the light a bit more and feel bigger than it really is.

Only a few weeks until I set up he new tank. How do you like the mp10? I'm thinking about ordering one. Also, I think I'm also going to paint my back blue, but maybe one shade darker than you. What color did you end up choosing?

Only a few weeks until I set up he new tank. How do you like the mp10? I'm thinking about ordering one. Also, I think I'm also going to paint my back blue, but maybe one shade darker than you. What color did you end up choosing?

Sweet! The MP10 is awesome! It's a small tank and it really is overkill for it, especially with the AC70 and AC20 pushing water. I rarely run the MP10 more than the first 3-4 notches. I bought it knowing I will use it in an upgraded/larger tank down the road. However, the size of it inside the tank is nice! For a tank this size the control is VERY helpful, over other pumps that are just one speed. So anyways, if you want to pay the price - it's worth it for sure. The options and flexibility are great for any expansions down the road... you know you will... we all do... we all do... :) Just buy the best equipment you can because you'll end up getting it eventually once you find out the lower quality stuff just isn't what you need/want anyways.

The blue I used is Rust-Oleum 'Oasis Blue'. I bought 4 shades of blue (the vfx artist in me) and found the brightest one, the one I wouldn't have chosen first, was the best and the one I ended up using. My initial thinking was go a darker blue because the lights would brighten it up but I found it didn't work like that. It felt too dark...maybe more deep ocean haha.

Sweet! The MP10 is awesome! It's a small tank and it really is overkill for it, especially with the AC70 and AC20 pushing water. I rarely run the MP10 more than the first 3-4 notches. I bought it knowing I will use it in an upgraded/larger tank down the road. However, the size of it inside the tank is nice! For a tank this size the control is VERY helpful, over other pumps that are just one speed. So anyways, if you want to pay the price - it's worth it for sure. The options and flexibility are great for any expansions down the road... you know you will... we all do... we all do... :) Just buy the best equipment you can because you'll end up getting it eventually once you find out the lower quality stuff just isn't what you need/want anyways.

The blue I used is Rust-Oleum 'Oasis Blue'. I bought 4 shades of blue (the vfx artist in me) and found the brightest one, the one I wouldn't have chosen first, was the best and the one I ended up using. My initial thinking was go a darker blue because the lights would brighten it up but I found it didn't work like that. It felt too dark...maybe more deep ocean haha.

Awesome! I think ill do it. I like that it takes up less space and has the wave modes to vary the flow. Maybe I'll copy your color too haha! I'll only have this one tank, so I want all the best stuff. Maybe someday, if my wife allows me to expand, I'll be able to go bigger.

Thanks.

I pulled the trigger. No cyber Monday deals so I just got it. I added the foam covers for it too in case I decide to do an anemone later on. It's in the mail. I'll have to go out later and get my spray paint too haha.

What mode do you use with the mp10? Also, I was thinking about the possibility of putting the aquaclear 70 on one end of the tank and the mp10 on the opposite to get opposing flow. Not sure if you tried that and how it worked out.

Archived