Pod Your Reef

The Kurupt 10G Build

KuruptPixel

Apparently I have exceeded my allotted space for attachments. I will have to figure out how to post pictures later...

I did the same thing when I first got on here....exceeded my space for attachments that is. I opened a photo bucket account and when I download a pic then I can copy it here. That works pretty well and is easy enough even for a not so techy person like me.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fine Photobucket. You win.

Kurupt10G_Sept15_Brain.jpg

Kurupt10G_Sept15_Brain2.jpg

Torch!

Kurupt10G_Sept15_Torch3.jpg

Kurupt10G_Sept15_Torch1.jpg

Kurupt10G_Sept15_Torch2.jpg

Kurupt10G_Sept15_Torch4.jpg

The Devil's Armour.

Kurupt10G_Sept15_DevilsArmour1.jpg

Kurupt10G_Sept15_DevilsArmour2.jpg

Kurupt10G_Sept15_Stars1.jpg

I went to get a couple more snails for the Crew and ended up bringing this Hammer home. It has 6 heads and growing 4 more tiny ones around the base. It's nice. It's getting used to things.

Kurupt10G_Sept15_Hammer2.jpg

Kurupt10G_Sept15_Hammer3.jpg

Kurupt10G_Sept15_Hammer1.jpg

I did the same thing when I first got on here....exceeded my space for attachments that is. I opened a photo bucket account and when I download a pic then I can copy it here. That works pretty well and is easy enough even for a not so techy person like me.

Yeah everything I could find on the topic was pretty outdated as of a few years ago and none of the techniques were still valid. I opened a Flikr account but that was weak and it made me open a Yahoo email address. I didn't know Yahoo was even still a thing. AH well.

Photobucket is WAY easier!

I could send you a vial of reef roids to try out for just the $$ of shipping ($3?). It's a sample from RAP, lasts a long time

I am feeding it Reef Roids a couple times a week. This stuff is good! But thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit choked with the Kessil setup. It's nice and all and makes the sand shiny but the fact you can't dim it on or off, even with the Spectral Controller, is very frustrating. Let's go Kessil, figure that 5% out would you! For the price you pay it's funny that it'll still scare the crap outta your fish when it blasts on and off.

I had my USA Orbit Marine LED sitting around so I threw it the front end of the tank. It doesn't block any of the Kessil light into the tank and I can use it as a moonlight. It works great! Oh, and it DIMS to 0%!!

Come on Kessil.

I am a bit choked with the Kessil setup. It's nice and all and makes the sand shiny but the fact you can't dim it on or off, even with the Spectral Controller, is very frustrating. Let's go Kessil, figure that 5% out would you! For the price you pay it's funny that it'll still scare the crap outta your fish when it blasts on and off.

I had my USA Orbit Marine LED sitting around so I threw it the front end of the tank. It doesn't block any of the Kessil light into the tank and I can use it as a moonlight. It works great! Oh, and it DIMS to 0%!!

Come on Kessil.

I added a moonlight to my A160we (right on the gooseneck).

Come on Kessil.

This is what I used. I just wrapped it around the gooseneck:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XXAOES?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

http://www.amazon.com/TrueLumen-Linking-Module-Female-Connector/dp/B003XXEBRO/ref=pd_bxgy_199_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1DAF88ET9V7C03YJX7M2

20150528_210650.jpg

Ah nice. Good call. It's still silly you can't ramp it to 0. I guess if you run it through an Apex maybe? I'll end up getting a controller but don't sell a 'spectral controller' if it's really just an egg timer. Anyways. It gives the Orbit something to do and actually adds some really nice blues and reds so everything pops while the Kessil adds the 'sun'.

Ah nice. Good call. It's still silly you can't ramp it to 0. I guess if you run it through an Apex maybe? I'll end up getting a controller but don't sell a 'spectral controller' if it's really just an egg timer. Anyways. It gives the Orbit something to do and actually adds some really nice blues and reds so everything pops while the Kessil adds the 'sun'.

Yeah I have an Apex Jr, which controls the Kessil and the moonlight is also controlled by my Apex.

Halloween Hermit cruising around.

Kurupt10G_HalloweenHermit.jpg

My favorite Ric. ChoCho

Kurupt10G_BigRic_Sept15.jpg

FTS - SEPT 2015

Just tweaked a few things so most everything is closed up... could have probably waited on a picture... ah well.

Kurupt10G_FTS_Sept15.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tank is looking awesome. I'm going to be running a similar setup within a month hopefully. Was thinking about a sump however.

Nice! I really wanted to do a sump... and still might. I have been working out a plan to add an overflow box down into one. I don't think I'd have enough height in my shelf to get in and dig around the sump though. It would require a bit of an overhaul. I AM still looking into it though! Haha

I am finding the two AC's very awesome though. And if they clog/break down at some point they are cheap enough to just get rid of and replace fully, unlike a sump. I also have no plans for fish so the bio load will never really sky rocket.

Good luck with yours!

I used to run a single AC and it worked pretty well. Looked at the Eshopps nano overflow. Looks pretty cool and is quite small. No fish at all? At least throw a goby in there!

Thanks for the luck!

I used to run a single AC and it worked pretty well. Looked at the Eshopps nano overflow. Looks pretty cool and is quite small. No fish at all? At least throw a goby in there!

Thanks for the luck!

Yeah I am looking at the CPR CS50 overflow box into a Aqueon ProFlex sump. I just have to see what I can fit into the existing space underneath. Another issue is this tank is in our bedroom and it's basically dead silent. I am not sure if I can keep it that quiet if theres a sump and more moving water. I am willing to try though!

I still think 10Gs is too small to house anything fish wise. I don't want to kill anything because I was being selfish. I know there are a few hardier fish that do well in the smaller tanks so it may be a home down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

So I had a dream about getting some flow into the AC70.

I bought a small touch sensor air pump even though I KNOW you don't use them in reef tanks and there are a GREAT many reasons you don't. All of which I understand. The THEORY was to get an air line down to the bottom to gently move water around so nothing gets trapped down there. I had good intentions...

Don't do this. Ever.

It was a horrible decision and now I have to buy a gold fish or something just so I can use the air pump for something.

Aside from it spitting up off the surface, even with the lid on, it was loud. The actual pump was silent but the bubbles made my bedroom sound like I was white water rafting in Colorado or something. I was actually disappointed. I had read all the cons and I knew what it would do but I really didn't think it would work so badly haha. I underestimated the power of those bubbles!

Don't do it. I have read threads of people who actually use bubble wands and stuff so that's impressive. They must have salt creep up the walls!

• 3 weeks later...

So on Saturday I turned the AC's off for some feeding. I turned them on 20 mins later and was in a bit of a rush. When I got home I noticed the AC20 didn't actually start sucking up water so it basically ran dry for a good few hours. It was burnt out. I pulled it off the tank and let it cool but it never came back. I chucked it and bought a new one today. I may or may not use it though. I'll leave it boxed for now. I took out all the rubble from the AC70 and have Floss/ChemiPure/Purigen running in it which I think is really all I need.

I do have all the plumbing done for a DIY skimmer for the AC20, which of course, I JUST put together on the weekend it blew out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have scaled back fiddling with things on this tank. I have been feeding pretty heavily and everything has cleared up an insane amount. It helps that I am working 7 day weeks right now so I have less time to play with it. Everything has bloomed and seems to all be very happy. I assume the water was a bit too 'clean' and now that I am not worried about letting it go a bit everything can eat! Added some leather and a frag of some random cool blue and green polyps a few weeks ago.

Anyways, here are a few dirty pics...

Kurupt10G_JR_Nov2015.jpg

Kurupt10G_Twitch_Nov2015.jpg

Kurupt10G_Hammer_Nov2015.jpg

Kurupt10G_NewZoas_Nov2015.jpg

Kurupt10G_Leather_Nov2015.jpg

Kurupt10G_FTS_Nov2015.jpg

Also... sorry about the feeding clip haha. I didn't do any 'photo maintenance' before taking these so even the glass is a bit dirty!

Dirty?

Tank looks practically spotless! Love that torch coral

Haha Well dirty in that I didn't even bother scraping all the pods running around on the glass before I took these. The crew is doing a great job of everything else. I love that torch as well! It actually sprawls out even longer most of the day. Fills out the tank with some good movement. I have a smaller purple tip torch around back behind it. You can kinda see it poking out.

Very nice, scape makes it look alot larger than a standard 10

Thanks!

Nice tank! I'm doing something very similar after Christmas. For the same reasons as you too! I wanted larger, but 11 gallon was the largest footprint I could get and manage to allow my wife to appreciate it and not be mad at the mess I'm making. I was going to add a tunze 9001 skimmer to mine as well, as I think it will make things easier to keep in check and if I need to do a quick not thorough water change, it will help me there too.

Nice tank! I'm doing something very similar after Christmas. For the same reasons as you too! I wanted larger, but 11 gallon was the largest footprint I could get and manage to allow my wife to appreciate it and not be mad at the mess I'm making. I was going to add a tunze 9001 skimmer to mine as well, as I think it will make things easier to keep in check and if I need to do a quick not thorough water change, it will help me there too.

Haha yes. I have a section of the kitchen counter locked off for the various tools of the trade. I was thinking of adding that same skimmer actually but I really don't think it needs it. The weekly 20% WC keeps everything in check I think. However, I have no fish either so my bio load may be different.

Right now the AC70 is loaded with chemi-pure blue, purigen and floss but the AC20 is just stacked with floss. Don't even really need it running. I would love to throw some mangroves in it but am researching how that can/will work. They would be purely aesthetic as well anyways so I have to look into it more.

yea really awesome start man :)

Thanks! I am finally learning to leave it alone and let it work haha

Archived