Cultivated Reef

The Kurupt 10G Build

KuruptPixel

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KuruptPixel

I took down the AC20, AC70 and MP10 power head last night and gave it a good scrub down before my weekly WC tonight. I only do this every couple months. Usually it's just a media change out. This time there were a bunch of strange, soft, white, clingy things all over the bottom and lower flow areas. They look like little, mini flower bulbs that cling to the acrylic.I have seen smaller ones before, even in my 5G a while back but these ones were well fed. I am wondering what they would be? There is no light back there and they do not grow inside the display. I stupidly (sounds like it would be a word) didn't take a picture but I am hoping I am not breeding some form of alien no one has ever seen before... although that might be cool in itself.

KuruptPixel

Also, I switched out the Carbon/GFO from the AC70 and moved a new bag into the AC20. I had the space so I threw in about a dozen MarinePure Spheres I had rolling in a tub with just a powerhead for the last 5 months. I'm not sure how sound the idea was but I'm hoping it won't cause any ruckus. I was thinking it'll just add a ton more filtration. We'll see.

• 4 weeks later...
KuruptPixel

So this happened...

Woke up yesterday and as my toes hit the floor as I rolled out of bed I could feel the water. For once I was hoping our dog had pee'd in the corner for some odd reason. Unfortunately he didn't. The leak was real. It was the AC's. They were gurgling and spilling over the back which was running down and sitting under the stand... face to face with the hard wood.

My original idea was I just needed to quickly set up a tank in another room, transfer contents temporarily, lift the stand and dry it out, then just reassemble it all. This was going to have to happen no matter what so I dug out my old SpecV and Fluval canister and started to heat that up.

Since I was breaking down this tank, like you would do if you were... I don't know... upgrading to a bigger tank... New plan. New tank.

So I called one of my LFS to see if they had any Red Sea Reefer's in stock. A tank I have been thinking about since it came out. Space wise the Nano worked but I would have taken a 450 at this point and explained it to the wife that it will fit nicely in the living room later. They had one Nano left. I locked it in.

Finished the transfer, cleaned out the old tank then ran over and picked up the Nano. I had to drive out to another LFS to grab some new sand and pump for the return. Then to the dentist :(

It was a hectic, expensive day to say the least! More to come...

Archived